Search

Late arrival in NYC

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8th, 2003, 08:46 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Late arrival in NYC

I'll be arrving in JFK on a late night flight in early September (mid-week). By the time the plane lands and I get my luggage, it'll be at least 1am. I'll be staying in midtown and am wondering how much it is to take a shuttle. Is the subway to risky to take at this time? With hotel prices so high, would it make any sense to string out the transport to midtown to early morning and try for an early check-in (if possible) of 7 or 8am?
Old Aug 8th, 2003, 08:51 AM

A taxi will cost around $35. At 1 a.m., IMO, there is no other way to get there.
Old Aug 8th, 2003, 08:55 AM

A previous mayor of NYC was very pro car and anti public transport. The road system to JFK is good but does get very overcrowded at times. You will not be affected at 1am. But due to the mamouth road system it is now just about impossible (well very expensive) for them to install a proper subway that will connect JFK to Manhatten. So you have to take a taxi. Period! The subway in NYC is fine these days (ie, it is safe) but it does not go the whole way to the airport.

Trying to use public transport to get from JFK to Manhatten is about as economical as breeding a horse and riding it there.
Old Aug 8th, 2003, 09:00 AM

I wouldn't take the subway that late from the airport. The subways don't run very often in the middle of the night, so you might have a long wait for the train. I would take a train in Manhattan that late, but not thru Brooklyn. It can be kinda seedy that time in the morning.

The NY Airport Service buses do not run at that time.

Your only options may be a taxi, car service, or perhaps the Supershuttle (if they run at this time).

I would not stay overnight near JFK. The airport is so big that the closest hotel is more than 10 minutes away, so you'd still have to take a cab to get there and then another cab in the morning.
Old Aug 8th, 2003, 09:03 AM

I agree with the others that the taxi is your best option. I would not recommedn the subway at night. Below is a link to transporation options to/from JFK.

http://panynj.gov/aviation/jgtsmain.htm
Old Aug 8th, 2003, 10:43 AM
Yev

I agree that taxi is the best option, BUT the subway is an option. There is a subway station, to which a 5 minute free airport shuttle ride will take you. As far as being safe, yes the subways are quite safe even at 1 AM, and even if you take the subway it will take you at most 2 hours, unless you plan to try to find long ways.
Old Aug 8th, 2003, 11:00 AM
GoTravel

I cannot see dragging your luggage on a subway at 1AM.

Old Aug 8th, 2003, 11:22 AM

At 1am definitely take a taxi!!
The A train which is the closest train to JFK goes through some seedy parts of Brooklyn and at best would take you 2 hours to get into midtown. Aside of the fact that taking the A train with luggage almost screams "tourist". I believe the Super Shuttle runs 24 hours and costs about $15-20. Their website is www.supershuttle.com
Old Aug 8th, 2003, 11:31 AM

Without a doubt I would take a taxi. It's $35 plus tip and tolls.
Old Aug 9th, 2003, 11:43 AM

I'm one of those who are always telling people to take bus/train/subway.

This time, I'm for a taxi, or shuttle.

At 1am, you're STILL going to take too long to get to your bed, if you use public transit. Do any JFK area hotels have free and reliable shuttle at that hour? I doubt your safety is a concern, just having to be up (awake) half the night. Re-reading your post, it appears you do not have lodging reserved for the night you are arriving. I would stay at a hostel (and have, at HI/AYH 103rd/Amsterdam) before I'd wait around the airport all night to get to a hotel early in the AM ... what are those sleepless hours worth to you?