Reload this Page >

NYC with a broken leg?

Search

NYC with a broken leg?

Search this Thread

Old May 21st, 2002, 08:08 PM
Denise

NYC with a broken leg?

We have been planning my 50th birthday trip to New York for months and have reservations for 4 nights at The Lucerne. The problem is my husband broke his leg last week. It is a small fracture of the fibula. He can put a little weight on it and is getting around on crutches fairly well. His doctor said he could go, but are we nuts? We had planned to go to a few museums, see all the sights, and go to a variety of restaurants. I would imagine using the subway would be too difficult. Would it cost a fortune to take taxis everywhere? Thanks for your replies.

Old May 21st, 2002, 08:10 PM
kc

I don't think taxis would cost a fortune.The city is pretty accessible for handicapped people.Museums etc are accomodating.You will just have to go slower and take it easier than you planned to.But it will be better than sitting home with his leg up watching tv! have a great birthday and a good time in NY~

Old May 21st, 2002, 08:18 PM
mjh

I think you would enjoy it more if you could both walk around at will. We seemed to walk for miles when we were there in Feb. The subways would be almost a definite no -- we had to walk forever to get to the right train and there were crowds who were often in a hurry. The only way I could imagine doing it would be if you switched to activities where you sat a lot -- like several plays close together in the theater district or close to your hotel, the Gray Line Tours where you don't have to get on and off, the boat trip around the island - you get the idea. Taxis are not considered expensive but if you had to take them almost everywhere they would add up. I found that being there for even a few days was very expensive so I'd hate to have you confined to your room because of the injury.

Old May 22nd, 2002, 03:57 AM
rqf

The Lucerne is very convenient to midtown west and east using public transportation and there are many restaurants within walking distance for breakfast, lunch and dinner. For example the M79 crosstown bus stops across the street and it takes you one block from the entrance to the MET museum. The same bus leaves you a short walk to the Natural History Museum. Both museums are a very short cab ride from the hotel and a taxi wouldn't cost much more than the bus. A subway station, 79th and Broadway, is one short block from the hotel. It is less than a 10 minute subway ride to the theater district. But the subway is not crutch friendly. There is also a bus running on Broadway (M104) that will leave you less than a block walk to almost every theater. A taxi from the hotel to the theater district will cost less than $7 and that includes a tip. Public transpotation fare is $1.50 a person. For short trips use a taxi; for longer trips use public transpotation if convenient to your destination.

Old May 22nd, 2002, 04:04 AM
gail

Crutch walking, even with partial weight bearing ability, gets to be difficult after a while - both in distance and days/weeks. Most people do not have the upper body strength to adequately support their body on crutches, so they rub on the underarm and upper chest area. Also, after a week or so many people start to experience lower back or hip discomfort because their body is out of its usual alignment. If it were me, I would postpone trip for 6-8 weeks until he heals. How disappointing! - but it will make for great stories in a few years.

Old May 22nd, 2002, 04:36 AM
danna

I agree... it depends on your husband's level of fitness. I broke tib and fib in a mountain bike crash and found that crutch-ing , although tiring, was no big deal once my leg stopped throbbing when it was not elevated. If your husband has no pain, and can work the crutches using upper body and abdominals without every letting the crutch rest under his arm, then I think he can swing it.

I went to Charleston, SC with my crutches (the cobbles were interesting) and have some really nice pictures of me and the crutches in the ocean.

Perhaps you could call the museums you are interested in and ask if they have wheelchairs available. I rode the "little rascal" thing they have at Walmart - it was a riot. Also, my able-bodied husband often tires in NYC and obligingly retires to the room in the late afternoons so that I can more easily shop. Perhaps your husband would not mind.

And another piece of unsolicited advice...run straight down to the DMV and get your husband a temp. handicapped permit for when you are back home. I was loathe to give mine up!

Good luck, get well, happy birthday!

Old May 22nd, 2002, 05:24 AM
Postpone

Give hubby a break (no pun intended)and go when he can walk, you both will enjoy it so much better. It's your call, since he doesn't want to disappoint you for your 50th. Take the high road and go locally for your birthday, then come in the fall when the weather is great and have a good time. Just think of all the fun you will have continuing to plan your vacation. Enjoy.

Old May 22nd, 2002, 05:29 AM
thereuare

I would also call some museums and ask if they have wheelchairs available to use inside their facilities.

The subway may be tough after a long day on crutches just from the fact that you need to walk up/down stairs to get into them, but you could probably do a mix of busses and subways.

Old May 22nd, 2002, 07:36 AM
Ellen

If it were me, I'd postpone. You will not take subways, the stairs will be a killer. Cabs are fine, BUT, if the weather is rainy, good luck getting one. Your husband is going to be miserable trying to navigate the city on crutches. It is difficult enough if you are in your 20's with a broken leg, but in your 50's, well, not to mean this insultingly (I am right up there with you), it will be pure torture. This is a walking town. Really. And the theater seats are close together and cramped, he will not be able to stretch out his leg. This is tourist season. The sidewalks are packed and people are going to be bumping into him and knocking him all over the place. If you don't have to do it, I say, don't. Go have a romantic dinner at home for your birthday and reschedule your trip for the fall.

Old May 22nd, 2002, 07:44 AM
liz

My Mom is handicap and last year we took her on that red bus and we took it everywhere to get around they pick up just about anywhere. That was the way to go and stay on the bottom floor for easy access to get on and off.

Old May 22nd, 2002, 08:30 AM
Serena

Denise, you did not say if you had already purchased your airline tickets or if you are available to go at another time. Sometimes the airlines will give you an extension on a ticket to book at a later date. If this is the only time you can go and it is for a short time, go ahead. I read somewhere that the theaters have special seats for handicapped people and also at a discounted rate. You might check that out. You can take the Greyline tour for one day, the cirle line tour another day. You can proabably get a wheelchair at the Met and that would a good way to spend another day. Also you might be able to get a taxi easier after an aftenoon matinee at the theater. A taxi seems the only logical way to get around. Hope you have a great birthday.

Old May 22nd, 2002, 09:40 AM
xxx

Denise:
I am so sorry! Happened to me ten yrs.ago with a trip scheduled to CA. My husband rented a wheel chair, and we took my crutches as well. It certainly made for an interesting trip. If you cannot delay your trip, try renting a wheel chair, if you are able to push him (and at our age, who does not need the upper-body workout?). Trying to do NY full time on crutches may be too difficult. Good luck!