Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Considering a convertible rental for Monterey in December... crazy?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2nd, 2007, 06:18 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We've gone "top down" with tempuratures in the 40's before at home... Do you think there will there be enough decent days in Monterey in late December to justify renting a convertible for our trip?
Old Sep 2nd, 2007, 06:54 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
well - you definitely should get it at a discount It probably won't be in the 40's during the day - and it might not even rain. But top down weather, not so much.

(BTW - why do you go top-down in the 40's?? Sure, w/ the side windows rolled up, and the heater on full blast. But top-down/windows up is not a good look)
Old Sep 2nd, 2007, 07:27 PM
Original Poster

LOL... Well, you do what you can when you have limited pleasant weather, and frankly, the "look" just isn't a big concern. Life is too short!

I realize locals won't think 60 degrees is convertible weather, but coming from the sub zero temps - heck, I'll show restraint by not busting out the bikini I'm really asking about typical rain fall, wind sheer, etc.

Thanks for your input janisj
Old Sep 3rd, 2007, 05:51 AM

Given your history, sure, go convertible. Not that much rain around Monterey Peninsula, nights chilly, but days in 50s and 60s.
Old Sep 3rd, 2007, 08:48 AM
dmlove

It can rain (it's during rainy season anyway, which is from about mid-October to mid-April), but if it rains, you put up the top. Problem solved LOL!

Old Sep 3rd, 2007, 09:10 AM
Original Poster

What kind of nut job rents a convertible in December! The OP must have brain damage or is perhaps seriously menopausal.

(Thanks for your replies)
Old Sep 3rd, 2007, 09:31 AM

As long as the car comes with a top you can put back on, why not? ;-)
Old Sep 3rd, 2007, 09:56 AM

I wouldn't bother in December in Monterey, especially paying more for a convertible. And late December? Rain is a strong possibility. In September and October, a big yes! Trust this Bay area native who has been to Monterey area over a hundred times.
Old Sep 3rd, 2007, 03:21 PM

I am with the "go for it" crowd. kpj - I usually agree with you, but on this one, I've got to disagree Although there is a high probability of rain that time of year, the probability of rain the entire time is low. Get the convertible for the times it is not raining. And if by chance you end up here during really stormy weather, you can always change your mind and get a hard top car.
Old Sep 3rd, 2007, 03:51 PM

Yes- go for it! Stop at Target or somewhere and buy a couple of cheap polar fleece blankets to use as "lap robes".

I do this (along with a earmuffs, jacket, mittens, windows up, heat on) on beautiful winter nights to see the stars and feel the wind. Only other true convertible junkies understand!
Old Sep 3rd, 2007, 04:25 PM
Original Poster

Awe... Now some of you really get the spirt of this nutty poster! WoooHooo!
Old Sep 3rd, 2007, 04:40 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I had convertible sports cars for more than 20 years and spent a lot of time on the coast. Also had two different convertibles while living in the UK so you KNOW I undersatnd driving a rag top in all sorts of weather. I even had a convertible w/o a rear window for a whole winter.

But I personally wouldn't pay a premium for a convertible in Dec. If you can get one for the same price or less than a boring hard top - go for it. But are you sure they will even have a rag top in the inventory in Dec? Where are you renting from?
Old Sep 3rd, 2007, 04:55 PM
Original Poster

It's no prob Janisj. Thanks for your consern.
Old Sep 3rd, 2007, 04:57 PM
Original Poster

Oh jeeze - I can't believe I spelled "concern" wrong!
Old Sep 3rd, 2007, 04:58 PM

I love it! Reminds me of a trip to the San Francisco bay area that my sister and I took a couple of years ago. We were informed at the counter that they were out of cars and they would give us one as soon as it became available. A short time later they asked if we would like a convertible. We said we couldn't afford to pay more and they said we could have it for the price of the compact we had reserved. It was April and the weather was cold. However we are hearty Wisconsin folk. We were quite a sight I'm sure. Two 50+ old ladies driving along Hwy 1 with our top down, gray hair blowing in the wind and freezing half to death. It was a great trip! I say go for it!
Old Sep 3rd, 2007, 05:03 PM

I think we have have rain between Christmas and New Years the last three years, LOL. Thanks J_C, and no problem on the difference of opinion. I actually think ShaeC made up her (I think) mind before she posted.
Old Sep 3rd, 2007, 05:21 PM
Original Poster

Nope Janisj - still haven't booked the car part. I just think that the difference in price is slight enough to make it worth the chance. I realize that for the time spent on the freeway, it's a no-go with the top down, but frankly, here in the midwest, the first day we get warm enough to start thawing (and I'm not kidding - like 40 degrees!) people take the top down to cruise around town. I think it might be fun (between the rain spurts)
Old Sep 3rd, 2007, 05:28 PM
Original Poster

oops again - that was trippinkpj
Old Jan 1st, 2008, 05:51 AM
Original Poster

In the interest of tring to be a better experience-poster instead of just an asker of questions, here's what happened with the convertible. With the exception of one day, we had the top down for some portion of each day. (one day was a bit misty) I was surprised actually about how often we did keep it down, but for the beautiful drives (such as the 17 mile, along the coast on hwy 1, etc) it made the experience so much more enjoyable! What a beautiful place. (How I wish I had the 7 million it would cost for one of those ocean front homes

The highs were mostly around 55, but the sun was gorgeous. It's true - we did mostly have the windows up and often the heat on a little, but I have to say... I enjoyed the fresh air and the views so much that I didn't care if I looked silly. Still - I did notice that all of the other convertible drivers were doing the same. Few if any had the top up. Probably all of us were rental car drivers from the Midwest The locals probably had their convertibles in storage for more respectible top-down weather.

Thanks again to all who posted! Happy New year!
Old Jan 1st, 2008, 06:30 AM

Good for you! Glad you had such a good time. Meanwhile, back in the Midwest, we had snow and then we had snow and then a few flurries to top it off.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -