NYC Restaurants - Dinner and Brunch

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19th, 2006, 02:46 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Three of us are traveling to NYC over Memorial weekend for the umpteenth time. We are trying to come up with restaurant options for dinner for our three night stay. We generally like American continental, French and Italian, nothing too adventurous. A Union Square Cafe type menu (but we've already been there, Gramercy Tavern and Eleven Madison Park). The other requirement is that we are looking for entrees priced under $30.

Any suggestions would be appreciated, as well as Sun brunch ideas. For our Sat dinner, we were thinking Bar Americain (the high end of our price point). For brunch, we were thinking either Balthazar or Blue Water Grill. Restaurants can be located anywhere in NYC except Sat night where we need a Midtown location to make our show. Maybe something in Greenwich Village or Brooklyn one night? Thanks!
Old Mar 19th, 2006, 07:57 PM

Some restaurants we have enjoyed, many which have pre theater dinner prices; or for after the show instead: some very close, some a good paced walk depending on how fast you walk and how early you eat:
Angus Mcindoes (44th & Broadway)
Osteria al Doge, 146 W 44th (bet Broadway & 6th)
Remi (145 W 53rd)
Trattoria Dopo Teatro, 125 W 44th
Trattoria dell'arte - 900 7th, bet 56 & 57

Most have own web pages, some are on opentable.com - you can check out menu, prices and see if any interest you.

We also like the Coffee Shop in union sq - Marseille, on 630 9th at 44th (marseillenyc.com)
Blue Water Grill is always a nice choice -
I like Cafe des Artistes for brunch, but for more casual and fun breakfast, we enjoyed Le Pain Quotidien.
Old Mar 20th, 2006, 05:18 AM

If you haven't been to Balthazar yet, you should definitely go whether for breakfast (they serve daily and make their own bread) brunch or dinner. At that time of year, I always think it's nice to be able to eat brunch outside if the weather's good, so I'd opt for someplace with a garden or outdoor tables. Their sister place Pastis is in the meatpacking district and does have some outdoor tables. Blue Water has some outdoor tables. I find the garden at Gascogne in Chelsea a transporting experience (although service can be uneven).

For a dinner choice, I would offer Artisanal. French brasserie specializing in cheese (great fondues) . They also have prix fixe lunch and dinner menus. Located at 32 st & Madison (not far from Empire State).

L'Impero is a terrific Italian (near the UN). Some of their entrees fit your budget. I'd definitely go there.

Everybody raves about Babbo (Italian) and it's in the village. I just don't get it though.
Old Mar 20th, 2006, 05:26 AM

Since you are willing to trave outside Manhattan, I would recommend one of two Italian restaurants in Astoria, which is just across the East River and easy to access by taxi or train. The first is Trattoria L"Incontro, a casual place with music most evenings. www.trattorialincontro.com.
More upscale in the old-school Italian manner is Piccola Venezia. www.piccola-venezia.com. At both of these you will have top-notch Italian food in a non-touristed atmosphere. If you are considering a visit, I will describe them in more detail here.
Old Mar 20th, 2006, 06:20 AM

My husband and I had brunch at Isabella's on the Upper West Side (Columbus and 77th) last weekend, and really enjoyed it. Reasonably priced, and very tasty. Beware of a possible long wait though.
Old Mar 20th, 2006, 10:48 AM
Original Poster

These all seem like excellent suggestions based on the menus I looked at. I think we will definitely try Balthazar for brunch. We ate at Pastis on our last trip to NYC and regretted not going to Balthazar when we walked by it. Isabella's menu looks great as well.

Artisanal sounds wonderful - I spent 5 months in Switzerland and have not had a decent fondue since then!

I'll also look into the restaurants in Astoria as well...

Thanks!
Old Mar 20th, 2006, 11:14 AM

Take a look at Cibo - www.cibonyc.com
Old Mar 20th, 2006, 11:53 AM

Have to say, I really don't like Bar Americain. I've eaten there quite a few times as it's very close to my office and the food has been, in my opinion, very mediocre at best. I would spend my money elsewhere.
Old Mar 20th, 2006, 12:39 PM

http://www.fodors.com/miniguides/mgr...erty_id=302362

head over the bridge for some fine eats!
Old Mar 20th, 2006, 12:43 PM

check out 2 websites...

www.chowhound.com
www.menupages.com
Old Jun 8th, 2006, 01:33 PM

great thread, everyone! I am taking my Mom to NYC in a few weeks...
Old Jun 8th, 2006, 01:40 PM

I have to agree with Michelle that I haven't been impressed by Bar Americain.

How about L'Impero for dinner? It is Italian, very unique, in Tudor City. A grown-up, but not stuffy, atmosphere. Very good food. The tasting menu is a bargain.
Old Jun 8th, 2006, 03:55 PM

You responded a bit too late - the OP already came and left NYC.
Old Jun 9th, 2006, 02:05 AM

Yes, the OP has come and gone, but if you read the responses you would have seen that flygirl is taking her Mom in a few weeks (posted 6/8) and she is finding the suggestions helpful.