Des Moines, One Night Only

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6th, 2005, 06:14 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're passing through Iowa on our cross country drive and Des Moines seems to be the best stop between Chicago and Rapid City. Can you recommend some hotels, please?
Old Apr 6th, 2005, 06:27 AM

Downtown are the Embassy Suites, the Marriott and the Renaissance Savory. All nice hotels. There are other areas to the city, all depends on where you're wanting to stay.
Old Apr 6th, 2005, 06:30 AM

Actually since this is just a travel stop, you really should try Priceline. I am from the Des Moines area and any of the 3* hotels in the DSM area would be great for you -- all are along the I-80 corridor (either the loop around the city) or taking the I-235 freeway through downtown DSM. Both directions take similar amounts of time to drive.

The hotels that come up on Priceline in downtown Des Moines are the -- Embassy Suites, Renaissance Savery or the DSM Marriott. If you choose the West Des Moines, you will either get the West DSM Marriott, or the Holiday Inn (now a Sheraton I believe). These are basically the only nice chain hotels in DSM -- so you really can't go wrong bidding here.

Probably the most convenient would be the West Des Moines hotels to the interstate and they would not have a parking fee that the downtown ones might impose.

West Des Moines does have a new huge shopping center called Jordan Creek Center which is very close to the West Des Moines choices also if you are into a little shopping.

If you are needing even less expensive accommodations bidding for a 2.5* will get you either a Fairfield Inn, Country Inn and Suites or similar in West Des Moines -- usually for less than $35-40 for either a 3* or 2.5*.

Old Apr 6th, 2005, 06:50 AM

My family stayed in Des Moines on that very same trip a couple of years ago. We just picked an exit off of 80 and had a bunch of choices. No advance reservation. Don't remember where we stayed, something like a Fairfield or Comfort Inn.

As a side note, if that is your route home...

You must be planning on dropping South to 80 someplace East of Rapid City. We did that as well after taking 90 on the Westbound ride. I would not do that again. The driving through NW and Central NB is some of the worst that I have experienced. Hot, dry, featureless, no services, free ranging cattle and less for very long stretches. We wished that we would have returned the way we went.

One other tip: When you first enter SD, stop at one of the state tourist welcome/rest areas. Pick up the cassette program about the history of SD. There is a small deposit that is returned to you when you return the tapes (less a rental, I think $5.00). There are a series of 4 tapes that take you through SD history, geography, exploration, current attractions, etc. as you drive in the areas they are talking about. It is fantastic! Even my young teens enjoyed it.
Old Apr 6th, 2005, 10:05 AM

I like to eat at the Latin King. It's near downtown Des Moines.

www.tursislatinking.com

The State Capitol is beautiful. The marble work on the inside is worth ducking in for even a few minutes if you can.
Old Apr 6th, 2005, 02:23 PM
Original Poster

Are there no hotels downtown? Is there a downtown? I was hoping to get away from the highway and stay someplace that might have some character, charm or history ... or all three. Is that possible in Des Moines? Isn't there some Fort Des Moines hotel, or something like that?
Old Apr 6th, 2005, 05:25 PM

Horizon, am I reading wrong or didn't two posters above both list three different downtown hotels? Are you looking for more than three?
Old Apr 6th, 2005, 05:42 PM
Original Poster

yes, there were recommendations, but they read like possibly being chains off the highway, rather than in the old town of des moines. i don't mind a little must if history comes with it...
Old Apr 9th, 2005, 07:25 AM

The Renaissance Savery is an old historic hotel in downtown Des Moines.... you can usually get a reasonable price on the weekends there if there isn't an "event" in Des Moines. The Hotel Fort Des Moines is also historic but quite wore down and I wouldn't recommend it.
Old Apr 12th, 2005, 01:35 PM

The downtown hotel I hear is the nicest is referred to as "The Suites" and I believe it's at 800 Locust. (I'm sure you could find the full name on-line.) Don't know about the actual hotel at Hotel Fort Des Moines, but the bar is very nice and I understand the restaurant (fortythree) is good.

Truth be told, downtown is fairly dead, although supposedly making a comeback. (We haven't lived here long.) But if you're only staying one night, I think you might enjoy it and it seems better than other possible stop-over sites on your route. If you're here on a Saturday a.m., the downtown farmers' market is fun to walk through on a nice day. There are also a medium number of restaurants, etc., downtown. The brand new downtown science center should be open by then if that's of interest. Happy driving.
Old Apr 12th, 2005, 02:14 PM

Hotel Fort Des Moines isn't bad but just OK rooms. Very inexpensive and I like the location. I also like the bar and restaurant a lot. Convienient Parking across the street.