Reload this Page >

Biltmore Museum-reviews?

Search

Biltmore Museum-reviews?

Search this Thread

Old May 16th, 2002, 12:15 PM
Marianna

Biltmore Museum-reviews?

Having lived in Miami, Florida, we have the VIZCAYA museum, Biltmore hotel, Planetarium, Coral Castle, etc;

Would someone please tell me their personal experience as to what they say and liked at the Biltmore Estate that wouldl make it worth it for me to visit?

I'd like personal experience feedback.Have already seen their website. Thank you in advance.

Old May 16th, 2002, 01:04 PM
Don

For $34 per adult, you have access to a guided tour and afterwards can freely roam the house and grounds. It is the closest that America has to a grand old European castle, IMHO. I would go again, but not anytime soon.

Old May 16th, 2002, 01:24 PM
Jane

Correction to Don's info--
You do not get a guided tour, you walk through rooms with a very small brochure listing a couple of highlights in each room, no info at all on how, why the house was built and by whom. An audio tour with some more detail is an extra $5-6 per person, guided tours are $12 and up extra, depending on how long the tour is, what areas they cover, etc. You also cannot roam the house freely, though you can stroll the gardens and go to the various shops (like some of the specialty shops in Disneyworld with decorative objects, fancy foods, etc)

Old May 16th, 2002, 02:59 PM
David

Biltmore House is expensive to visit, but it's worth it if you like these big historic houses. While Biltmore House is not terribly old, it is the biggest private home ever built in the US. The Vanderbilt who built it designed to be in the style of an old French chateau, and he copied many designs from this style. If you've ever been to the Loire Valley in France, you'll love Biltmore.

The gardens and grounds are also magnificent... definitely worth visiting while things are blooming. They have also opened a winery which uses grapes grown on the estate.

Old May 16th, 2002, 06:02 PM
more

He also went broke building the Biltmore.

Old May 21st, 2002, 12:41 PM
danna

Not sure of your definition of broke, but his decendents (whom I have met) still own the house and did not appear destitute to me.

Old May 21st, 2002, 01:00 PM
AD

Vanderbilt died young and left his wife and daughter without enough money to pay for the upkeep on the house and property. She ended up selling large portions of the estate and or/giving it to the government-- Biltmore Forest, Mt Pisgah area. She also divested herself of Biltmore Industries (which was designed to train children and young workers on the estate in woodworking and textile production) to the owner of the Grove Park Inn (where there is a small museum about this). Also, the reason Biltmore was originally opened to the public is to pay the cost of upkeep.

I assume you're correct about the descendants not being broke--Biltmore makes Disney look uncommercial! I'm sure the average visitor to Biltmore spends as much as the average Disney visitor, (between the entrance fees, extra tours, food (hot dogs from a stand @ $5.50 !), purchases at the winery and giftshop, etc.
But since it's privately owned, no shareholders and umpteen executives to account to and split the profits with!

Old May 21st, 2002, 01:15 PM
Lenore

If you are asking about the Biltmore Estate in Asheville NC, Jane's description above was quite accurate. I enjoyed my visit there. However, considering they only allow the public limited access and charge a huge entrance fee, I'm not sure I'd recommend it. Asheville in general was a rather boring little town, but there are many beautiful areas around there....if you are a nature lover.

Old May 21st, 2002, 01:34 PM
Carolyn

IMO - Hearst Castle has more to offer.

www.hearstcastle.org

Old May 22nd, 2002, 09:41 AM
danna

Lenore must not have spent much time in small - medium cities in the south. Asheville is a land of enchantment which I visit almost weekly to escape the boredom of Greenville , SC. Good restaurants, interesting architecture, lots of galeries, an indie movie house,etc. And as she mentioned, outdoor sports and views to die for.

That said, I don't think I would travel cross country just to visit Biltmore, but it would make a great regional trip, especially if you enjoy the outdoors. Pisgah (thank you Mr and Mrs Vanderbilt) is mountain bike and hiking nirvana.