Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

NYC next week-what to pack, what to wear?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3rd, 2004, 06:55 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's finally time to start packing for our much-anticipated trip to NYC, where we'll be celebrating our 25th anniversary. We'd been planning on mainly jeans, slacks, sweaters, jackets (fall-type clothing). That plan had been based on this summer of odd, cool weather which seemed to be leading up to an early, cold autumn. However...the weather pattern seems to have changed and I see that the forcast for next week in NY calls for temps to be 70's and 80's. Any suggestions..helpful hints? We are planning on one (not huge) suitcase each (plus carry-on). We've received so much help from Fodors in the past, I figured we might as well throw this question out there too. We'll be in the city 9/7-12. Thanks!
Old Sep 4th, 2004, 03:23 AM

Layers! Even if days are warm, the evenings will cool off significantly. Unlikely that you'll need jackets, though. On days that will hit 80, I wear a sleeveless top and a shirt over that.
Old Sep 4th, 2004, 03:23 AM

The weather has been really nice the past week here in northern NJ (about 20 miles east of NYC) with everyone pretty much still wearing their summer clothing (shorts, tank tops, flip flops, etc).

Based on that and the forecast for next week, I think sweaters or jackets would be unnecessary. If anything, it might be a good idea to bring one sweater or a light jacket for those evenings when it cools down a little.

Unless you are the type of person that gets cold in anything less than 80 degree weather, I would say bring light clothing and leave the sweaters and jackets home.
Old Sep 4th, 2004, 04:47 AM

Or you could do what I'd do--conveniently forget the jacket and if it gets cold... "Oh My!" just have to go shopping! Happy 25th!
Old Sep 4th, 2004, 05:02 AM

Forget the fall clothing. It's late summer here. Temps 70-80 day and maybe down to 60-65 night.
Old Sep 4th, 2004, 05:05 AM

I like Syd's advice - shopping! But seriously, the idea of layers is a good one. I live in Pennsylvania and the evenings have been cooler lately. It's true that the days have been warm. Walking in NYC keeps the blood flowing a bit but if there's rain it could also get quite cool. Happy 25th!
Old Sep 4th, 2004, 05:27 AM

I know this summer has been oddly cool - few temps in the 90s and none over 100. But early Sept is still very much summer in NYC. Sweaters and jackets are not needed - except for a very thin one - perhaps if you do a boat ride at night. You should plan on 80 during the day - and probably no lower then 65 at night - and it could easily be warmer.
Old Sep 4th, 2004, 08:30 AM

Sweaters and jackets? Layering?? No no no...it's still summer here. I am wearing a tank top and capris today and am considering changing into shorts because it's very warm out. Last night it was still in the 70s at 11PM. The subways are still sweltering...this past week has been the hottest of the year underground. Of course, ONE lightweight sweater or jacket would be a good thing to bring because of over-air conditioning in a lot of indoor spaces (including subway cars).

Look at the weather forecast for the next week...you will see that the low temperature (meaning, at 4 in the morning) for the entire week is 66 degrees.

Bring short sleeve tops. Jeans may be too warm...consider lighter-weight pants and capris. Lighter weight clothing = less luggage to carry!