NYC - very long Trip Report

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 25th, 2010, 06:27 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I cannot believe that I am already sitting at home after visiting NYC. This trip was something that I thought about for months. And my spare time was spent getting as much information as I could. So thank you to all those that post advice, as your experience is very much appreciated.

Background: myself, my husband and 17 year old son flew in from LAX on Wednesday 15th of December(we spent a week on the West Coast). My daughter (who I had not seen for a week) and her boyfriend were flying in from Jamaica where they had been on vacation.

Accomodation: Wyman House on the UWS. The Upper West side is the most perfect location. We loved it so much. As it is very residential we could walk around the neighbourhood and dine in the local diners. We also loved Fairways. What a great store. We bought soup from there on a number of occasions. I cannot fault Wyman House. Our stay was very comfortable and I would recommend it. So glad we did not stay at Times Square or Mid Town.

Subway – we purchased a 7 day weekly pass. We held on to it and did not let go. It was the best $27 that we spent. We used the subway to get around and we did not have any trouble at all. Once you get used to how it all works, it is quite easy, and we only saw a rat on two occasions (maybe even the same rat?).

Thursday 16th
Statue of Liberty and Crown Access – we booked these tickets on line and I am so glad that we did. We all climbed the 354 steps and boy was it worth it. I was worried about getting claustrophobia, but as the stairs narrowed it was not too bad. The satisfaction of getting to the top and seeing the view is just the best. There is a lot of security, but things do move along quite quickly. The statue of liberty is a beautiful lady. It was wonderful to see her up close. From a distance she looks small, but she isn’t.
My only regret is not being able to visit Ellis Island on the way back as we did not have time. Had to hurry back to meet our ‘Big Apple Greeter’

Big Apple Greeter – what a wonderful organisation. We were so fortunate to be able to be greeted by a lovely gentleman who had planned a walk for us that covered everyone’s tastes. We walked through the UWS and down to Central Park, passing the Dakota building and through to Strawberry fields. We sighted many squirrels which is a real novelty for us. After the park we walked to Fifth Avenue. We went into the Apple Mac Store and dear son did not want to come out. Went into FAO Shwartz, but I was expecting something quite different.( I blame this on watching Home Alone in NY) Our Greeter also took us past the Lincoln Centre, and Rockefeller Centre and MOMA. He also took us into the Plaza and we saw some very interesting fish near the escalators. We would have liked to continue walking but after the 354 steps and nearly 3 hours of walking we were exhausted and could hardly stand on our feet. (ok – I really need to add here that I came home weighing a less than when I left – which is actually a good thing)

Friday 17th
Real NYC tours
After reading so many great reviews on Trip Advisor we decided to go ahead with this tour. We covered a lot with the Big Apple Greeter, but knew this tour would cover different areas that we wanted to see. Unfortunately, we did not like the tour and we were so disappointed that we left the tour mid way. I have posted a separate review. My main dislike of the tour was that we just kind of plodded our way after the tour guide in silence. None of the group was introduced to each other, so we were all silent. The tour guide liked to walk up ahead on his own and there was a lack on engagement with the group. It was also a freezing day so standing still for any length of time was really difficult. Even with 2 pairs of socks and walking boots I could still feel the cold. The tour guide seemed determined to get through his information, even though maybe a plan B could have been adopted. We did get to see the World Trade Centre, Wall Street and the NY Stock Exchange and the Brooklyn Bridge. We walked through China Town, and the ladies in the group were all asked ‘Gucci Gucci’? China Town was a bit of an eye opener, especially what was in some of those buckets (one bucket full of frogs – yuck!).

We left the tour in Little Italy after having lunch. My daughter was also not feeling very well so it was a good time to stop. We decided we all need a shopping pick me up so we headed towards Soho.
My children loved this area for shopping. There are many trendy boutiques that suited their tastes. So my husband and I left them to it. We went back to the UWS to rest. Celebrity sighting – John Slattery (who plays Richard Sterling in Mad Men)

That evening my daughter and her boyfriend went to the basketball game. They had a great time and said it was so entertaining. My husband, son and I went to Times Square to have a look around. None of us liked it. We stopped and took some photos of the signs and then really made a quick exit out of there. I can understand why New Yorkers avoid this area. We walked to Macy’s and met up with daughter and her boyfriend. Macy’s were having a great sale and my husband came out with 2 pairs of shoes!

