NYC: JFK to 3-line via public transport

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8th, 2005, 06:19 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have some friends coming in to JFK next week from overseas and could use some _detailed_ directions for getting from JFK to the 3-line subway at New Lots Ave. I have never flown into or out of JFK (only EWR and LGA) so I don't know the details.

I think they're coming on Delta, which should be terminal 3, but, as I said, are arriving internationally. Does anyone know if this is still the same terminal? I know they need the B15 bus, but I've read some things that say this is only at terminal 4 and others which say it's at all terminals. Can anyone verify which is correct? Also, does anyone know if there is a place to purchase a Metrocard at the airport? Also, how easy is it to see where you get off for the 3? (The AirTrain won't work, well not conviently, as they really need the R, which would require a transfer from the A to the F and then a "many-stairs" transfer to the R.)

Thanks,
Paul
Old Apr 8th, 2005, 10:46 AM

It would be very helpful if you can tell us your friends actual destination. With that info we could give you a number of options. You mention "friends"--how many are traveling? Is a taxi not an option?
Old Apr 8th, 2005, 01:25 PM
Original Poster

Their final destination is S Park Slope close to the Propect Ave subway station (18th St and 5th Ave). There's only 2 of them. While they could take a taxi, I think they'd rather save the ~$40 (which is what the car service I looked into wanted and is what I've been told a taxi would be from a friend who has taken a cab to somewhat nearby.) The friends are only grad students, so saving a bit helps.

Paul
Old Apr 8th, 2005, 01:52 PM

I believe Delta has it's own international area within its terminal.

As far as I can tell, the B15 bus route ends at the New Lots stop of the 3-train, which is the last stop for the train, so it shouldn't be tricky to figure out where the train is. The train is probably elevated there. From my map, which is a few years old, it looks like the B15 loops through the entire airport. It looks like the B15 route might not be particularly direct. This may be the cheapest but will be the far from quickest way to get there. Then they'll transfer to the R at Atlantic? It is a lengthy transfer.

I'll trust your information that a cab would cost $40. It costs $45 to go all the way into Manhattan, but taxis have a good chance of finding another fare in Manhattan.

Once they've done this trip in one direction, they may opt for the cab on their return.

I don't know about MetroCard purchases within the airport. Sorry...
Old Apr 9th, 2005, 08:16 AM

According to the JFK transport website, the B15 is at terminal 4 but can be accessed from other terminals for FREE via the AirTrain. Here's the website

http://www.panynj.gov/aviation/jgtsfram.htm

Another option would be to take a cab to the New Lots Ave. subway stop. I'd guess it wouldn't be more than $10 but they'd need detailed directions b/c the drivers might not know the way. I'd also ask the question from those more familiar with Brooklyn than I, what that area is like regardless of which option they choose.

I'd also say a lot depends on time of day and day of week as to whether this cost saving journey is worth the trouble.