NYC weekend - critique us please

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21st, 2005, 09:00 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are planning a family reunion in NYC the weekend of Memorial Day. We are all staying at the Affinia 50. There will be 3 kids under 9 years old, 3 couples in their 30's, and 3 couples 55+. So 15 people in all.

Our tentative itinerary follows:

Since everyone is coming in by various means and at different times we thought we might meet at the Rooftop Terrace of the Metropolitan Museum for cocktails. That way people who came in early could visit exhibits, etc.

Saturday AM we plan to go en masse to Ellis Island.

Saturday afternoon we will split up to wander as we will (Chinatown, Greenwich Village, etc).

Saturday night we would like to eat in Little Italy but can't find a place that will take reservations for all of us. We anticipate splitting into smaller groups, maybe even among neighboring restaurants.

Sunday we will be brunching at Tavern on the Green (I know I have read mixed reviews, this comes under the heading "just to have done it" I think).

We will exit at various times on Sunday, doing whatver we can fit in befor we leave.

Does this sound doable to you guys? Any things you would suggest?

My husband and I are coming in Thurday during the day - we plan on maybe doing a Circle Line tour (is this redundant with the ferry trip to Ellis Island) and trying to see a show that PM. We are interested in Wicked and Monty Python - again, any advice appreciated. I also want to walk the Brooklyn Bridge - when would you recommend that?

Thanks!
Old Apr 21st, 2005, 12:38 PM
Original Poster

ttt
Old Apr 21st, 2005, 12:46 PM
africa_lover

In my opinion you should skip the Circle line tour, if that is the boat tour of 3 hours around Manhattan.
We did it and it was boring, you don't see anything worth seeing, better take the bus where you can hop on and hop of, you will see much more, and you can stop whenever you're tired of listening to that person that tells you that NY 'ers are god's choosen people. Seriously, Ellis Island is great, but the Circle Line isn't.

Old Apr 21st, 2005, 12:49 PM

Your itinerary sounds fine. On Saturday morning, get to Battery Park early for the boat to Ellis Island. Otherwise, you may have a wait.
Unfortunately, you have picked the two most popular shows currently on Broadway. Both are probably already sold out for the performance you want. I recommend you call for tickets immediately, just in case there happens to be so availability. Just be forewarned, if there are tickets, they won't be prime seats. In general, your chances are slim unless you want to pay scalpers' prices.
Old Apr 21st, 2005, 02:39 PM

For a holiday weekend I'm sure you will need to pick another show unless you're willing to pay double or triple the face value of the tickets. I would go to playbill.com or broadwaybox.com to see which shows are offering advance discounts - so you don;t have to stand on line at TKTS.

You may want to consider doing something specifically for the kids - such as the zoo in Central Park - or the Museum of Natural History. (I think they would love the Circle Line boat ride - but it's a big chunk of time to committ to one activity - that could perhaps be used for a couple of other things.)

I'm not in favor of the bus ride - it's more just looking at - instead of experiencing something - and think the kids might get restless. (It's a better choice if you have more time and can get an overview and then decide what you want to come back and see in depth.)
Old Apr 21st, 2005, 02:47 PM

Other good shows are Avenue Q and
Putnam Spelling Bee.
Old Apr 21st, 2005, 02:54 PM

You should definitely walk the Brooklyn Bridge. Mid-morning on Friday is probably best. It will be very crowded on the weekend. Grimaldi's pizza on the Brooklyn side is amazing, to be followed by ice cream at the Brooklyn Ice Cream Factory on fulton ferry landing (you can also take the water taxi back to Manhattan).

For saturday dinner, have you considered one of the restaurants in chinatown? They can usually accommodate large parties. Joe's Shanghai is a favorite and they take reservations for groups of 10+ - otherwise you're relegated to waiting on the street with the rest of the shlubs.
Old Apr 21st, 2005, 09:26 PM

Chiming in to say, yes, it's doubtful that you could score tickets for Wicked or Spamalot with such short notice. If you are flexible about what you want to see, the two of you might take a shot at the half-price ticket booth. It's a gamble for a holiday weekend, but since it's the Thursday, there may be shows on the board (not the current big hits, though.) Avenue Q and Spelling Bee are fun, and some people have like Dirty Rotten Scoundrels as well.

Your plan of splitting into smaller groups for dinner is wise; especially in the smaller restaurants in Little Italy, going with a group larger than four often means a longer wait for a table.

It seems like you have a do-able amount planned; I would also skip the Circle Line, since you are doing the ferry.

A stroll through Central Park is always nice, on your way to or from the museum.
Old Apr 22nd, 2005, 04:16 AM

I agree with the consensus that tickets to Spamalot are difficult and Wicked about the same, but you could try. As far as when to walk the bridge, sounds like the only time you have is on Thurs when you arrive or possibly on Sat. afternoon after Ellis Island. If any of your party is interested in the tour inside the Statue, you must reserve right away.

I think you need a plan for dinner on Fri. night after the cocktails at the Met. If you agree post back for suggestions.

If you are Jewish (and maybe if you're not), you might enjoy Sammy's Roumanian for dinner on Sat. night. I think it's a great place to go with a big group. I'd check whether they can accomodate you. Otherwise, I agree Chinatown could be fun or even the village. IMO there are too many places as options for the group to have to split up. Little Italy ain't so special.

Your plan sounds doable. I agree there maybe needs to be some thought to the kids' likes. Make sure they get to stop at Dylan Candy Bar near Bloomingdales (not far from your hotel). They might also get a kick out of a ride on the Roosevelt Island Tram that's also just a walk from your hotel. BTW, there's an old Italian restaurant called Gino's right near Bloomingdales that might be a good option for the group. The other restaurant that comes to mind nearish your hotel is Metropolitan Cafe. It's a neighborhood place with a large garden that's family friendly.
Old Apr 22nd, 2005, 04:55 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for the great responses!

I think either Thursday during the day or Fri AM DH and I will walk the Brooklyn Bridge and probably skip the Circle line tour. Everyone lese is getting in later in the day on Friday.

The suggestions for the kids are wonderful - I am sure they will be very thankful to you all. Can you tell me more about the Roosevelt Island Tram?

I am also intrigued by the mention of Sammy's Roumanian and being Jewish - which we aren't, although the rest of the group might be able to pass I know I couldn't ;-) What is it and where?

I think my BIL gave up early on the large group dinner for Saturday - possibly because it has been so nightmarish in the past (it takes a lot to serve groups of 15 efficiently and not many are up to the task!) I would love to have more suggestions and maybe then I can take up the cause...

One other question - I understand both the Met and MOMA have rooftop cafes, any preferences? MOMA would be closer to the hotel, thoug I have more interest in the Met (and Central Park).

Thanks again!
Old Apr 22nd, 2005, 12:02 PM

Regarding the group dinner - there are a number of options in New York for large parties (even 15). It can be chaotic, but these places are basically set up to be boisterous. The food will be pretty good and the service ok.

Sammy's Roumanian is a great place - it's on the lower east side, serving traditional jewish food. The waiters are all insane and the food is way-heavy, but it's fun.

Chinatown is another option. I mentioned Joe's Shanghai (get the soup dumplings if you go), but Jing Fong (a cavernous dim sum place) and Dim Sum Go-Go are good too. And there are others, I'm sure.

If your family likes meat, Churrascaria Plataforma, a giant brazilian carnival-like place, is fun (the Tribeca outpost is slightly less crazy).

Finally, you could try Lombardi's pizza in Soho. The pizza is truly amazing and during the summer they have a roof deck that can accommodate large parties.
Old Apr 22nd, 2005, 12:49 PM

Sammy's Roumanian is not a good choice...it is dirty, cramped, and unpleasant!!! Went once would never, ever go again! The food looked terrible, I would not eat it, my husband did and he thought it was terrible. You might call Il Cortile in Little Italy. Attractive, clean, good service and excellent food. Very pleasant and accustomed to kids. (212-226-6060) Becco in the theatre district has expanded and is an excellent choice for wonderful food, good service, a fun place. But, not good to go with a group pre-theatre..too busy. But if you want to go 7:45 or later, you will enjoy it. (212-397-7597) If you want a real NYC experience..get tickets to "The Musical of Musicals" Off-Broadway, wonderful fun show. Great example of the enormous talent in NY. Doubt you can get tickets to Wicked or Spamalot even thru broker. Rooftop Terrace at Met has few places to sit. Keep that in mind, but maybe it won't be too crowded Friday pm of Memorial Day. Have the kids do a Treasure Hunt in the Museum. At the info desk they will have details.
Old Apr 22nd, 2005, 02:55 PM

If you walk across the Brooklyn Bridge, it can be very confusing as to where you end up in Brooklyn. I've read all the stuff on here about the ice cream store and all that and have no clue how to actually find it once you come over the Bridge.

There's a teeny, tiny map at the end of the bridge. And the end of the bridge is a through a long barrier through a major roadway in brooklyn. And then where are you? Do you have to turn about on some street and come back to the Waterfront.

Just wanted to let you know that walking across the Brooklyn Bridge is not as easy as it seems. However, it is easy from the Manhattan Side. I would suggest walking over it and then at the end turning around and walking back over the bridge to Manhattan.

And if someone wants to give better directions as to what to do in Brooklyn that would be very helpful.

Just my .02
Old Apr 24th, 2005, 01:39 PM

Ok, here are directions to get to the good stuff once in Brooklyn. Toward the end of the Brooklyn Bridge, veer to the left to exit down the stairs. At the bottom of the stairs, turn left. Walk down Washington and turn left on Front Street. Turn right onto Old Fulton Street. Grimaldi's will be on your right. If you keep walking down, you'll hit Fulton Ferry Landing (where the ice cream is) - the River Cafe will be on your right. If you want to explore Dumbo (including the fabulous Jacques Torres chocolate), turn right onto Water Street from Old Fulton and walk down a couple of blocks. It's really pretty easy and you can ask anyone for directions.

I also found this map, which is pretty useful:

http://gonyc.about.com/gi/dynamic/of...yn%2Fmaps.html