Saturday 18th.
We slept in this morning. Very well deserved lie in. Today we went to Greenpoint to visit a friend of my husbands that he had not seen for 30 years. Again the subway ride was very simple.
We decided to have lunch at ‘Karczma’, a Polish Restaurant. We are experts when it comes to Pierogi, so we were looking forward to this. What can I say – not very good. Everyone had the pierogi with cheese and potatoes. I had the pierogi with meat and cabbage. We asked for the fried pierogi, and I do not know what they did, but I think that they were deep fried. Could not believe it!!!!. All pierogi should be boiled in hot water. Then after they cool, they should be lightly fried in pork fat on a frying pan. Well enough of the cookery lesson – these were not good pierogi. My son had the Bigos – which is a cabbage/meat stew. It tasted ok, but was over flavoured with seasoning.

The polish beer was good.

Greenpoint is such an interesting place. It is little Poland. Walking the streets all you hear is Polish. My husband felt very much at home.
After lunch we went to our friend’s home, while the children went back to Soho and naughty daughter bought the expensive dress that I rolled my eyes at the day before.
Left quickly aft 5.30pm as we had tickets for the Merchant of Venice.

Merchant of Venice – what can I say. It was an absolute joy and such a treat to see Al Pacino on stage. Lily Rabe was also wonderful. We had very good seats, and the Broadhurst theatre is lovely. It is quite dramatic and very controversial. Some lines would be deemed ‘politically incorrect’, but it was terrific. My son enjoyed it and the 3 hours went by very quickly.

Sunday 19th
Today we had tickets for MOMA. We all enjoyed it very much and spent hours in here looking around at the permanent exhibitions. But what stands out the most for me is the short film called ‘Despair’. The beautiful face and the simplicity of it was outstanding.
We then went to the MOMA shop where we browsed at all the interesting, quirky items for sale.
After MOMA it was the Bloomingdales sale.
This evening we had tickets for TOTR. We went to the Rockefeller centre and watched people skate. We saw a proposal which was very sweet, and all the people watching clapped.
The TOTR has fantastic views. The lines went very quickly. But the only downside is that the Chrysler building is obscured, so you do not get a very good view of it. Of course it was freezing, but the view was worth it.

Monday 20th
My daughter booked for us the Sex and the City tour. So my husband decided to go to Greenpoint again. He spent his time buying polish books as well as polish lollies (the ones that I love are plums covered in chocolate as well as the caramel fudge). My son and daughters boyfriend went to the Lower East side. There they had specific stores in mind and returned home with LP records to add to their collections. They also had lunch at Katz’s deli, and this was a real highlight for them.

Sex and the City tour – we had a lot of fun on the tour. At first it can be a bit over the top, as the first stop is a place called ‘Pleasure chest’. I did not go in, but went to get coffee. After this, it really is a great look around the West Village and, Greenwich Village. The lady that took the tour was an aspiring actress/comedian and she was funny. We stopped in Bleeker st to eat cupcakes(yummy) and had time to browse the beautiful stores. We stopped at O’Neals bar to drink cosmopolitans. That was good fun too.
The tour drops you off at Bryant park and we had time to look around the Christmas markets and watched the ice skating.

Then if was off to Century 21. I was surprised because I thought that it would be a lot more disorganised. There were lots of people but manageable. We looked through the ladies designer wear and my daughter found herself a beautiful jacket and then later a pair of long black boots.

Tonight dinner was at Buddaken. I was a bit uncertain about going but we had a wonderful dinner. It was very crowded and we had to wait in the lounge for a bit. That was ok, because my daughter bought me champagne that had blueberries. It was delicious.
We all had appetisers and then a main meal. Appetisers ordered were crab claws, lobster rolls, tuna, and dumplings. Main meals were, chilli crab, sweet and sour pork, spicy bee , chicken and fish. We also had fried rice and noodles. Everything was so yummy. As it was my birthday my daughter ordered a big bottle of champagne. Desert was chocolate cake with ice cream. I would definitely recommend this place.

