Help with NY hotel choice please

May 19th, 2003, 08:31 AM
Original Poster

Help with NY hotel choice please

I am going to New York for Memorial Day weekend and am considering The Lucerne, Parker Meridien and The Marcel Hotel. Any advice or opinions on them (hotels and locations) will be greatly appreciated. We are not going to see any broadway shows, planning to see as many typical tourist sites as possible, ex. Empire State, Statue of Liberty, Central Park, some museums etc. Thank you for the help!
May 19th, 2003, 10:49 AM

I have never stayed at the Lucerne or the Marcel, but I have stayed at the Parker Meridian. It is a very nice hotel and has a pool on one of the top floors. It is conveniently located to the shopping areas of 5th ave and St.Patricks Cathedral(very nice church whatever your religion)You can take cabs anywhere from anywhere in NY. It is a fun town.....good luck!
May 19th, 2003, 11:46 AM

Our families stays at Lucerne when they come town. Very nice for the price, but it's on Upper West Side, more residential than touristy. If you don't mind being away from most tourist sites, then I recommend it (convenient to Central Park & subway but that's about it - must cab/subway to most sights). They have 1-2 rooms on each floor that are significantly smaller than rest,try to avoid these (all NYC hotel rooms are small).
May 19th, 2003, 03:39 PM

Don't know the Marcel or where it's located, but between the Lucerne (where I've stayed) & the Parker Meridien, I'd pick the Parker M for location (near Central Park, in midtown) and the pool. The Lucerne is very nice (lots of marble-lobby, bathrooms)but I had one of the very small rooms that jman mentions. Not only was it small, it was pretty dark facing an interior courtyard. It was fine for 1 night but I think the Parker Meridien will feel more New Yorky. Have a great trip.
May 21st, 2003, 03:44 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for the help! I am looking forward to a great time!
May 21st, 2003, 04:49 AM

Cozz -- if you're still around the Parker Meridien also has a restaurant that is supposed to have one of the best breakfasts/brunches in town -- Norma's. Be sure to check it out.