COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

NYC Itinerary help please

Old Sep 10th, 2006, 03:13 PM
Original Poster

NYC Itinerary help please

We will be spending 5 nights in NYC starting September 17, 2006. What do you think of this tentative itinerary? We have no restaurant plans yet - can you suggest something that would be close to whatever we're doing? Our idea is that we will head out early each morning to do something, rest back at the hotel in the late afternoon and then head out again for the evening.

Day One (Sunday): arrive NYC late afternoon; we're staying in Midtown; have tickets to Yankees game in the evening

Day Two (Monday): Guggenheim Museum; explore Greenwich Village/Soho (take the subway presumably); evening theater (this will be a Monday so our options could be limited)

Day Three (Tuesday): MET; Frick; explore Central Park; have tickets for evening concert at Lincoln Center; Rainbow Room for drinks

Day Four (Wednesday): explore Brooklyn's Prospect Park and art museum; get tickets for evening theater

Day Five (Thursday): MOMA; have tickets for evening concert at Carnegie Hall

Day Six (Friday): depart early for home
Old Sep 10th, 2006, 03:41 PM

I would suggestyou get shw tickets right now tohave the best chances at good seats (discount) or getting anything at all (hits). Go to broadwaybox.com to see who is discounting and then use the discounts on the regularweb sites of the shows. This will also prevent wasting time standing on line at the TKTS booth when you're here.
Old Sep 10th, 2006, 05:08 PM

I would move the Guggenheim to Day 3 - it's very close to the Met and the Frick. If you're staying in midtown, those three museums are all uptown from your hotel; the Village and Soho are downtown.
Old Sep 10th, 2006, 05:54 PM

You are going to visit the Metropolitan Museum of Art and the Frick Collection on the same day? Are you nuts? You are going to go into an art coma. Believe me, you could spend a week in the Met and still not see everything.

In my opinion, you are doing too many art museums for a six-day trip. Cut out the museums in Brooklyn; move your time at the Frick to another day.

There is so much to see in Manhattan. You can't possibly see it all in six days, so slow down.

Christine
Old Sep 10th, 2006, 05:57 PM

I wouldn't move Guggenheim - Two art museums seems a lot for one day, but a third sounds like waaaaay overkill. No problem hitting the Guggeheim in the morning then taking the subway (very, very safe in case you had any inhibitions) to Greenwich Village for the rest of the day.

You've got a fair bit of downtime in your schedule, but that's OK. There's so much to do, just have some other ideas of things to do that you can add in when you have time between scheduled activities.

I'll suggest playbill.com as another option for looking into discount theater tickets in advance (and I'll agree that buying at least some of them now would be good).

Old Sep 10th, 2006, 06:30 PM

Day 3 is a bit ambitious!

But, surely you'll be adjusting everyday anyway for timing and the weather.
Old Sep 11th, 2006, 07:03 AM

Are you staying on the west or east of midtown? Definitely take the subway to the Yankees game. It's the fastest route.

The Frick is one of my favorite museums! I highly recommend Via Quadronno for lunch. It is on 73rd just between 5th and Madison (closest to Madison). Fantastic authentic paninis and gelato. I promise it won't disappoint. Plus, it will be a good way to rest your feet. The Day 3 plan is ambitious but doable.

Are you sure you want to have a concert or show every night? I would skip one of them and spend the time getting drinks and dinner and wandering a neighborhood.

Lincoln Center and the Rainbow Room aren't terribly far apart, but aren't exactly close either. I would have the drink at the Rainbow Room (which I highly recommend by the way! amazing views.) on the night to go to the theater.

Unless you have a particular desire to see Brooklyn, I would scrap that part of the plan. Walk across the Brooklyn Bridge and wander through Brooklyn Heights instead.

Have you been to New York before? If not, consider walking down 5th Avenue, checking out St. Patrick's Cathedral, Rockefellar Center, Grand Central, etc.

Also, Chinatown and Little Italy are fun too. If you go, eat at one of the Asian restaurants. The Italian restaurants are all tourist traps and terrible!

Check out www.nymetro.com for restaurant recommendations.

Old Sep 11th, 2006, 09:18 AM

Overall, this sounds great! A nice balance of sightseeing and relaxation, I think. The weather here has been great for the last two days, so we'll cross our fingers for you.

I don't know that I would scrap Brooklyn- you are clearly art lovers, so the Brooklyn Museum would be a great stop for you. However, I would go ahead and make a day of it. Perhaps combine this with a trip to the Botanic Gardens? www.bbg.org

I agree with the above poster about walking over the bridge- a true highlight! Perhaps it's worth skipping a show that night to do so? You can take the 2/3 train from Park Slope to Brooklyn Heights (Clark St. stop), wander through the neighborhood (including the gorgeous promenade!), grab a bite to eat and head over the bridge in the evening.

