NYC on a dime~well, okay a quarter....

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28th, 2009, 10:15 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Forgive Typos...this trip was about being in NYC, not necessarily spending money. I include the prices so you can see what was spent without the theatre, museum, or entertainment dollars that folks normally would have.

Flew non revenue standby on Saturday am on JetBlue. Got into NYC and was estatic. Took the AirTrain into Manhattan, and dropped my stuff off at the YMCA near the UN. So far....$40 airfair, $12 subway, and $60 a night at the Y.
Dinked around, basically walking all over the place.

Met my cousin for dinner at Oscars in S. Manhattan off of Houston St. Yummy panini sandwiches for $10ish. DELISH. Hot pepper panini WOOOHOO. Hot! The wine, was also $10, had 2. Alcohol inflates the trip price.....spent $40 there but total bill was $70 for two of us. *The wine here was tremendous. The restaurant was tiny. I would go there again....Went back to Y. Slept ok, but wow, the water heater was LOUD and CLANKY. It must have been an off-season time at the Y, because most of the people I saw there either worked there or WORKED OUT there. They have an incredible gym that you can use while you stay there...and 2 pools.....

Got up on Sunday, walked the few blocks over to Tudor City. Took pictures of the garden, that is really trying to be a garden this time of year. It was a chilly 40 degrees with blustery wind, for the most part while I was in NY. For the day pass price of $7, took the subway up to the north west corner of Central Park. Had coffee and a bagel at the .....oh, I can't think of the name of the great place....its got a green awning, and its not the State Farm office....how's that for not helpful?? We subway-ed it up to 145th St. Hoofed it over to the Convent Avenue (Gospel) Baptist Church. I LOVED IT. I want to go back. Stayed for lunch for a very small NY donation of $5 for Chicken and Mac, cornbread, and cake. YUM. The service was the most uplifting I've experience in a long time. Not just the hip shaking, hand-clapping gospel music, but the message. I really needed it. (give the stuff/junk in your life to God....let go of it) Go if you can and put some dough in the basket when they do the offering. I did laugh a little though, when one time around wasn't enough for the basket, they sent it around twice. The music and service actually lasted about 2 hrs.

Subway-ed back to 110th Street, then walked along Central Park West, taking pictures of dogs on leashes. I had such a nice time. One lady told me not to smile at her dog, because he was naughty. New Yorkers Crack Me Up, and I am easily amused.....

I walked to the Columbus Cirlcle Shopping Center****(how far is the walk from the top to bottom of Central Park? )....I didn't realize NYC had a MALL. (a very fancy mall that would really take away from the 'NYC on a dime' title of this post if one spends money there) I've seen long lines at the grocery in NYC before, but the lines at the Whole Foods Market made me put back my carrot cake because I didn't want to spend my Sunday evening standing in line for delish fattening food.) Nothing spent at the mall, but a few quarters for a payphone, and Starbucks across the street.

Met my cousin and we walked around the Lincoln Center that is undergoing rennovations. Walked to the water on the west side and stood in awe of the skyline. We walked across Manhattan over to Lexington Ave, north of Bloomingdales and ate at my FAVORITE NYC restaurant...Gino on Lexingon. The house wine wasn't so great, but the bread, the appetizer, the gnocchi, the sauce, the atmosphere.....I LOVE IT THERE.....good old-fashioned serious Itallian in NYC. GO there if you can.......$60 for 2 not including tip. *because of app and wine....

On Monday, bought the subway day pass, walked to the Flower Market, which is now one of my favorite places in NYC and took pictures. Drank at least 3 medium cups of Dunc Donut coffee and probably ate 6 donuts.....but I am sure they were burned off. I dragged wrapped flowers home.....I now have 50 Roses.......Red and White, they are beautiful, and HUGE.

