Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

NYC Trip Report: 4 Shows, 3 Museums, and a Mouse

Sep 24th, 2008, 09:33 AM
Original Poster

My mom (50’s and more energetic than I am) and I (a 25 year old theatre lover who always needs an afternoon nap) went to NYC for a long weekend in July for the second year in a row. I do the majority of the planning, and in return my mom gets breakfast every morning and doesn’t hate me when I’m cranky and need either food or a nap.

Hotel: Westin New York at Times Square via hotwire. It’s the first time I’ve stayed in the theatre district, and I was very, very happy with my choice. I’ve stayed at the Affinia Dumont (Murray Hill) and the Millennium Hilton (financial district) in my last trips, and greatly preferred the Westin. It was close to theatres and a ton of subway lines. Plus, I live in a lovely residential neighborhood and loved the lights and energy of Times Square as a vacation. Anyways, when we arrived, the incredibly kind and helpful Sebastian at the front desk upgraded our room to a double/double on the 41st floor with views of the river and Hell’s Kitchen. Overall, the hotel was completely fantastic, the staff friendly, and I would stay there again in a heart beat.

Lunch at John’s Pizzeria on 44th St. My mom and I split a large sausage pizza and a pitcher of iced tea (we had plenty of pizza to share and took left overs with us.) Delicious! On problem: after they delivered the pizza, there was some commotion in the corner, and 3 guys came running over with brooms, and a mouse went streaking past our table. I have an irrational but very intense fear of mice, so I screamed. They couldn’t seem to find the mouse, and they started to move tables and stuff looking for it, so I requested to be moved, and they obliged. Other than that, it was great, and with tax and tip, the total was $32.

After pizza, we wandered a bit and went to the grocery store so I could get some cans of Diet Coke and a NY Times and Post.

Around 3:30, we went back to the hotel, gathered our bags and headed to our spectacular room. It was spacious, spotless, and had the great heavenly beds. We settled in and my mom walked over to Madison Avenue and took the bus up to the Met, since it is open late on Fridays. I showered and got dressed for the theatre, and decided to take a stroll through Rockefeller Center, up Madison Avenue, and down Fifth ave. I did some browsing and window shopping. It was a lovely day.

I saw Boeing-Boeing that evening. I’m a huge Bradley Whitford fan. This show was great – superbly acted and incredibly funny. Got my ticket through Broadway Box – left orchestra, row K on the aisle – great seat.

Saturday

Got up at 8, ate breakfast from the deli next door, (egg and cheese sandwich for 2.50) got ready and took the subway downtown to meet the ferry to Ellis Island. We had purchased tickets online in advance, and we were so, so thankful we did! We bypassed getting off at Liberty Island, and went straight to Ellis Island. My mom and I watched the movie at Ellis Island (it was good) and then enjoyed the museum. I think the whole thing (standing in the security line, taking the ferry both ways and touring the museum) took about 5 hours.

After Ellis Island we took the subway to Union Square. We browsed the green market, and then did some quick shopping at Filene’s Basement. I am a discount shopper extraordinaire, and we don’t have a Filene’s in our city. However, by this time we were both incredibly hungry so we walked down to Grey’s Papaya and had the recession special. 2 hotdogs and a drink for 3.50. Yum! I then decided I had to have dessert at Pink Berry. It was very yummy, refreshing, and pretty healthy! We don’t have a Pink Berry at home.

After Pink Berry, we went to the hotel and I took an hour and a half nap. Then we woke up, got dressed up, and went to Gypsy. At the beginning of the show, the announcer said “Patti Lu Pone has injured her foot.” There was a HUGE gasp, and then the announcer said “So she will be performing the show in isotoners.” People clapped, and the show was riveting. Patti Lapone is truly incredible. Sat in the Mezzanine – Row A seat 10 (my mom was Row B seat 10.) The seats were good, except for the lady behind me who didn’t turn off the ringer on her phone and decided to sing along.

My mom waited at the stage door while I went to meet a friend so she could ask Patti LuPone to sign my playbill. I have a great mom

After Gypsy I met a friend at Sardi’s who is even more into theatre than I am (we met last year while we were in the audience of Rent) and happened to be in New York at the same time this summer. We had dessert and talked shows for an hour and half.

All in all, a great night!

(TCB for Sunday and Monday.)
Sep 24th, 2008, 10:42 AM
yk

You trip report is so enjoyable! BTW, you're not the only person who needs an afternoon nap. Although I'm a decade older than you, I have always (and still) needed an afternoon nap, esp if there's a show or concert to catch in the evening! In fact, when I plan my trips, I always include "afternoon nap" in my itinerary.

Looking forward to read the rest of the trip!
Sep 24th, 2008, 11:21 AM

Love it! Thanks!
Sep 24th, 2008, 05:33 PM

bethke14:

More please - great details.

Love NYC.

Sandy
Sep 24th, 2008, 06:58 PM

Glad to hear you enjoyed Boeing, Boeing. DH and I will be seeing it next Wednesday!
Sep 25th, 2008, 08:07 AM
Original Poster

I'm glad you're enjoying my report-it's fun to write and remember.

I love that other people build nap time into their itinerary (and indeed, I do too - it always says "back to the hotel to rest" from about 4-6 each day.)

Boeing-Boeing was absolutely hilarious, and the acting was top-notch. Enjoy it!

Sunday

Woke up early, and went to Katz’s deli for breakfast. Mmm, pastrami and gigantic iced coffees at 9:30a.m. It was delicious. After breakfast we wandered around the Lower East Side for a bit, and then went to the Tenement Museum for the 11:30 “Getting By” tour – we purchased tickets in advance online, and were glad we did. The whole morning was great, and we loved the Tenement Museum. It has a great gift shop, a good movie you can watch while you’re waiting for the tour to start, and two immaculately clean bathrooms.

After the tour, we rushed back to the hotel to change for the 2:00 p.m. In the Heights performance. Our seats were amazing (center orchestra row e and center orchestra row f) Words cannot describe how much I love this show and its star/creator – Lin-Manuel Miranda. I am dying to see it again. The music, choreography and cast are all completely incredible. Emotional show for me – I must have cried three times. This was my favorite show of the trip. My mom had been hesitant to go, but she loved it too.

After In the Heights, we walked over to the Nederlander to try to get rush tickets for Rent. We didn’t win (but we’re ok with that, as we won the last time when we really, really wanted to) however, after they did the lottery (which is the first 2 rows for $20/a ticket) they announced that for the evening show, orchestra seats would be $55 and mezzanine would be $30, so I got a ticket in center orch row L. Rent is my absolute favorite show (ever) and I had to see it one more time before it closes in September. There were several understudies for lead roles, but it was still good and I’m glad I got a chance to say goodbye to Rent on Broadway.

Monday

We lounged a little bit, packed up, and headed out. We wanted to find this particular Broadway store that sells these really great cards that have pictures of show marquees on the front, and for the life of me we could not find it. We finally found it near the Marriott Marquis.

After that, we headed to Roberto Passon for a truly delicious and incredibly reasonably priced lunch. Heaven. Then we walked up 9th, and then over the Columbus Circle to look at the shops and the fountain. Then we wandered down Central Park South people watching and just enjoying the day. Wandered into the Plaza Hotel just to look – we found 2 comfy chairs in the corner to people watch. Any time either of us said “oh, let’s people watch,” it was code for “my feet are tired, and I’m tired. Let’s sit down for a bit.” After walking down 5th Avenue one last time, we then headed back to the hotel, got our bags, and took a cab back to the airport.