NYC on Weekend vs. Weekday

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23rd, 2008, 06:45 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We get to NYC around noon this Friday for a long weekend, so Friday afternoon will be our only weekday time there. I'm trying to figure out what we should try to do on Friday afternoon as opposed to Saturday or Sunday. We're doing the Gray Line bus thing and I was thinking the buses would be less crowded on Fri, but they may move slower on Fri because of traffic. I was thinking of walking around the financial district on Friday since there would be more activity there, but that would involve taking the subway back to our hotel (Grand Hyatt) and I'm afraid doing that anywhere near rush hour might be too intimidating for us. (Hubby is a little nervous about the NYC subway as it is since he's never been on it, so doing it during rush hour might be a bit much to ask!) We also plan to do the Circle Line cruise (2 hr). Other than that all we plan to do is a lot of walking around. Saturday night is the only thing set in stone as far as timing(dinner reservations and Wicked tickets). Sooo, does anyone have any suggestions as far as what to do on Friday as opposed to Saturday or Sunday. Thanks!
Old Apr 23rd, 2008, 06:52 AM
Original Poster

I forgot to mention that we also want to do Top of the Rock. And it looks like Friday may be the only nice day weather-wise so I guess that's a factor too.
Old Apr 23rd, 2008, 07:56 AM

Hey Pugsley (say 'Hi to Gomez Adams

Friday starts the "Great Migration out of town" for the workers and the "Start of the Party Weekend" for many people

So Friday should be particularly hectic on the streets! But it would be interestin to 'stroll' around to get your 'city legs' under you!

I would wait till Saturday for the Tour Buses.

Your Hotel is right near Grand Central Station, that might be a good place to start.! Then take a walk over to Bryant Park...then Take a walk up to Rock Center area and visit time your TOTR for sunset.

Dinner?? Not knowing your budget I can not recommend anything in the area of Rock Center. Others, I am sure, will give you some suggestions on were to eat!

I am not a big fan of the Circle line tour ( Been a long time since I made that tour) I think you will have a better view/and value with a "Staten Island Ferry Ride"! Especially if you are going to look at the "financial area".

Have a great time! Right now the weather is spectacular!! Hope the rain holds off for you!

Old Apr 23rd, 2008, 08:20 AM

Do NOT get on a bus in Friday - esp in the afternnoon streets will be packed. (I would vote against any bus tour but I know some people like them. For me, the only way to really see NYC is feet - with subway for longer distances).

Do Top of the Rock on Fri - and look into which museums are open in the evening - giving you extra hours to visitt.
Old Apr 23rd, 2008, 08:28 AM
dmlove

I haven't been on the Circle Line cruise since a 4th grade field trip, but (just a head's up) there was a thread just a couple of days ago where several people complained of utter boredom on that trip.

Old Apr 23rd, 2008, 09:07 AM

<<I was thinking of walking around the financial district on Friday since there would be more activity there, but that would involve taking the subway back to our hotel (Grand Hyatt) and I'm afraid doing that anywhere near rush hour might be too intimidating for us.>>

Do you need to return to your hotel during rush hour on Friday? You could stay downtown for dinner, walking over to Chinatown or Little Italy depending on your interests. Take the subway after dinner to and avoid the crush.
Old Apr 23rd, 2008, 10:05 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much everyone – this is a huge help.

I think I’ll skip the Circle Line so we can spend more time walking around. One question: do we need to take the Staten Island Ferry to get a good look at the Statue of Liberty? Or can we see it OK from the Battery Park area? We’ve seen it before, but I know my husband wants to get some pictures of it.

We’ve already purchased the Gray Line tickets so I think we’ll just do that in order to get a quick overview of the city. The tour bus will help to at least be able to get a look at some places I won’t have time to tour, like Harlem and Brooklyn. We want to do the nighttime loop on the bus on Friday night. Seems like it would be nice to see the whole downtown (and cross the Brooklyn Bridge) at night and Friday is our only chance to do that. So we won’t be able to do TotR at sunset or have dinner downtown.

About dining – we’re pretty much casual eaters. The things I’m looking forward to most are pastrami and pizza. We’ll probably go to Grimaldi’s since we want to do the walk over the bridge anyway. I wanted to do Katz but since I don’t want to go to the LES just for that with such limited time, I think we’ll do a deli closer to the hotel (2nd Ave, Sarge’s, Ben’s, Stage…what do you think?). We have reservations at Trattoria Trecolori for Sat night. It doesn’t seem to be real popular here but we couldn’t get reservations at a couple of other places we tried. Plus it got good reviews on tripadvisor and the menu looks good to me. Any ideas on casual places to eat or places to visit when we’re walking around downtown (Chinatown, Little Italy, Village etc.)?

One more thing I really need advice on: how would you tackle Central Park? Since we won’t have much time I just want to try to see some highlights.

Thanks again so much for all your help!

Old Apr 23rd, 2008, 11:09 AM

I would check in and head up to 105 st. & Fifth ave. and have a look at the Conservancy Gardens in Central Park.
http://www.centralparknyc.org/site/P...ervatorygarden

Then have a walk either through the park heading south or on Fifth ave. and go into the Met Museum (81 st.) which is open late on Fri. Have a look at some art or just head up to the roof for some lovely views. Then walk through the park some more if there's still enough light.
Old Apr 23rd, 2008, 11:53 AM

From Battery Park you see the Statue from a distance, but it's more of a rear view. She faces the harbor entry to welcome incoming ships.

Fortunately, Battery Park is so close to the ferry that you could decide once you get there. If your husband feels frustrated photographically by the view from there, just walk over to the ferry and hop on the next boat.

While no the best Italian food around, I find Trattoria Trecolori acceptable for theater district dining.
Old Apr 23rd, 2008, 12:34 PM

While noT the best Italian food around . . .