Coastal Maine Must Sees

Search

Coastal Maine Must Sees

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14th, 2008, 07:53 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Coastal Maine Must Sees

My sister and I have decided to visit the coast of Maine in mid August. We will fly into Portland and stay a 2-3 nights somewhere between Portland and Acadia, then a 3-4 nights in Bar Harbor area.

1.) What city should we stay in between Portland and Acadia that is near the water, cute town with shops etc... to browse, and could get a good deal, less than $100.00 a night for 2 beds. Any recommendations on hotels? No B&B's because I have an infant.

2.) What are must sees between Portland and Bar Harbor? Great places to eat? Great short hikes or nature trails? I want to pack as much as I can in because most likely I may never get back seeing as I live 3000 miles away.

3.) Any recommendations for lodging in or around Bar Harbor? Less than $100 a night, 2 beds, and no B&B's?

Thanks!!!

Cindy.
Old Apr 15th, 2008, 08:54 AM

I liked the Wiscasset area for between Portland and Acadia. We camped but there are plenty of independent motels on Rt 1. Visit Maine Coastal Gardens near Boothbay. Boothbay has a lot of shopping but I thought food etc was pricier. Visit Farnsworth Museum in Rockland, Owls Head Light (short hike plus small rocky beach.)Stop in Camden on your way to Acadia. Take a picnic lunch to the top of Mt Battie which overlooks Camden Harbor. Hike or take auto road. We also found Pemaquid Point and Lighthouse a pleasant place to sit awhile. Very good lobster places nearby in Round Top. If you need reading material, you'll pass a combination antique place/used books store in what used to be a huge chicken coop on Rt 1 between Camden and Ellsworth.
Old Apr 15th, 2008, 11:31 AM

You might look into stops at Kennebunkport, Wells and Ogunquit. I make a point to eat at the Lobster pound in Ogunquit when in the area. This is a lovely area, good choice
Old Apr 15th, 2008, 11:46 AM

We love the lighthouses. You can get a map of them with driving directions. (You can drive almost right up to most of them.)

Favorite places between Portland and Acadia are Camden and Bar Harbor.
Old Apr 15th, 2008, 12:47 PM

Ogunquit is a lovely town. There is a really cute trail that's right by the ocean called Marginal Way. Not to be missed if you're in Maine.
Old Apr 15th, 2008, 02:11 PM

Highly recommend "Maine, An Explorer's Guide".

It's probably best to determine which places you would find most appealing to you.