If you get an early start, however, you should certainly be able to combine the Brooklyn Museum with a walk over the bridge in time to make an 8:00 show.

For show tickets on the other evenings, visit SeasonofSavings.com. This is a discount program (Broadway and Off-Broadway) that happens in the fall and winter, and there are great tickets to several good shows. You should definitely get your tickets ahead of time- no need to waste valuable hours standing in the ticket line.

Your choices will indeed be limited on Monday, however- Phantom of the Opera and Rent are your Broadway musical options. There may be several Off-Broadway choices as well. Perhaps you would enjoy the revival of "Jacques Brel is Alive & Well and Living in Paris?"
Old Sep 11th, 2006, 09:33 AM

Since your schedule is so packed, I'd suggest you skip the Guggenheim (or at least simply look at the building, take a quick look around the lobby, which is infinitely more interesting than the art inside) and do something else on that day instead. Unlike many museums in NYC, MOMA is open on Mondays, so I'd suggest you do that, and then move your visit to the Frick or the Met to Thursday morning.
Old Sep 11th, 2006, 04:00 PM
Original Poster

I sincerely thank you all for your thoughtful responses. Based on everyone's comments and bearing in mind we are art lovers, here's my revised itinerary.

Day One - Yankees game in the evening

Day Two (Monday) - as suggested by Doug Stallings, as the MOMA is open Mondays, how about that for a few hours in the morning, rest back at the hotel in the afternoon, head to Soho and Greenwich for dinner and a stroll in the evening? This happens to be my birthday so hopefully find a very expensive, romantic restaurant!

Day Three (Tuesday): Walk 5th Avenue taking a look at St. Patrick's Cathedral, Rockefeller Center (Rainbow Room), Grand Central Station - anything else along here? We have tickets to see I. Perlman at Lincoln Center in the evening.

Day Four (Wednesday): walk Brooklyn Bridge, visit the Brooklyn Museum, Botanical Gardens, Park Slope, Brooklyn Heights - in what order?? We were thinking of theater on this evening but perhaps that's too ambitious?

Day Five (Thursday): Frick first, then the Met. Lunch at Via Quadronno. Brief visit to the Guggenheim. Tickets to concert at Carnegie Hall this evening.

Day Six (Friday): fly home
Old Sep 11th, 2006, 04:12 PM

Member "handmaiden" said it best, yesterday: "You are going to visit the Metropolitan Museum of Art and the Frick Collection on the same day? Are you nuts?"

And now you have added the Guggenhism on the same day. The Met is a museum that could take a week or more to explore. As art lovers, you shouldn't be leaving the main art museums (except MOMA) ALL For the last day.
Old Sep 11th, 2006, 04:22 PM

My first thought to your revised itinerary is that if you expect to find a "very expensive, romantic restaurant" while walking around the village and just go eat there, I think you'll be very, very disappointed. This type of restaurant typically requires reservations, often a month in advance. I'd highly recommend doing some research at www.menupages.com and seeing if there's anyplace that suits you that you can still get a reservation. Since you're going next week, that might be a tough call, but I'm sure that there will be something decent available, even if it's not your first choice.
Old Sep 11th, 2006, 04:33 PM
Original Poster

OK, so as not to be considered nuts (not the first time!) we could replace the Tuesday stroll up 5th Avenue with the Metropolitan Museum of Art and do the Frick on the Thursday (with a quick look at the Guggenheim building). I'll start looking into restaurants now for Monday evening. Many thanks!
Old Sep 12th, 2006, 05:33 AM

It's pretty late to get a reservation at a good NYC restaurant, even for a Monday. However, I would recmmend you at least take a shot at Union Square Cafe, a favorite of New Yorkers. Sometimes you can luck out. One If By Land, Two If By Sea is also a tried-and true romantic restaurant in the Village, though you're definitely paying for atmosphere more than quality cuisine.
Old Sep 12th, 2006, 05:46 AM

I just wanted to say two things:

The first is that it is known to rain in NYC, and while I realize you need to balance theater reservations and museum opening hours, you have to be prepared to rearrange your schedule if you get rain.

The other is that the Guggenheim Museum is fundamentally a space for changing exhibitions. Check out their website to decide if you are interested in the current shows.
Old Sep 12th, 2006, 06:26 AM

For your Brooklyn day:

You will want to begin in Park Slope, as both the museum and the botanic gardens are there. The Gardens open 2 hours before the museum (at 8AM), so depending on when you get to Brooklyn you may want to begin there. The order doesn't really matter, however, as they're very close together.

From there, take the 2,3 train to Clark St. in Brooklyn Heights, where you can explore the neighborhood, the promenade, etc. and then head over the Brooklyn Bridge.

I don't know that this is too ambitious, but it really depends on two things: a) what time you begin your day, and b) how long you want to linger in the museum.

It only takes about 30 minutes to walk over the bridge, so you can certainly make an 8:00 show if you begin your day early.