Search

NYC Trip Summary

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13th, 2007, 02:02 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NYC Trip Summary

Firstly, I am somewhat exhausted as we just returned today so I wish to start by itemizing from a "Did you know?" perspective:

So Here goes....
Did you know

If you google NYC Explorer Pass you can purchase up to five sightseeing options at a significantly reduced rate? We did and as I found, saved moe than $150.00 in ticket prices to the major attractions.....according to NYC Chamber, these are considered to be..."Top of The Rock" which is a rooftop view atop Rockefellar Center. The Elevator Ride alone is right out of Willy Wonka. Kids loved it. The other attractions are the NY waterways harbor tour which not only affords you better geographical perspective of NYC but a historical one as well. You pull in front of Lady Liberty and sail under the breathtaking bridges that span the harbor including the one and only Brooklyn Bridge. The other sights that are touted are the CitySights Bus Tours that allow you to Hop On/Off if you choose while the bus excursion traverses major areas of the city like Tribeca, East Village, MidTown or Uptown/Harlem, Museums NOT including Nat History.

Did you know that the Museum of Natural History, which should be considered one of the worlds "wonders", charges extra to see certain exhibits in addition to the hefty admission price? We learned this only later as I tried to view the "Mermaids and Dragons" exhibit. My kids were very disappointed. They have a great exhibit that is part of the admission called the BigBang which for any one who has a curiosity for this subject will be pleasantly surprised. Current exhibits also include "Frogs" with 200 species at an extra charge.

Did you know? For those who have a fear of the subways don't...Pick yourself up a subway map of NYC at your local Barnes and Noble as I did, easy to carry around and is 100% accurate. The system is easy to use, safe, clean and financially superior to cabs. Children under 12 don't pay. We purchased an UNLIMITED METRO CARD in the subway itself, this was $24 FOR EACH card good for seven days of unlimited use of the subway and or bus....Hands down best investment....For those new to the subway/metro card...when you swipe it, and the readout on the turnstile says "GO" you better Go! otherwise you have to wait 18 minutes before you can use the card again....try that with two kids...

Did you know? If you park your vehicle in any of the Garage Lots within the nearest vicinity of your hotel, the hotels will typically credit your parking $6 per day.

Did you know? The Toys R Us at seventh and 44th has an indoor ferris wheel? You purchase your $4 tickets and they are good for one "TIMED" ride. This is very popular with kids of all ages, the cars are themed MandM's, Buzz LightYear, CabbagePatch, E.T. etc..the ride last about 2 minutes so don't expect anything grand, the trade off is that the line goes very fast. Inside ToysRUs you will also find bright colorful figures of your favorite kids tv and Movie stars like Dora the Explorer and Boots, Shrek and Superman. The store is three floors and has a dream candy department on the third floor.

Did you know that if you are in Tribeca lkg for a restaurant don't try getting in before six pm as most establishments are CLOSED except the bar in those that have them.

Did you know that underneath Bryant Park is a storage unit for the NY Public Library? In this park a movie plays during the summer free of charge on sunday nights.
Next to Bryant Park which is on Sixth and 40th-ish is adjacent to the Bryant Hotel, a stunning Black and Gold Structure that stands out in both the night and day skyline. On the 6th ave side across from the Park is Pax WholeFoods....the freshest and the best..purchased freshly cooked
salmon with a side of couscous and salad for $8. Their coffee is also delicious....Had there Yogurt Granola parfait ($5.) for breakfast and it held me over for a number of hours...They have a few sites in the city so if you see one, go. Great food, coffee and prices...

Did you know? There is a GREAT Diner in Midtown called the Brooklyn Diner which serves up the best fries, burgers, Milkshakes and typical "Diner" fare in a great atmosphere? Each booth is embellished with plaques of the rich and famous who sat in them...Kurt Russell sat his bottom where I was, "OOH Baby" Please note the Brooklyn Diner has two sites in the city. DO NOT GO TO THE 43rd Street Diner as their service and food is left in the dust to their uptown sister.
Another Diner Called Ellen's Stardust on Broadway in Times Square also serves up a great breakfast and a great price all the while the waitstaff is singing showtunes hoping to be noticed by the Broadway BigWigs....Very Cute and the Kids enjoyed it.

Did you know an alternate to cabs in NYC is the PEDI cab where someone will Bike you across town? Drawback, seats two...