Walked around some more. Subway-ed it to Amsterdam Ave on the upper west side to locate the place where I stayed before....HI USA hostel......its nice to see some familiarity.......then went back to the Y for a nap. Headed up to the tram for Roosevelt Island. Read up on that!! Interesting and safe place for folks who were mentally impaired or physically impaired way back when....I'll have to do some reading....
Ate dinner, eggplant and pasta, at Patsy's Itallian $25 after the Tram back to Mahattan. (Tram accepted the day pass sot there wasn't an additional charge) Stopped at Dylan's Candy Bar $30 on chocolate....and then headed back to the Y. Got up at 4 am, took a cab $45 + $10 tip, and back to JFK and JetBlue I went. Purchased return flight for $129 a few months ago. This very short whirlwind tour of NYC was around $500. For 4 days, 3 nights.....I didn't shop or go a museum...maybe next time......I skipped the Jazz show that I bought a tkt for on Monday night. I didn't feel like making the jaunt back to the Columbus Circle area at 10 pm. I am definitely more of a morning person.....and one who likes rest......*it is exhausting to get around NYC requiring tons of energy......

This is typed in a hurry, not edited, really, but hope you enjoy the brevity of the trip, and the brevity of the story.....by the way, the subway/train prices may be going up......normally subway is $2, but they are probably going to increase it to $2.50 very soon.....google their website.....P.S. Restaurants and hotels really want you to visit NYC, so go if you can! When I mentioned the Clanky water heater and a cockroach by the pool to the YMCA, they offered me a free night...... I'll accept it....NY really wants people to come there. Deals will be had....and after being offered a free night for my return, you can bet I will be there again, in May, when its warmer and gardens are blooming. ***yes the bug was gross, but I know they aren't just at the Y, I would bet they are everywhere, yuck I know.....how do I not end my post with a bug???

By telling you to watch out for my next NYC trip report and eat a lot if you go, you will need the energy boosting carbs......
Old Mar 28th, 2009, 11:07 AM

Great report - I can't believe you can do it so cheap! "Dylan's Candy Bar $30 on chocolate" It's crucial to splurge on the important things. lol. I've never been on that tram, I'll have to try it one day.
Old Mar 28th, 2009, 12:49 PM

Hats off to you Gypsymaiden, good report, and great savings.
Old Mar 30th, 2009, 12:38 PM

Went to Dylans the other day too- bought my kids some candy - $70+ - well, a lot of it will go in the Easter Basket!!

Enjoyed your report!

My favorite meals were the inexpensive impromptu ones - the ones I spent a lot of $ were very disappoionting.
Old Mar 30th, 2009, 01:08 PM

If you are looking for good, cheap candy, try Economy Candy. It's on the lower east side (108 Rivington Street), which is really quite the trendy shopping area these days (Orchard Street is best, I think, if you just want to stroll and window-ship). It's close to SoHo, so you can just walk a few blocks west and find the more expensive stores.
Old Mar 30th, 2009, 02:08 PM

I really enjoyed reading your report. It sounded like you did a lot.
Old Mar 31st, 2009, 07:32 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for taking the time to read and comment. I am out of dough until.....next time.....Need to save some $.......so I can go to a show.....and just have a slice of pizza.....I'll forgo Patsy's but will try to revisit Oscar's and definitely will go back to Gino. Until next time.....GypsyMaiden
Old Mar 31st, 2009, 10:21 PM

Hi GypsyMaiden,
Native NYer here- I enjoyed your trip report alot and think you really know how to travel in NYC! Kudos to you.
Old Apr 1st, 2009, 04:38 AM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
Thanks for the fun report.

That's the great thing about New York. Lots to do and see for cheap, lots to do and see for big bucks too. I'm just not disciplined enough to stick to the cheap stuff the way I did thirty to forty years ago, so I end up mixing and matching.
Old Apr 1st, 2009, 07:37 AM

Wow, $500! And it sounds like you had a great trip! Thanks for posting.
Old Apr 1st, 2009, 01:08 PM

Fun trip and fun read. How much was your room at the Y? Have you considered bidding on Priceline?
Old Apr 1st, 2009, 01:59 PM

Thanks for the fun report!