NYC New Year's Eve the Annual Concert for Peace

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10th, 2007, 10:11 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Over the last few years, I have posted this concert and was thrilled to have a few Fodorite Families come to the concert, so I got to meet quite a few people, which was so great.

So,,,,I'm posting again. The Concert for Peace is at St. John the Divine, 110th and Amsterdam, and this year's concert should be something even a bit more special since all of the rennovations are supposed to be complete and the full cathedral re-opened after a fire a few years ago, that destroyed the gift shop and several parts of the cathedral.

The MC each year is Harry Smith of CBS and each year we have a special guest from Broadway or an Opera Star, but I won't know for a few weeks who that will be.

There is a full orchestra, chorus of at least 100 singers, and it's FREE, you do however need a ticket, and that's why this post.

If you are interested in coming to the concert as my guest, you will get to sit with the friends and family of the chorus, and hey aren't we all family here???

So let me know if you are going to be in the city, or live here and would like to be a part of this wonderful evening. I will start a list of how many tickets we will need.

Wow this year sure has gone by,,,,,fast..........
Old Nov 11th, 2007, 02:41 AM
kealalani

My mom has gone to this and loved it.

Old Nov 13th, 2007, 09:34 PM
Original Poster

just thought I would top this every couple of weeks until the holidays.
Old Nov 14th, 2007, 06:25 AM
Original Poster

ttt
Old Nov 18th, 2007, 10:23 AM
Original Poster

Hot off the presses, ok actually I just got the official email about the concert, so thought I would top it.

This year the chorus is singing pieces by Aron Copeland and Ralph Vaughan Williams. The special guest will be Lauren Flanigan, so this year the concert should be wonderful. I just got the rehearsal schedule and details.

If anyone is interested in coming, please let me know.
Old Nov 18th, 2007, 01:02 PM

travelbuff, one year I'm going to take you up on your offer. I would love to attend and I LOVE Appalachian Spring. I bet this year's music will be wonderful with the Copeland addition. Thanks for this yearly offer.
Old Nov 29th, 2007, 05:17 PM
Original Poster

ttt for anyone interested, please let me know. I have 2 tickets taken and I only get a maximum of 8.
Old Dec 7th, 2007, 04:47 AM
Original Poster

Just thought I would top this for over the weekend.
Old Dec 8th, 2007, 06:56 PM
kealalani

Topping this to remind myself to ask mamalani if she is attending this year.....

Old Dec 9th, 2007, 05:04 PM

travelbuff,
I have been to the concert several times but missed last year's concert. Tickets were never required in the past, except for the reserved seating up front. Is that what you're referring to or is this something new and are tickets now required for all seating? TIA
Old Dec 9th, 2007, 09:19 PM
Original Poster

I think because of security reasons and because the cathedral is not fully reopend yet, (due to slow rebuilding, the rededication will be next year), so there are fewer seats for the concert. Most years the cathedral is FULL for this concert and if I remember correctly the cathedral holds something like 5,000 people.

The tickets I am issued are for a special section which is for friends and family of those participating in the concert and yes you get better seats.

Let me know if you are interested in coming.
Old Dec 12th, 2007, 10:47 AM

Thank you for the offer, Travelbuff. I will be with one or two friends on New Year's Eve and haven't had input from them yet on what they want to do. So I don't want to take you up on your offer unless/until I know for sure - assuming you could accommodate all or both of us. Thanks again.

BTW, do you know how long the concert will be? Two years ago it ended approximately an hour earlier than in past years and we had more than an hour to kill before dinner. So we walked the 45 blocks to Shun Lee West!
Old Dec 12th, 2007, 02:04 PM
Original Poster

I've been told that the concert will be over around 9pm, and the start time as usual is 7pm, so that should leave lots of time for more celebrating.

Yes please let me know if you would like tickets, I would LOVE to have you come.

Old Dec 15th, 2007, 01:31 PM
Original Poster

ttt for the last time.
Old Dec 22nd, 2007, 06:17 AM
Original Poster

I'm holding onto a couple more tickets if anyone else is interested.
Old Dec 22nd, 2007, 06:27 AM

travelbuff, I think this is a great offer -- and just wish I were up there to take advantage of it. Sounds great.
Old Jan 1st, 2008, 05:54 AM
kealalani

How was the concert?! Happy New Year travelbuff2

Old Jan 1st, 2008, 07:09 AM
Original Poster

You guys missed a wonderful performance, Lauren Flannigan was spectacular and the concert this year was more poinent than ever. At the very end of the concert we all have candles and sing choir and audience "Let there be Peace on Earth",,,,,something to pray for in 2008.

Happy New Year EVERYONE!!!!