nyc with young old and old old

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 31st, 2008, 11:49 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am trying to plan something for my sister who is turning 50 and mother turning 80 in NYC. We would like to be near my young adult nieces who are moving to the upper west side 83rd and Amsterdam. We are limited since my mom needs a wheelchair to get anywhere.

Any suggestions for easy accessible hotel suite and restaurants for Sat. early evening dinner, Sun. brunch?

Also, how do cabs work when someone is handicapped?
Old May 31st, 2008, 12:28 PM

The 2 nicest, but still reasonable hotels nearby are the Lucerne (79th and Amsterdam) and On the Avenue (Broadway around 75th)

Nice places for dinner and brunch are Nice Matin (same building as the Lucerne hotel) and Sarabeth's (about 60th and Amsterdam). Both are places that get their share of 20-somethings as well as Grandmas! (especially Sarabeth's--it's a very calm place in that not always calm neighborhood...)

Cabs are not especially equipped for the disabled, If someone can get in and out with assistance, the driver has to allow you to store a wheelchair in the trunk.

Buses are all wheelchair accessible. There is a lift in the back or a ramp in the front---depends on the type of bus.

If you stay at the Lucerne, you are across the street from a bus stop that will take you across town to the Metropolitan Museum of Art in about 10 minutes.
Old May 31st, 2008, 04:10 PM

I had an opportunity to see a first floor room at Hotel Milburn (on 76th) and it appeared to be handicap accessible. You might check that one out as well. http://www.milburnhotel.com/

Ocean Grill on Columbus and 78th was really fantastic. Here is their website:

http://www.brguestrestaurants.com/re...rill/index.php

We ate at quite a few others but they were very small and probably not so comfortable if you're in a wheelchair. You also might try Isabella's for brunch but do make reservations. Here is their website:

http://www.brguestrestaurants.com/re...llas/index.php

Old May 31st, 2008, 04:40 PM

Agree that the Lucerne and On the Ave are the most pleasant hotels in the area. The Lucerne has the benefit of being on 79th St - so right at the bus stop - versus a couple of blocks for On the Ave.

Agree that buses are all handicap assisted - cabs are OK if the wheelchair folds into the trunk and the passenger can get in and out of the cab. (Be aware that some are SUV type cabs - that may be more difficult for someone to climb up into - depending on their problem. If one of those turns up just say no and wait for a regular cab - or vice versa.)
Old May 31st, 2008, 04:41 PM

But I'm confused - who is the "young old". I hope you don;t mean 50 - which is barely started into middle age.
Old May 31st, 2008, 05:16 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much. LOL from a young 55 year old hoping that is middle age.
Old May 31st, 2008, 05:18 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much to everyone's inside info. I am new to posting and can see why people love it--so helpful!
Old Jun 1st, 2008, 09:45 AM

Middle age lasts until 65. At that point you become a senior. At about 85 you become an elder. (I think OLD is more a state of mind - but can;t imagine that any adult thinks of 50 as "old".

If 50 or 55 isn't middle age I don't now what is - certainly not 20s or 30s. I would argue not 40's - but even if you include 40's - does that mean that only that decade is middle age?