Reload this Page >

NYC next weekend with a 12-year old

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7th, 2002, 05:32 PM
Mc

I'm taking my son on a quick trip to NYC next weekend as a reward for good grades. I was hoping to get a room in the theatre district for about $130-$150, but I'm striking out everywhere. Any recommendations for a place that's clean, nice, and inexpensive?

Old Nov 8th, 2002, 02:04 AM
Linda

I'm a New Yorker and I was just on Travelocity.com and found a $ 150 room at the Hotel Wellington. It's a good location, near the theatres. Of course, there's always the Milford Plaza, or the Hotel Pennsylvania...

Old Nov 8th, 2002, 04:04 AM
susan

Quickbook had the Warwick for $149.00

Old Nov 8th, 2002, 04:19 AM
xxx

What if he hadn't got good grades? Don't struggling kids deserve treats too? No, I'm not criticizing you, Mc, and I think it's lovely to take your son to NYC, and I hope you have a great time. But good grades make the whole family feel great even without other rewards - it's the kids who worked hard and still got poor grades (and no trip) who I feel sorry for.

Re hotels: Have you tried Radio City Suites or the Doubletree?

Old Nov 8th, 2002, 04:43 AM
xxx

Try quickbook.com as suggested above, and also try Best Western President, and if you have experience with Priceline, you should be able to find suitable accommodations around $100 in Midtown. Avoid Milford & Pennsylvania - they are dumps.

I don't know what you have planned for activities, but the wax museum on 42nd Street is interesting and a lot of fun.

Old Nov 8th, 2002, 07:53 AM
HigherEd

Try placing a bid for a midtown west hotel through priceline.com. Before you place a bid, go to biddingfortravel.com for bidding tips. They also list recent bids and hotel reviews. I won a bid for a 4-star hotel for $75 back in March. I've stayed at the Wellington Hotel too. The location is great but the rooms are ready for a facelift. The common areas, however, were well maintained. It gets a bit crazy around check-in time as there is a small staff.