NYC restaurant for Niece and Me

Old Apr 12th, 2005, 08:17 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NYC restaurant for Niece and Me

Hi, need to make restaurant reservations for a weekend trip to nyc lst wk in May with my 26 year old niece. She's never been to NYC so I want to really show her a good time. We already have Sat. eve reservation pre show, but need something for Thurs and Fri evening. Maybe lower key for Thurs and hip for Fri. I'm have looked at Le Bernardin, River Cafe (too touristy I think), Per See, Cafe Gray, Pastis and Eleven Madison. All seen too stuffy, or too French. Anyone heard of Alias? Help. We are staying around 54th street. Any help would be appreciated.
Old Apr 12th, 2005, 08:25 AM

I took my daughter (now 32) to Gotham Bar & Grill when she was about your niece's age; we've been to different restaurants every trip, including some you mention, but GB&G remains her favorite.
Old Apr 12th, 2005, 08:25 AM

Jean Georges main room is a great place to eat, just acrosss the circle from the Time Warner restaurants. You will never get into Per Se, anyway, Bo.

The outside room Nugatine, is more relaxed, but the main room is not stuffy at all. Just really well prepared and delicious.

Le Bernadin may be construed as "stuffy", but it really is not. Neither is 11 Madison park.

Cafe des Artistes is a nice spot, and also not stuffy.
Enjoy your stay in NYC.
Old Apr 12th, 2005, 10:42 AM

Head downtown. I suggest Chef Wylie Dufresne's WD-50 on Clinton Street, or in vino on E. 4th Street.

A new, "hip" option is PS 450.

Get out of midtown -- your niece will appreciate it.

Enjoy!
Old Apr 12th, 2005, 12:15 PM

I think a lot depends on how hip your niece (and you) are as to where you will feel comfortable. Gekko usually has the "latest" uber trendy place but they're not always for everyone

Le Bernardin is just the best seafood in NYC. But yes, it's a bit formal though not stuffy. If you're staying on west 54, it would be convenient. I also like Jean Georges. If you go there, then go downtown the other night. Pastis is in the meatpacking district. I think the area's a good idea but I'd pick Spice Market (Thai owned by the same chef as Jean Georges) instead.

If you like Japanese, Matsuri in the Maritime Hotel would be fun (Chelsea).

I haven't been to Alias. It's on the lower east side (another young trendy area where WD-50 is).

BTW, as to River Cafe being "too touristy", that's what you are and you can't fault either the views or the food. It may not be haute cuisine, but pretty darn good. A good opportunity to have a peek at Brooklyn Heights promenade while you're there.
Old Apr 12th, 2005, 12:28 PM

I'll echo the sentiments that LeBernardin is NOT stuffy. If your interpretation of "stuffy" is anyplace that is elegant, them maybe it would be to you. But we've never found the slightest pretension there among the staff or servers. They make you very relaxed in a truly elegant and comfortable setting.

Now if on the other hand you're looking for someplace more casual, trendy, or noisy fun, then I agree about any of the meatpacking places mentioned -- Pastis or Spice Market in particular. Pastis is elbow to elbow and loud, Spice Market is more refined.
Don't listen the ones who tell you that certain places are no longer "in" unless it is important to you or her that you be able to tell people you went to the absolute "hottest" place in town.
Old Apr 12th, 2005, 12:30 PM

I would recommend the Red Eye Grill on 7th Ave in Midtown. Really trendy, fun & hip atmosphere (not stuffy at all), good food (lots of seafood options), and a great location. I think you neice would love it.
Old Apr 12th, 2005, 01:00 PM

One low key place I like is Home (www.recipesfromhome.com).

There are also tons of great non-European ethnic foods one can take advantage of in New York. I like Blue Ribbon Sushi for hip, late-night dining, Brick Lane Curry House for better-than-average Indian row dining, Cafe Habana for loud, crowded fun.
Old Apr 12th, 2005, 01:20 PM

Just had dinner at Davidburke & donatella last Friday night, a group of us all in our 30's. Fun, nice, amazing food. It's a bit trendy (Counting Crows were dining there a few weeks ago) but still good and non touristy.
Old Apr 12th, 2005, 01:56 PM

Blue Smoke is a MUST for anyone traveling to NYC.