Reload this Page >

NYC Plays - Which Ones?

Search

NYC Plays - Which Ones?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26th, 2002, 06:34 AM
Obs.

NYC Plays - Which Ones?

I'm planning to see 3 or 4 plays, musicals, etc. - which do you recommend? And what about late night for jazz, music, etc. - any suggestions? Planning on going in the next 4-6 weeks. Many thanks for you help. PS. I will also research this site, and I have the Sunday NY Times Arts & Leasure.

Old Mar 26th, 2002, 08:25 AM
xxx

I'm just curious. Since you apparently know how to research this site and you say you are going to, why don't you do that first? Then you could ask us more specific questions about some of your choices. Why should everyone just repeat what they've already posted in just the last week or so? Sorry if this sounds rude, but it just seems like a logical quesion to me.

Old Mar 26th, 2002, 09:06 AM
Obs.

Sure, xxx, your point is a good one - I've said the same to others on occasion. I was simply wondering if someone might have a special play or show they'd like to suggest, while I'm in the midst of some research. Normally I alot more time to my plans, but I've just come back from NYC, and have the urge to get back there ASAP. So, nope, you didn't seem rude at all. Have a nice day.

Old Mar 26th, 2002, 09:15 AM
justback

I am jsut back and would highly recommend The Full Monty and Cabaret. Didn't think I would like Cabaret but got it at the half price booth and loved it. Molly Ringwald was very impressive. Saw Mamma Mia in London and thought is was pure fun, but the only thing availabe in NY was obstucted view and they wanted $100 for that (what's up with that). The Allergists Wife was good, worth seeing, but not great.

Old Mar 26th, 2002, 09:41 AM
Kelly

I saw Proof last weekend, it was great!
Jennifer Jason Leigh wasn't there that night but the standby was impressive.
It was funny and touching, and the Walter Kerr theatre is beautiful, small enough that everyone has a great view.
You won't be disappointed. Have fun!!

Old Mar 26th, 2002, 12:37 PM
Ellen

Just saw The Crucible with Liam Neeson. Thought it was terrific. Heavy drama, but wonderfully written. The staging is also wonderful. They used a lot of creativity in order to keep with the sparse living of those times, yet came up with something that is up to Broadway standards. For jazz or cabaret, check out the schedules for Arci's Place, Joe's Pub (at the Public), BB Kings, or Feinsteins.

Old Apr 2nd, 2002, 06:23 PM
andy

Excellent suggestions here on theater - - can anyone suggest a nice place for late night jazz?

Old Apr 3rd, 2002, 05:57 AM
me

Saw The Graduate a few weeks ago and it was incredible! Highly recommend this play. Came across a jazz place I think was called the Bird Cage. It was in the theater district but had a $30 cover charge. Walked away and went to Carmine's, also in the theater district, for drinks around mignight, and met the stars of Oaklahoma. Tom Wopat was extremely nice and friendly. While he was talking with us, he was approached by a waitress with a $100 bill with the request he go to a large table of people for a few minutes. He took the money, walked to the table, returned the cash, and shook hands with all the people. He then came back to us to continue the conversation. I thought that was so impressive! He then offered us tickets to the matinee for his show the next day but we had to decline as we were leaving NYC the next morning!

Old Apr 3rd, 2002, 07:04 AM
xxxx

Tom Wopat is in Oklahoma? When did that happen? What part does he play?

Old Apr 3rd, 2002, 07:49 AM
DukeofHazzard

From the official Tom Wopat website:

April 4-7, 2002
Performing in the production of "South Pacific"
Madison Family Theatre - Madison, WI

Old Apr 3rd, 2002, 10:12 AM
Howard

Patrick Wilson is the star of Oklahoma. He was the original lead in The Fully Monty. That's whom you probably met!

Old Apr 3rd, 2002, 10:35 AM
duh

Tom Wopat/Patrick Wilson must have left quite an impression. The next time a Broadway Star offers you free tickets to his hit show, make sure you get his name. Duh!

Old Apr 3rd, 2002, 10:49 AM
xxx

Or at least what show it is you'll be seeing after he gives them to you.