We stayed at the Sofitel on 44th and 6th, 200 per night, in the middle of everything, great service, quiet inside, "around the corner" type walking distance to Times Square, Rockefellar Center and Bryant Park.. WOuld recommend to anyone, great prices on priceline.

OK, so much for the exhaustion....I will write more later....

Cheers.

jen
Old Aug 13th, 2007, 02:02 PM
Original Poster

Old Aug 13th, 2007, 02:09 PM

Do you know, it's spelled "Rockefeller".... ??

Sorry, but this is a huge pet peeve of mine! Glad you had a good time in New York.
Old Aug 13th, 2007, 02:17 PM
Original Poster

Liz, as this is a pet peeve of mine as well, I appreciate your feedback however, a tad of leniency should be thought of before imposing your judgement in what is supposed to be a judgement-free arena. A little sympathy for the exhausted but enthused would go a long way. Think before you write, ask yourself if it's really worth it. I hope everyone else might pull something from my post other than what "peeves" them. Goodbye Fodors for now....
Old Aug 13th, 2007, 02:23 PM

Did you know? You can get a subway map for free from the attendant in the booth in any subway station.
Old Aug 13th, 2007, 02:53 PM

So, you're leaving Fodors because I corrected the spelling of a national landmark? Seems a little excessive. Would you correct someone if they spelled it Linkoln monument? Warshington, DC? Atalantic ocean? You can't search by those spellings...

Glad you had a good time in NYC, my hometown. It's a wonderful place to explore, its sounds like you and your family had a nice time. Sorry I seemed to have caused you to flee, that was not my intention, and I'm sure that your trip report will be used and appreciated by many Fodorites.
Old Aug 13th, 2007, 02:57 PM

Did you know that the hefty admission at the Natural History Museum is a suggested price and you can just pay whatever you wish?
Old Aug 13th, 2007, 02:59 PM

desertbound, sounds like you had a fun trip!
I wanted to correct one thing, for the benefit of other visitors.
Regarding subways (and buses)quot;Children under 12 don't pay"

I know many people who wish that it was true,but unfortunately it's not.

It used to be free for kids under 6, but the transit system didn't want to get involved with proving age (after all, kids=, don't generally have ID cards) so they changed it to free under a certain height.

It really makes no sense, but it's supposed to be roughly kids under school age.
Certainly some people have kids duck under the turnstiles to avoid paying,but the rules say otherwise...
http://mta-nyc.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/...hp?p_faqid=449
Old Aug 13th, 2007, 03:01 PM

GREAT trip report!
Old Aug 13th, 2007, 03:59 PM

Is the entrance fee for the Museum of Natural History really that hefty in comparison to the cost of a move - $11 - that you'll forget 10 minutes after you walk out.

And yes, the special exhibits are very expensive to mount - and you have to pay extra.

Unlike every other country in the developed world out government chooses to provide very minimal support for cultural institutions - so the people that go have to pay to support what they see.

And yes - most restaurants in trendy areas don;t start serving dinner at 5 in the afternoon - since their customers are usually at work until at least 7 or so. If you go to family neighborhoods restaurants often start serving earlier - but many people in NYC routinely have dinner at 8 or later - since that's when they get home from work.
Old Aug 13th, 2007, 04:11 PM

Nice report desertbound. Thanks.

I didn't know that you could pay whatever you wish at AMNH. I thought it well worth the money as the experience was priceless. It sounds as though you enjoyed it also.
Old Aug 13th, 2007, 04:27 PM

desertbound:

Looking forward to more. Please come back when you are not so tired and complete your trip report. It is always so interesting to hear about how other people enjoyed NYC and what they did.

We go back once again in October - can't wait.

Sandy

Old Aug 13th, 2007, 05:40 PM
maj

Thanks for taking the time to write your trip report. Hope there is more to come. I generally get new information every time I read one -- or they at least are an enjoyable way to relive my own vacations.
Old Aug 13th, 2007, 06:24 PM

Here's a link to the Bryant Park Summer Film Series Desertbound mentioned. After tonight, one last screening next week: *Psycho* under the stars!
Please note that the series is on Monday nights, not Sundays.
Old Aug 14th, 2007, 07:10 AM

Sounds like you had a great trip!

The fact that the Sofitel gives you a $6/day credit for parking doesn't mean that other hotels do the same. There is a really inexpensive iconparking.com garage on the same st. as the Sofitel though (across from the Algonquin hotel) that is very good value. If you stayed there and got a credit from your hotel, you did well.