Tuesday 21st.
Today we all split up again. Daughter and her boyfriend went to the Boat House for lunch and to see Grand Central Station. My husband and son decided to go to Century 21 and I decided to just walk through the city.
I walked and browsed the shops down Columbus – another celebrity sighting – Joely Richardson, looking tall, thin, elegant and beautiful. While I looked like a Michellin lady. I then walked to 5th Avenue and went into Tiffany’s. then I turned around and walked past the Plaza and through central park. I just walked the park, taking my time to enjoy and admire what it had to offer. Wanted to go to the MET but did not make it as I had developed quite a cough so had to go home and rest.
We all then met up at home and had dinner locally.

Wednesday 22nd.
This was our last day. We woke and after packing headed out to the Empire State Building. There lines were very long, and there was a 15 minute wait. So we waited. It was very busy when we finally took the lift up. The wait was worth it. What magnificent views.
We returned back to the UWS for lunch at the Manhattan diner. Then we returned to Wyman House to pick up our bags. I had organised Dial 7 to take us all to the airport. They were on time and the service was excellent.

NYC overview:
Safety: I felt very safe walking around at all time.
People: the people of NYC are wonderful. They are so helpful, and there were many times when we were asked if they could help with directions.
Food: it was fantastic, and very much how we eat in Melbourne
Coffee: it was awful. Even though there is a Starbucks nearly on every corner, they make bad coffee.
Women wearing fur coats – what is this about?
Dog droppings on UWS – people should pick up after their dogs .
Architecture: NYC has wonderful architecture. We were constantly in awe of the buildings.
Ugg Australia – we loved that the Ugg Boots from Australia were so fashionable and popular.
Finally: NYC is a beautiful city and I would love to return in a warmer season.
Thank you all and all the best in 2011.
(I have also posted on Trip Advisor as I stalked both forums, so apologies for the double up)
Old Dec 25th, 2010, 07:44 PM

Thank you for a well written report and for your good taste in choosing the UWS as an area to stay.
Old Dec 25th, 2010, 07:49 PM

millie - I enjoyed reading your report very much - it sounds like you and your family felt very comfortable and did exactly what you wanted - a perfect vacation!
Old Dec 26th, 2010, 06:37 AM

I love the UWS too. It sounds like you found the perfect balance between scheduled tours and shows and time to just wander and marvel. NYC is a great place to visit anytime, but I particularly love being there in late Spring and early autumn. Hope you make it back.
Old Dec 26th, 2010, 07:03 AM

Millie, thanks very much for your report. Could you say more about the Wyman House? Which room did you have and what was it like? How was the bathroom? The price?
Old Dec 26th, 2010, 01:38 PM
Original Poster

thank you all. the UWS is a perfect spot to stay. It is such a great area with good food, great shopping and wonderful homes. We felt so comfortable in NYC. In fact we were very surprised as to how comfortable we felt. I felt safer walking at night in NYC than in my city of Melbourne.
Wyman House is by Riverside drive. The home is an old brown stone, but very well maintained. There are a number of rooms available to stay in. We stayed in the Penthouse which is on the 5th floor. I knew that it was a walk up and was quite prepared. However, on reflection I think something on a lower floor would be better. After walking around all day the last thing we wanted to do was climb stairs. We chose this room so that our son could have some extra privacy. My daughter and boyfriend had a room on the 3rd floor and it was very large and lovely. Each room has a small kitchen so that you can eat in if you would like to. We did a number of times and bought prepared food from Fairways. The bathroom was fine and everything was very clean. We looked at the Beacon and for our time, the Beacon (because of hotel tax) worked out to be about $500 more for a weeks stay. So that is why we chose Wyman House. We came at a busy time of the year. My daughter and her boyfriend arrived a day earlier into NYC and they stayed one night at the Belleclaire which is around the corner and they had a lovely nights stay. However, they were very surprised there was no kettle in the room to make a cup of coffee.
Old Dec 27th, 2010, 06:17 AM
yk

Thanks for your trip report!
Old Dec 27th, 2010, 09:43 AM

You did NYC up right! Sounds like a fabulous trip.
Old Dec 27th, 2010, 10:02 AM

Great report. I may try the UWS next opportunity. I used to live there while in grad skool - 100th/Riverside Dr.
Old Dec 27th, 2010, 04:54 PM

Thanks for this great trip report. We have been to NYC a few times now; we always love it and find different things to enjoy each trip. Appreciate your UWS tips and restaurant info. Our last trip was 3 years ago and we're starting to get the itch again.