Search

NYC: Things to do at night with teens

Search this Thread

Old May 29th, 2005, 12:05 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NYC: Things to do at night with teens

Hi all,
We have six women travelling to NYC for 4 nights in June. Two moms, two daughters in their mid-twenties, and an 18 yo and 16 yo. Any ideas of things to do at night? (We are going to see Hairspray one night.)
Three of us have been to NYC many many times, but our teenage companions are looking for fun things to do (dancing? something else?) at night that aren't really available here in Wisconsin.
Thanks in advance.
PS We are staying on the UWS but are willing to travel to midtown or wherever.
Old May 29th, 2005, 12:23 PM

http://www.timeoutny.com/

www.nyorkled.com

www.nytimes.com

These are just off the top of my head places for you to get ideas now.
There is SO much to do at night, that I cannot think of one
Hairspray is such a fun play to see, the kids will love it ~
Old May 29th, 2005, 03:59 PM
mp

it's hard to go to clubs with the 16 year old - you might be able to do the rock and roll bowling (more fun than it sounds) at Bowlmor on University Place and 12th Street - going to hear music at places like Joe's Pub might work - check out sheckys.com and timeout.ny for music listings. Sometimes just hanging out in Union square, people watching and browsing in virgin records can be good fun . . .
Old May 30th, 2005, 06:27 AM

I have heard that Cafe Wha is ok with younger teens. Depending on when you're coming there may be concerts or plays in Central Park or Bryant Park. There's outdoor dancing at Lincoln Center on certain nights. Walking around your neighborhood (!) Soho and the village is fun. Many of the shops are open late. The 79 st Boat Basin Cafe is a good place to hang and people watch. A night cruise and off Broadway are some other ideas.

ps. Just found out there's free kayaking at 72 st & the Hudson (not at night, but something different to try maybe)
Old May 30th, 2005, 06:27 PM

This might not be their 'thing' but the Met is open late Friday & Saturday night. There is music on the balcony in the Great Hall with small tables for a drink, etc. The Chanel exhibit is on (at the Met) if they are interested in fashion.
Old May 30th, 2005, 06:28 PM

oops posted too soon. If you choose to go to the museum maybe you could cab to a trendy spot for dinner after the Met?
Old May 31st, 2005, 07:01 AM

Catch an indie film at the Angelika and dinner in the area.
Old May 31st, 2005, 03:15 PM

Thank you to everyone who posted... We are definitely heading to the Metropolitan Museum of Art and its rooftop cafe on either Friday or Saturday night. (I love it up there!)
Anyone else???
Liz
PS Jeno is my mom's username
Old Jun 1st, 2005, 06:30 PM

I'm early 20's myself and just got back from the city yesterday. Although I've been there several times for the first time I took one of the Circle Line Cruises. The Harbor Lights Cruise ($23 a person, 2 hours left at 7) although that's not real late night it was a fun and new way to see the city and learn some history. We traveled up the Hudson river and went under the Brooklyn and Manhattan Bridge.
I've always been a fan of stopping by Serendipity 3 myself (on 60th btwn 2nd and 3rd I believe) for some Frrozen Hot Chocolate. It was a 2-3 hour wait this past weekend...usually we drop off our reservations and then head to the corner of 60th and 3rd to stroll around Dylan's Candy Bar.
Depending on who's been to NYC before and not, the Empire State Building at night is gorgeous.
I haven't seen it but I heard about the Chinatown Lion Dance. Chinatown presents weekly outdoor lion dance performances every Thursday night, from May 5 through June 23, 2005. The performance starts at 6:00 pm and lasts 30 minutes, on Bayard Street between Mott and Mulberry.