NYC next weekend

May 7th, 2010, 04:45 PM
Original Poster

NYC next weekend

My daughter who just turned 20 and myself will be spending 4 days in NYC and we have a few questions we hope someone can help us with.
1. Do you think a 20 yr old would enjoy In The Heights or Memphis better as a Broadway selection>
2. Is it worth it to purchase advance tickets to The Rock or just buy them whenever we /can work it in to our days?
3.IF we take the subway to Brooklyn from Midtown and walk back across the bridge will we feel safe at dusk ?
4. If our plane leaves La Guardia at 7 30pm on a week night what time should we leave Midtown by Taxi to arrive in plenty of time for our flight?
Thank you. We are excited even though the third in our party just cancelled due to nervousness about Time Square. I
May 7th, 2010, 04:57 PM

1) I haven't seen either yet but I would vote for In The Heights

2) You can go to Top of the Rock whenever it fits into your schedule

3) Whether you will feel safe is up to you. There will be many many people on the Bridge at dusk enjoying themselves.

4) I'd guess between 4 and 4:30.

Have no fear - TS had 2 false alarms today.
May 7th, 2010, 05:00 PM

1. Do you think a 20 yr old would enjoy In The Heights or Memphis better as a Broadway selection?
> Depends on the 20 year old. In the Heights seems to please most who report about it.

2. Is it worth it to purchase advance tickets to The Rock or just buy them whenever we /can work it in to our days?
> If you mean Top of the Rock, I would wait to see how the weather is. You don't want to do this if it is foggy or raining.

3.IF we take the subway to Brooklyn from Midtown and walk back across the bridge will we feel safe at dusk ?
> I don't know about you, but I would feel safe.

4. If our plane leaves La Guardia at 7 30pm on a week night what time should we leave Midtown by Taxi to arrive in plenty of time for our flight?
> I would arrange for a car service since it is difficult to hail a taxi on the street at that hour--many taxis are changing shifts. I would arrange the car service for no later than 5:00 pm to allow for an hour in traffic (20 minutes at other times).

We are excited even though the third in our party just cancelled due to nervousness about Time Square.
> Since most New Yorkers are continuing to live their lives as before--or at least in the same way we have since September 2001--I find your "third's" concerns misplaced. He or she will miss a memorable trip with you and your daughter.

You're welcome.
May 7th, 2010, 05:16 PM

1. I enjoyed both plays, but I thought that In the Heights was better than Memphis. My 15 and 12 year old kids also liked Heights better.
May 7th, 2010, 05:42 PM

1. In the Heights
2. Nope, it depends on the weather, some ppl prefer near sundown to go to the Top of the Rock
3. You should. Lots of people use the bridge as part of their daily commute, to jog across before and after work, to watch the sun rise and set. The main thing is to try to stay out of the bike lane.

4. Get a car service, you will be leaving during the time most taxis go off duty
May 8th, 2010, 04:58 AM

I am in the same boat, 2 of us have to get to La Guardia to catch a flight leaving 6.29 PM on a Tuesday. Can you recommend any particular car service.?

Also I shall appreciate a recommendation for car service for our family arriving earlier in the morning aprox7 AM to JFK on a Friday. They also need a car to LaGuardia early in the morning on a Wednesday . The thing is that they are 3 adults and four children.....Thank you.
May 8th, 2010, 05:12 AM

Standard and usually reliable services are Dial 7 or Carmel. Look at the web sites for possible coupons.

When arriving at the airport I just grab a cab - easier than waiting the driver and hoping he comes to the right place - usually do, but not always.

To get from the city to the airport a car service is better - since that way you are not out n the street with luggage searching for a cab.

For time to leave the city check you airline, but esp if flying coach I would plan on getting to the airports 2 hours in advance to allow for long check in and security lines. Usually an hour is long enough to get to LGA - but check with the car service - they will know if anything special (construction, Mets game, etc) will hold up traffic.

For so many people and so much luggage they need to ask the car service what type of vehicle will hold everyone/everthing.
May 8th, 2010, 05:46 AM

1) In the Heights for sure. I've seen them both and while I liked Memphis, In the Heights is younger and more entertaining. Do you know you can buy discounted tickets in advance by using a discount code from the left column of broadwaybox.com?

2) There are usually no or very short lines at TOTR. Do you know there's a combo ticket with MOMA? That has to be bought at either venue (TOTR or MOMA)in person and doesn't mean you have to visit both on the same day.

3) Without knowing you, it's hard to know whether you'll feel safe. I don't know why you're picking dusk. I'd head to Brooklyn on a Sat. or Sun. morning, go to the flea market http://www.brooklynflea.com/map/index.html, have a stroll along the Promenade http://www.worldfromtheweb.com/Parks.../44790_25.html, have brunch and then walk back.

4) It depends on when your airline wants you at the airport and whether you're staying on the east or west side. It generally takes ~45 mins. to get to LGA but if you're staying in Times Square and have to go crosstown, leave yourselves more time. Dial7.com is the car service I usually recommend for a price similar to a taxi but with a fixed rate (which a taxi won't provide) so you won't pay more if the traffic is bad.
May 8th, 2010, 02:47 PM

Regarding Moma and TOTR I thought that the combo ticket is a good buy but you might have to wait at MOMA. ;-( versus buying a ticket by the internet.
Since we are a big group, 2 adults and 3 seniors + children who are free, I bought a Natioinal/International membeship which has all the benifits of a Regular Member and is $60. I did it because most likely my husband and I would like to visit during this trip more than once and have lunch at the museum too.
(ALso because it brings back good memories when I lived in NY I was a member, and
because I was working near very often I had lunch in the old cafeteria by the little garden)