Search

NYC to see Hamilton

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21st, 2015, 07:44 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NYC to see Hamilton

My husband and I are headed to NYC the second weekend of January to see Hamilton. We've never been to NYC, and we're very excited about this trip. We'll arrive Friday afternoon and will leave Monday afternoon (barring snowstorms as we're flying out of MT and connecting through Denver -- fingers crossed for good weather).

We have tickets to Hamilton on Saturday evening. We're staying at The Muse which is just a block from the theater.

We're trying to decide what to do and where to eat. We have limited time, and I know we can't see everything. My husband likes museums, especially modern art, so I think we'll definitely plan on the MOMA. I am less enthused about museums. Weather depending, I'd like to spend some time walking the Highline and parts of Central Park and also walking different neighborhoods. I'd appreciate any suggestions you all have for things we shouldn't miss.

We're also looking for restaurant suggestions. We're most interested in a great Neapolitan pizza restaurant. Thoughts? We'd also are looking for Italian restaurant suggestions; maybe a tasting menu. I've looked at Mailino, Babbo, Marea. We also want to try Momofuku for ramen and/or pork buns. Russ and Daughters for bagels and lox?
Old Dec 21st, 2015, 08:40 AM

For info on Central Park go to the web site of the Central Park Conservancy. It has a detailed map of walking paths (complicated), info on all the points of interest and a list of ranger walks (not sure if there are any when you're there).

If you need more indoor activities the Met is one of the 2 or 3 best museums in the world. If you don't care for the painting departments you might consider the Costume Institute or the Egyptian department/Temple of Dendur - check the web site for details.
Old Dec 21st, 2015, 12:21 PM

I really enjoyed Santina, which is next door to the new Whitney. http://www.nytimes.com/2015/01/14/di...line.html?_r=0 Also, the Whitney currently has a Frank Stella retrospective that is supposed to be wonderful. http://whitney.org/Exhibitions/FrankStella If you're in that area, you could also walk on the Highline; otherwise, I wouldn't go out of my way to do it. It's fine, but overrrated.
Old Dec 21st, 2015, 12:38 PM

If you want to eat at Momofuku, try the Ssam bar for lunch. Or go to Ma Peche, which is near your hotel. It's not exactly the same (and more expensive), but it's more convenient for you.

Marea is a great restaurant but it's good primarily for seafood. But it's not far from your hotel, though much more formal than either of the other two restaurants you've mentioned. Babbo is hard to get into and not very special to me (the food is good, though). Ditto for Maialino. It's one of my favorites, but not a special experience other than the food. For that you'd want to look at Del Posto, which is underneath the Highline, so might be a good choice for that day. Very grand and expensive with a wonderful tasting menu.
Old Dec 21st, 2015, 12:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you're in that area, you could also walk on the Highline; otherwise, I wouldn't go out of my way to do it. It's fine, but overrrated.

We were in NYC in November and a friend of mine who lives in the city said the same thing. We did bop down but I may have been predisposed to think "meh" because of my friend's comment. It was nice.

kureiff, when I am in NYC I go running every morning in Central Park. It is a great way to sightsee.

Maialino - yes, thought it was very good.

Betony - very good.

Given where you reside, you might want to try additional ethnic restaurants.

I went to the Guggenheim this last trip and really enjoyed it. The building itself is worth a visit.
Old Dec 21st, 2015, 02:02 PM
Original Poster

These are great suggestions. Thank you!

Leely, if the weather looks decent, we'll definitely throw in running gear. That's a great idea.
Old Dec 21st, 2015, 04:47 PM

We were impressed with Cafe Fiorello across from Lincoln Center and would love to go back for dinner. They have an amazing antipasti bar full of gorgeous roasted vegetables that you can pick and choose from. We do love Mailino!

We also enjoyed Il Cantinori...small, cozy and charming (Italian -East Village).

The pastrami at Katz's deli is to die for.

The Costume Institute at The Met has an exhibition on Jacqueline de Ribes that was excellent. Should still be there in January.
Old Dec 22nd, 2015, 07:27 AM

The best time to be at MOMA is member hour 9:30. It is a great thing to do after an early morning walk or run in Central Park. The Picasso Sculptures require timed tickets if you are not a member or a member guest.

A Guide Named Sue
Old Dec 22nd, 2015, 07:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Another thing, and you may have neither interest nor time (or the weather may interfere), but several years ago I finally visited Ellis Island. Had never been particularly interested in going. But it is really an excellent museum.
Old Dec 22nd, 2015, 08:04 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the additional suggestions.

Sue, 9:30 am for the MOMA would work well. I'll look at the website and schedules.
Old Jan 3rd, 2016, 01:33 PM
Original Poster

Question regarding airport transportation into Manhattan. We're flying into LGA at about 4 pm on Friday.

I understand that cab fare from LGA isn't regulated like it is from JFK, for example. Do you suggest a cab or public transportation? We're comfortable with both options and won't have much luggage. I'm curious what you think would be fastest given that we'll hit rush hour on a Friday?

Thanks for your thoughts.
Old Jan 3rd, 2016, 03:05 PM

You need to be with a member (like me) to get in at Members Hour.

A Guide Named Sue
Old Jan 3rd, 2016, 03:43 PM

Rush hour will affect both cabs and buses. And both bus and subway will be crowded.

I would go for cab but then I don't do bus/subway with any sort of luggage.
Old Jan 4th, 2016, 05:10 AM

If you don't have much luggage, then the easiest way to travel into Midtown is to take the M60 bus and transfer to the N/Q subway at Astoria Boulevard, which will allow you to miss the worst of the rush-hour traffic. It's usually a fairly quick ride to the subway from the airport. If you get on at the front of the train, then you can exit on 47th Street and take a short walk to your hotel. Just be sure to walk east on 47th St. as you exit the train. Your hotel is on 46th Street between Broadway and 6th avenues on the south side of the street. That trip will cost you $2.75 each, but you must buy a Metrocard from a vending machine before boarding the bus, or you will not get a free subway transfer. If you pay in cash, you must have coins (no bills). There's a luggage rack in the bus, but it's a long walk upstairs from the street level to the subway at Astoria Blvd. That's my only reservation on the transfer.
Old Jan 4th, 2016, 06:22 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Doug! Good to know about bills vs. coins, too.