Search

NYC - Maine, Please critique our itinerary

Search this Thread

Old May 13th, 2006, 05:47 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NYC - Maine, Please critique our itinerary

Hi everyone,

My bf and I will be driving from NYC to Maine the second week in September. Here is our planned itinerary:

NYC-Camden: 2 days (in Camden)
Camden-Bar Harbor: 3 days (in Bar Harbor)
Ogonquit/York Harbor: 1 day

I figured we should break the drive up to Bar Harbor by spending sometime in Camden. Do you think this is worth it or should we just go straight to Bar Harbor (or spend only one night in Camden)? We're spending 1 night in Southern Maine for the outlets.

We're in our 20s and enjoy good food, the outdoors and art.

Please provide any other suggestions! Thanks so much!

Old May 14th, 2006, 04:55 AM

Camden is one of the most beautiful towns in Maine. If you like wine, visit the Cellar Door Winery in nearby Lincolnville. Take a picnic lunch to the top of Mt Battie overlooking Camden Harbor. Don't forget binnoculars. (You can drive up the auto road.) There are some lovely shops in Camden. You could so just an overnight in Camden or do some leisurely exploring. If you enjoy art, on the way to Camden you should stop at the Farnsworth Museum in Rockland. It features Maine artists. And if you stop in Rockland you should find a really good place for lobster like Waterman's Beach. Small place, on the water. This is a lobster shack type of place. The best picnic tables are out in the open so wear a hat and sunglasses and ENJOY the view. Also take the short hike out to the Owls Head Lighthouse. Great views from there, too. If you do this, then you'll need 2 nights in Camden. Because it might take you longer to get to Bar Harbor than you thought if you decide to explore the big chicken coop antiques and used books before you get to Ellsworth and maybe stop in Belfast for lunch. There's an awful lot between southern Maine and Bar Harbor. Take your time getting there. I'm taking my advice this July. We've explored a lot but seem to have just driven thru Wiscasset so this year we'll spend a week in Wiscasset.
Old Jun 7th, 2006, 12:14 PM

Are you driving straight from NYC to Camden? Are you concerned about it being too long a drive? I'm considering flying since we have limited vacation days...
Old Jun 7th, 2006, 12:36 PM

dfrost,
About the winery, are they actually growing grapes in Maine? What kind? We'll be in Boothbay in August and might take a ride up to Camden, we brake for wine.
Old Jun 7th, 2006, 12:39 PM

Laya,
If you're coming from NYC don't waste your time shopping in the outlets, spend your overnight in Kennebunkport, Portland, mid-cost or Camden.

You live in the best shopping area in the world, when you go to Maine, look at the scenery! Drive out to the Pemaquid peninsula and look at a few lighthouses and fishing villages, save the shopping for home, it's really not that great, trust me.
Old Jun 7th, 2006, 02:42 PM

I agree with nina, skip the Kittery outlets. They're nothing to write home about, you probably have a million similar stores close to home. It would be nice to spend the day in Ogunquit though. Another alternative is Portsmouth NH. Great harbor town with a great downtown that has lots of cute shops and restaurants.