NYC via Newark

May 2nd, 2007, 12:37 PM
Original Poster

NYC via Newark

I am flying into Newark this Friday around midnight EST from a PST location. I will be conducting business the following Monday in New Brunswik, NJ.
I want to spend the weekend in Manhattan, but don't want to pay for the marked up hotel rates. Would it be worth it to stay in New Brunswik and commute into Manhattan?
What I want to do is stash my stuff in a locker @ the train station and wander the city Friday night until dawn! Worry about hotel Saturday evening.
I've travelled to London, Paris and Barcelona in the past and have always found things to do until early in the morning. Any suggestions on how to spend a Friday/Saturday?
May 2nd, 2007, 02:10 PM

There are no lockers at any train station in NYC. There used to be a baggage check at Penn Station, but you had to have an Amtrk ticket to use it--don't know if that's still true.

Another trick is to check your bags at a midtown museum or department store that offeres such a service, but they will not be open at your arrival time.
May 2nd, 2007, 02:32 PM

There are 24 hr. restaurants, clubs open late etc. but no idea about what to do with your luggage. There's a locker service near Macy's but it's closed by the time you arrive.
http://www.jsrentalocker.com/

I would bid on Priceline for a 3* hotel in Jersey City for the first night. You can usually get one for $60-90 and it will be the Hyatt or the Doubletree. (Jersey City is listed under NYC area airport hotels). For Sat., either stay in Jersey City or try Priceline for Manhattan. New Brunswick is further than you want to be to spend time in NYC. From Jersey City, there's a PATH train (like a subway) and those 2 hotels are near it.
May 2nd, 2007, 02:35 PM

i dont know of any such service (chking bags when you dont stay in that hotel etc) nyc hotels have been VERY strict as of late. I would def go w a jersey city hotel... but chk out a map or call and see if they're close to transport. there is a hotel in JC literally on top of the path train.
May 2nd, 2007, 03:45 PM
Original Poster

I suppose storing baggage anywhere is pretty strict. I've taken the advice of many and was able to book a 3 night stay in Manhattan w/n the price range I was looking for.

Thanks for the tip on 24hr restaurants and clubs. If anyone has any specific suggestions on lounges, bars, clubs let me know! I've been told some popular bars stay open til 4am...that's what I'm looking for.
May 2nd, 2007, 04:16 PM

I do not believe any of the NY airports or train stations have baggage storage. The terrorist concern has long since eliminated that aspect of travel.

I don't know what your budget is, but you might try one of the hotels in Jersey City. (There are several near the Newport Path Station.)

You could stay in New Brunswick, but the round-trip cost for the train might negate some of the savings.
May 2nd, 2007, 04:27 PM

Staying in New Brunswick is a major waste of your time - and the train fares back and forth are not cheap. If you don;t want to stay in Manhattan (but frankly I think the few extra $ are more than worth it) you could stay in one of the hotels in Jersey right outside NYC - such as the Hyatt in Jersey City. You can probably get somewhat better rates - and can be in the city in 30 minutes or so.

And - there are no lockers in NYC since 9/11. Only people with Amtrak tickets can check luggage in a special section in Penn Station.