NYC with a 5 yo girl

Oct 23rd, 2008, 06:08 AM
Original Poster

NYC with a 5 yo girl

I am planning on traveling to NYC with my 5 yo daughter in March 2009. I am taking her for her 5th birthday. She wants to see the Little Mermaid show and go to American Girl Place. She also wants to take a carriage ride in Central PArk. I am planning on going during the week on Amtrak from Baltimore. I am looking for suggestions on a relatively reasonable, but nice and clean place to stay that has a good location based on our planned activities. Any other suggestions on what to do, where to eat etc would be very welcome.
Oct 23rd, 2008, 06:17 AM

Define "relatively reasonable"
Oct 23rd, 2008, 06:19 AM
Original Poster

I know that NYC is expensive but I am just looking for a place that isn't disgusting that wouldn't be more than $350-400/night if possible.
Oct 23rd, 2008, 06:38 AM

What does "relatively reasonable" mean to you? If you give us a $ figure it would help to steer you in the right direction. Many people find hotel prices in NYC to be "unreasonable" and since you asked for a "relative" number you may not get what you want. For example a room at the Carlyle or the Four Seasons might run $800 to $1,000 per night. "Relatively reasonable" compared to that might be $600 to $700 per night. By the same token $150 per night might only get you a room in a "seedy" place more suited to an "adult rondezvous", if you get my drift.

As for things your daughter might enjoy consider taking her to FAO Schwartz (my 4 YO grand daughter really enjoys that place). Also, how about taking her for some hot chocolate at one of the chocolate shops along Madison Avenue (other contributors can probably give you the names of places). Or, you might want to treat her to afternoon tea at the Plaza Hotel.

Consider a stop at the Museum of Television and Radio, walk around Rockefeller Center and maybe go ice skating at the rink beneth the state of Prometheus or go skaing at Wollman Rink in Central Park. Check out what's playing at Radio City as your daughter might enjoy another show.

As far as where to eat is concerned - do you have any particular cusine in mind? What about a food budget. There are hundreds upon hundreds of restaurants in all price ranges. Do you want something simple or are you looking for something special. Some might suggest Tavern on the Green but this is a real "tourist spot" where the food is average but the prices high. You can always find good wholesome meals in any of the ubiquitous coffee shops you'll find on almost any block.

I hope this helps.
Oct 23rd, 2008, 06:41 AM
Original Poster

As far as food...I have a very picky eater. So any kid friendly Italian, soup/sandwich places. Not looking for any fine dining experiences. We aren't traveling for the food this time.
Oct 23rd, 2008, 06:44 AM

most of the "major" chain hotels (Hilton, Marriott, Hayatt Holiday Inn, Sheraton, etc.) in midtown will have rooms in that price range.
Oct 23rd, 2008, 07:05 AM

$350-400 is very doable for March. It's a half mile b/w the Little Mermaid theater and Rock Ctr./American Girl so you could stay inbetween the 2 at one of the hotels with the word Rockefeller Center in the name (there's a club quarters, a Rock Ctr. hotel and maybe one more). I think the rooms in these are mostly small.

Some nice hotels near Rock Center and American Girl that should be in budget

Affinia 50
Omni Berkshire
Intercontinental Barclay
Benjamin

The closest hotel to American Girl is the NY Palace and they have some Am Gl pkgs. I don't know the price but you could phone. http://www.newyorkpalace.com/tempting_offers/

Other hotels offer AmGl pkgs but the rates posted online are all thru the end of this calendar year. If you do a google search of American Girl hotel packages in NYC you can find them.

Some nice hotels near the theater
Marriot Marquis
W Times Square
Renaissance
Muse
Sofitel
Millenium Broadway

I would book one of these and make it cancelable and keep checking travelzoo.com as it gets closer (or sign up for emails). I think you should find some specials. The Millenium Broadway is often offered for $199/night on there.

As an aside, do you know about boltbus.com and megabus.com? They're a lot cheaper than Amtrak and buses are new.
Oct 23rd, 2008, 07:41 AM

If you want to try a museum, the American Museum of Natural History is great. As far as toy stores, FAO Schwartz is fun, but my kids always preferred Toys R Us to ride the ferris wheel inside.
Haven't been to American Girl Place in NY, but a few weeks ago took my daughter to AGP in Chicago - the AG website lists which hotels offer American Girl packages, and where the hotels are in relation to store. The packages include a special doll bed not available in stores, plus other extras, which were a great surprise for DD
Oct 23rd, 2008, 12:56 PM

I also have a picky 5 yr old, so I feel your pain. For kid-friendly I would try:

any coffee shop/diner (including the one called Coffee Shop at Union Square)

any Famous Ray's, Famous Original Ray's, etc pizza place

any of those big delis with the huge buffet and the long list of other options from soup, to sandwiches, salads, etc

lots of good choices in the food court in Grand Central -- two boots pizza is good and Brother Jimmy's has good mac and cheese

EJ's -- pancakes and more pancakes. 'nuff said.
Oct 23rd, 2008, 03:00 PM

Consider Ellen's Stardust Diner - regular diner food but has performing waitaff (out of work Broadway chorus boys and girls) that kids usually love.
Oct 23rd, 2008, 04:09 PM

Totally second the Ellen's Diner recommendation and would also suggest John's Pizza. There is also the Wax Museum on 42nd which, depending on the child, could be fun or scary. Langan's, just east of B'way on 47th (I am pretty sure) is nice for a casual meal, lovely Irish wait staff.

I used to take my girls to Steuben Glass when they were little. You must be very well behaved. They still talk about that. It's around the Plaza Hotel area, perhaps 58th or 59th and 5th. Also St. Patrick's is fun for them to see. Have a great time.
Oct 24th, 2008, 10:56 AM

we love the London NYC- all suite. Their standard rooms generally go for mid 300s.