NYC upper west side restaurants

Nov 16th, 2008, 12:23 PM
Original Poster

NYC upper west side restaurants

We're staying at The Lucerne on Nov 28th, and would like to take our daughter out for a special 13th birthday dinner. Any recommendations? We don't want anything fancy (but no dumps either) since we're planning to go ice-skating afterward (is the rink at the Museum of Natural History going to be open then?). We were thinking of Sarabeth's, but the reviews don't sound all that great. We'd like a place with somewhat of a variety of food, not just French, Italian, etc., but a mix. Thanks for any help.
Nov 16th, 2008, 12:31 PM

Isabella's is excellent and is celebrating it's 20th anniversary.

Nov 16th, 2008, 08:33 PM

Rinks are at Rock Center, Bryant Park and Central Park.

Gekko's suggestion of Isabella's is perfect for what you're looking for.
Happy BD to dd!
Nov 17th, 2008, 02:19 AM
Original Poster

Thanks. Isabella's looks perfect. On the Museum of Natural History's website, they show an outdoor ice rink opening in November, supposedly the first in its 140 year history. We were hoping that it might be less crowded than Rockefeller Center (the fewer people who witness my skating ability, the better ).
Nov 17th, 2008, 08:23 AM

The Museum of Nat'l History does show a rink - although I've never actually seen it. You just need to consult the times - since may rinks are blocked off at certain hours for hockey teams or special events.
Nov 17th, 2008, 12:43 PM

I'm not sure when the rink is opening... but I did read about it and it sounds like it will be wonderful! Isabellas is great.. I'd recommend making a reservation now. It tends to book up. Another nice alternative is Ocean Grill. They are a block from Ocean Grill... and have the same owners.
Nov 17th, 2008, 06:22 PM

Wow, the rink is news to me. Where could they put it? I hope they're not taking away any of the open property on 81st St. Anyone know?
Nov 17th, 2008, 06:33 PM
mp

check it out - it's going to be on the terrace:
http://www.amnh.org/museum/polarrink/
New York, October 2008 — The American Museum of Natural History will open an outdoor skating rink for the first time in its 140-year history on Saturday, November 22nd. The Museum's new Polar Rink, made from synthetic ice, is located on the Arthur Ross Terrace, with magnificent views of the glowing Rose Center for Earth and Space and the surrounding Theodore Roosevelt Park. Skaters will glide around a 17-foot-tall polar bear made of openwork stainless steel festooned with pine boughs and twinkling lights. Engaging facts about polar bears and the Earth's polar regions, as well as "green" tips and suggestions, will surround the rink, extending the Museum experience beyond its halls.
The skating rink will remain open through February 28, 2009. The rink is 150 by 80 feet and can accommodate up to 200 people during a one-hour skating period.

The Polar Rink will be open from 12–8 pm Monday–Thursday, 12 pm–10 pm on Fridays, 11 am–10 pm on Saturdays, 11 am–8 pm on Sundays, and 11 am–10 pm on holidays. Tickets will be $10 for adults, $9 for students and seniors, and $8 for children 3-12 years old, and include skate rental. Members' tickets will be $8 for adults, $7 for students and seniors, and $6 for children 3-12 years old. All children under 10 must be accompanied by someone 16 years of age or older. For more information visitors should call 212-769-5200. Tickets can be purchased at any of the Museum's entrances or enter directly through the Weston Entrance on Columbus Avenue and 79th Street or via the Terrace stairs.
Nov 17th, 2008, 07:02 PM

mp - this sounds amazing and it will really enhance visits for families. I must have been sleeping. Is Bloomberg still mayor?
Nov 17th, 2008, 11:45 PM

Great news about the rink.

I've eaten at Isabella's and enjoyed it very much.
Nov 18th, 2008, 02:50 AM
mp

CPG - from what I've read, you've had enough to deal with - hope your life returns to normal very, very soon - and that you and your husband are skating or watching skaters and talking to giant polar bears this winter!
Nov 18th, 2008, 06:54 AM

mp - I do not mean 'LOL' when I say, you REALLY made me laugh out loud.

Thanks - that felt good!
Nov 18th, 2008, 02:35 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the advice. The kids are excited to try out this new ice rink, so I'll make sure I post about our skating experience.

Nov 30th, 2008, 09:58 AM
Original Poster

We just got back from our quick trip. Isabella's was perfect for a special birthday lunch for our daughter. We enjoyed the Museum of Natural History. We were all too tired to ice skate at the Polar Rink, but we sat outside next to it to watch others skate. What a great location. The rink wasn't crowded at all (about 5:30pm on the day after Thanksgiving) and the ice looked smooth and the rental skates looked decent.
Thanks for everyone's help.
Nov 30th, 2008, 10:23 AM

I'm thrilled you enjoyed "perfect" Isabella's. It's been one of my spots on the UWS for a long time.

Come back and see us again soon.
Nov 30th, 2008, 11:21 AM

perhaps i'm too late, but we just went to the rink at 79th and columbus last night. we waited on line, we paid, we waited on another line, put our skates on, and left after 1 minute. it is not ice, but a synthetic material. (they did warn you) this somehow made it more difficult than actual skating. people/children were mostly "walking" or stomping about because that's about all you could do. it was too bad, it could have been lovely.
Dec 1st, 2008, 03:17 AM
Original Poster

Too bad on the ice-skating. We must have gotten lucky on the timing. I did see 2 ladies in line paying, but that was it. A handful were skating but it was nothing like the crowds at Rockefeller Center. Since we didn't skate, I have no idea on the type of ice, and failed to pay attention to whether the skaters were actually gliding versus walking.