NYC Transportation

Old May 28th, 2007, 10:29 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NYC Transportation

My wife and I are taking our first trip to New York City next week. What's the best way to get from La Guardia to midtown Manhatten?
Old May 28th, 2007, 10:53 AM

Taxi will be the easiest. There are taxi stands close to the baggage claim areas, so just tell the dispatcher where you are headed.

Have a GREAT time while you are here.
Old May 28th, 2007, 10:56 AM

Taxi to midtown is in the range of $30 to $35 - no more than the cost of shuttle bus - and it's much more conveninet.

There is no direct public transit - only a city bus to Manhattan and switch to another bus or sbuway on 125th St. Not something I would reco when you're dealing with luggage.
Old May 28th, 2007, 11:19 AM

Taxi is definitely easiest and not as expensive as you'd think. Average price was about 20 but that was 5 years ago. Lots of taxis will overcharge so caution.

Anyone know how to get from LGA to NWK airport?

Old May 28th, 2007, 11:25 AM

Newark airport is EWR (NOT nwk). There is a shuttle bus b/w LGA and EWR that appears to cost $25/person. If you're alone, it could make sense. Otherwise, your options are go to Manhattan (by taxi is about $35 for up to 4 people) and from there either bus or train. More info here
http://www.panynj.gov/CommutingTrave...ct.html#lgaewr
Old May 28th, 2007, 12:21 PM

From LGA to midtown, a taxi is usually the easiest option, UNLESS:

1. you want or must pay with credit card, in which case reserve a car service: wwww.dial7.com

2. you are arriving at rush hour when the taxi line can be quite long

I fly in/out of LGA about 50 times a year, and I almost always take a cab, except during the Christmas holiday time, when the taxi line can be 10-30 minutes.

Old May 28th, 2007, 05:20 PM

Taxi do NOT overcharge - the fare is on the meter - which are inspected regularly by the T&LC. (That's not to say that none of the 35,000 meters are fast - but I've only seen it twice in 25 years of riding cabs several times per week.)

With the new rates you should expect $30 to $35 - but it can be more if you hit a lot of traffic. (But since shuttle is $17 each - it's silly not to take one.)

(You could also organize a car service in advance - but they're prced to match the taxi - with higher rates at rush hour - and provide no additional benefits coming in from the airport - where there is always a whole pack of taxis waiting for you.)
Old Dec 1st, 2007, 08:58 PM

Gekko (or anyone) -- Can you define what hours would be considered "rush hour" in Manhattan?

Also, you say that you "almost always take a cab, except during the Christmas holiday time."

Would you say that time has already started? And what other option do you choose?

I ask because I will leave for my first trip to NYC this Tuesday (4 Dec). I arrive at LGA at 7 pm, and need to get to W 113th St. I plan on taking the M60 bus, unless there is a better option at that time of evening.
Old Dec 2nd, 2007, 08:00 AM

Presocia, morning rush hour is roughly 7-10 am and evening is 4-7 PM. But that often refers to the traffic getting into Manhattan in the PM, and leaving in the PM.Traffic in midtown can be steady much of the day.
Also at this time of the year, all bets are off. Many days especially Wednesdays(theater matinee day) and Fridays are designated "gridlock alert days" meaning even more than usual traffic. And it just started snowing here today. If you hit a snowy or rainy day, traffic gets worse.
Still,I usually take a car service from the airports. At 7pm you will certainly get the usual traffic, but most will be getting out of the city or in midtown, not at 113th. And if you are stuck in traffic, well at least you are not driving, are sitting relatively comfortably, and if taking a car service rather than a metered taxi, not worried about the cost adding up.It would cost about $30. The m60 bus is an OK budget option as far as being a really direct ride to your location!It is a city bus that stops every few blocks, no room for luggage, and you can get stuck in the same traffic. Do you mind standing or being on a possibly crowded bus for over an hour?
Old Dec 2nd, 2007, 08:16 AM

Where are you going (for your first visit) on west 113 st.? This is not a typical tourist location and the trip will take a long time.
Old Dec 2nd, 2007, 10:16 AM

West 113th St is not anywhere near midtown - or any sights except Columbia University and the Cathedral of St John the Divine.

You will be near lots of student hang-outs, but a subway ride - sometimes long - from most things you want to see.

Are you staying with friends? Or in an apartment?

(Taking the bus from LGA won;t be so bad - you can take the M60 bus to 125th St and a downtown bus from there- depending on what avenue you're staying near.)
Old Dec 2nd, 2007, 10:29 AM

I think the M60 bus goes down Broadway to 110th St, so it's a pretty direct shot to your destination from LaGuardia. Ask the bus driver when you get on, but I seem to remember seeing the bus going up Broadway and 110th St.
Old Dec 2nd, 2007, 01:39 PM

I believe the M60 is a straight shot almost to the door where Presocia is going. It's certainly the cheapest way (bring $2 in quarters, though). But it's going to take about 90 minutes for the trip from LaGuardia if there is not a lot of traffic.
Old Dec 2nd, 2007, 06:10 PM

Thank you for your responses and advice. I've dedicated the entire day to travel, and I know the bus won't be the quickest way -- but fairly direct as several of you indicated.

Yes, I am staying with friends who live on 113th. Having free accommodations is what is making this trip possible!