Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

What's the weather like in NYC this week?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23rd, 2003, 01:24 PM
jem

We're leaving for NYC tomorrow and from what I see on the forecast, it's in the 70's and cloudy. Does it start out chilly in the morning, get warm and muggy, and cool down in the evening, or what? We'll probably be out walking all day and I'm unsure what to take. I'm thinking I might need a light coat and maybe a sweater. Should I forget sandals and sleeveless dresses?

Old Sep 23rd, 2003, 01:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Your guess is as good as anybody's. I arrived on Friday for a month and so far have been a little warm in simply a long sleeve shirt even in the evening. But today we awoke to pouring rain which continued nonstop until noon. This afternoon it turned clear and actually sunny and is supposed to be clear tonight -- off and on cloudy the rest of the week. You will probably want a sweater or light jacket before the week is out. And don't forget your umbrella, just in case.
Old Sep 23rd, 2003, 01:49 PM

yes, forget sandals and sleeveless dresses. While we may still warm up a bit, it's not likely to be warm enough to make you wantwto wear either.

Definitely a sweater and a light raincoat or jacket.At this time of the year, it does cool off at night even if it has been very warm during the day (as opposed to summer when we sometimes have 85 degree temps at midnight!).
But it has't been really cold yet (though of course it can always change) --peopel have been wearing fall colors but nothing really heavy weight--cotton sweaters rather than wool, for example
Old Sep 23rd, 2003, 02:16 PM

We're headed to NYC this weekend. I won't be packing any sleeveless dresses or sandals. I'm taking a polartec jacket (casual) and wool blazer (dressier) for after sundown, along with twin sweater (short sleeve under, long sleeve over) sets for daytime. It does tend to be warmest in the afternoon. Even so, you never know if it will overcooled or quite warm when going indoors (hence the twin sets).
Old Sep 23rd, 2003, 03:08 PM

It has been in the high 60s in the early morning (when I leave for work) and for a couple hours after sunset, but warmer (no-jacket, lightweight top weather) in the middle of the day. Definitely not hot enough for sleeveless outfits, though a few people are still wearing sandals.

A light coat or a sweater is a good idea.
Old Sep 23rd, 2003, 04:30 PM

Expect some humidity related bad hair days, but low 70's for the highs, which is great walking weather. I am still wearing sandals/mules, and will continue to do so until the first frost! Also, bring an umbrella!