COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

NYC Newbie...Help??

Old May 6th, 2006, 06:28 PM
Original Poster

NYC Newbie...Help??

Hi
I just found this site and have read lots but thought I might throw out a few questions I have on planning our trip...

I have been watching rates and trying to decide where to stay while we are in the Big Apple, but you guys/gals are the experts. There will be just 2 of us for 4 nights June 7-11th...

1. Traveleing primarily for the Yankees/Red Sox series in early June so not sure whether to stay "in" the city or around the outskirts...

2. If staying in the city, where would be the most convienent to stay for easy access to the attractions including the game....

3. I notice lots of references encouraging booking hotels through priceline...What are some experiences you have had? Good/Bad?

Thanks I will probably think of more later...

KA
Old May 6th, 2006, 06:47 PM
GoTravel

Stay in Manhattan. I wouldn't stay around Yankee Stadium because there is nothing there. If you aren't familiar with NYC, don't even consider staying in the outskirts as everything you do will be in Manhattan and commuting can be a huge PIA.

Do you have your baseball tickets already?

Don't even consider priceline without spending a couple of hours (no joke) readding at www.BiddingForTravel.com . There are no shortcuts to using priceline.

Old May 6th, 2006, 07:21 PM

You can take the subway from Manhattan to the stadium. If you're not familiar with the area, I wouldn't recommend driving. Anywhere in Manhattan would be fine.
Old May 6th, 2006, 07:22 PM

since you're new here, I'd also recommend searching for "Yankee stadium" - you'll find lots of useful info
Old May 6th, 2006, 09:19 PM
Original Poster

Yes we have our tickets....(important things first )Now we need to make sure we get a decent place to stay...

TIA. Any more advice would be GREATLY appreciated

KA
Old May 6th, 2006, 11:29 PM

Staying in midtown you have access to all the attractions. If you want to stay uptown, there is a new B&B on W147th St (right on my block) and this area is walkable (over the 155th bridge) to Yankee Stadium. There is also the A and D trains around the corner which will get you to midtown in about 15 minutes (depending on time of day). THe entire block has been redone and it is all lovely brownstones that are probably 100 years old or so lining the block. The B&B is quite pretty and I think the rooms are going for around $100 a night.

I would also suggest looking at www.hotels.com and www.orbitz.com for more suggestions on hotels. Hotels.com will give you lots of info on amenities, location and rates for your dates of travel. I think it is one of the best travel sites.

One hint, don't wear your Red Sox hat at Yankee Stadium. (I'm a Sox Fan too, but, lol I keep that quiet here, lol)

Have a great time while you are here, and let us know if you have any other questions.

Old May 6th, 2006, 11:52 PM

Hi

My wife and I went to NYC for the first time a couple of years back. I have posted my experience in a trip report with pictures and links on my homepage http://gardkarlsen.com/new_york_city_trip_report.htm . Maybe you can find some useful info there

Regards
Gard
Stavanger, Norway
Old May 7th, 2006, 04:57 AM

1. Stay in Manhattan.

2. Typical tourist sites are scattered throughout the city. Most tourists like to stay "midtown" which is generally considered 34 st-59 st. Yankee Stadium is north of Manhattan and there are subway lines on both the east and west side to get there. If you're going to more than 1 game, staying a bit further uptown might be nice. You might pay a bit less. The upper west side is very popular and has some good hotel options. It's accessible to midtown yet a more residential area. The Lucerne, On the Avenue, the Beacon, the Excelsior and the Milburn are all decent. There are also some nice b & bs up there. Wymanhouse.com

3. Priceline is an excellent way for a couple to get a great deal and works especially well for just a few nights. I agree you need to know how to bid and biddingfortravel.com or betterbidding.com are both good sites to learn. Make sure you understand the concept of a free re-bid before you start. You should book something you'd be happy with that's cancellable and then try Priceline. Imo, bidding 4* in NYC is the way to go. Prices are not that much less for 3* and some of the 3* hotels are not that great.

FYI, those dates in June appear to be very expensive. It's a popular time in NYC.
Old May 7th, 2006, 09:37 AM

I assume you have your Yankees/RedSox tickets already (I believe they were sold out the day they went on sale). If you don;t - get them NOW - either through e-bay (but make sure you use a reliable seller) or one of the on-line scalpers (we use stubhub.com and have found their prices to be as reasonable as the scalpers ever are). Do NOT wait to try to get them at the stadium - you will have no idea what kind of tickets they are - and some are counterfeit.

Definitely stay in the city. Attractions are spread outover an 8 mile area (not including Yankee Stadium in the Bronx) so it;s more a matter of budget, taste and what you can find available.

Prices are esp high this year - so if you can find Priceline 4* got for it. Do not do 3* since some are not very pleasant.

Subways go almost everywhere quickly and conveniently - so don;t make that your primary deciding factor.

If you tell people your budget you can get some specific suggestions.