NYC Lucerne vs On the Ave hotel

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17th, 2007, 01:33 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll be staying 2 nights to help DD settle in at Columbia.

I've stayed at the Lucerne and the Excelsior serval times, but ON The Ave looks interesting, and seems to be about as close to the Subway as Lucerne.

The prices are the same at each ( =/-$210 a night) Lucerne has Nice Matin attached and free internet, but the rooms look more nicer at On the Ave.

On the Ave also doesn't have pics of their bathrooms....Is there a reason they aren't showing them?? ;-)

Any preferesnces out there?

Thanks
Old Aug 17th, 2007, 03:19 PM

The 3rd photo on "candid travelers photos" shows a bathroom
http://www.tripadvisor.com/LocationP...e_Hotel-New_Yo

Their smallest rooms look very small but the smallest rooms at the Lucerne are too. Have you considered one of the smaller b & b's like wymanhouse.com or countryinnthecity.com? Hard to tell what the prices will be at that time.

Old Aug 17th, 2007, 05:43 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Mclaurie! The bathroom looks fine. I don't expect more than miniature in NYC, but I was nervous that I couldn't find ANY pics!

I'll be there next week, and only for 2 nights, so guess I'll try it. The lucerne rooms are tiny too...and decorated like a grandma's spare bedroom, which is why On the Ave appeals to me. I'll report back after the trip!

The inns you posted look nice, but with 3 night minimum and no elevators, they won't work for me.
Old Aug 17th, 2007, 07:08 PM

I've stayed at On the Ave several times and the bathrooms were one of the nicest things about the room, I thought ;-). Very nicely done for the small space. I quite like the hotel, although it's gotten too expensive for me these days. Great location. I'm not at all familiar with the Lucerne though so can't compare the two.
Old Aug 21st, 2007, 05:17 AM

Just stayed at the Lucerne for a week. It was a great place to stay for our family. I requested a quiet room with a view and ended up in a 5th floor corner room - wall out one window and view across roof tops on the other. It turned out to be a fairly spacious room for the money. I am not sure what rooms they gave you before, but we liked this one pretty well - Rm. 523. It was just a double, not a suite.
Old Aug 21st, 2007, 09:38 AM
Original Poster

I like the Lucrene...but I just wanted to try an alternate. Price, access to the subway, room sizes seeem equal, so now I'll have to report back on the ambiance!

Thanks everyone. I'm off on Thursday. Portland Or, first, then NYC on Saturday night. Hope the weather stays moderate!