Search

NYC ITINERARY HELP

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20th, 2012, 08:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NYC ITINERARY HELP

Trying to put a few days together... would appreciate feedback!

Mom and 11yr old son.

Arriving Thursday, 10:30 am

Hop on/hop off bus to get a feel for city.
Do the two hour tour.

Explore Lower Manhattan
WTC - have tix for 4pm
Staten Island Ferry
Brooklyn Bridge
Fed Hall Building

Friday (only full day)
Explore Midtown
Times Square (visitors center)
TOTR
FAO Swartz
Nintendo World
NY Public Library
Central Park Zoo
Blue Man Group at 8pm

Saturday (leaving at 6pm)
Really want to see WICKED, maybe get 2pm matinee here

My questions are:

Thurs/Fri - do I have "attractions" planned right? Is it the best way, to stay in a particular area and do I have those correct?

Saturday, we really have all day, perhaps I should put Central Park Sat am. WICKED 2-4:30ish and then we could grab a bite before we leave.

I'd like to eat at Shake Shack and Ellens Stardust - where is the best place to fit those in?

TIA for ideas/advice!
Old Feb 20th, 2012, 09:02 AM

I would skip the Hop On Bus. It is expensive and you will see many of the places later.

On Thursday you can head to Chinatown where there are many inexpensive places but great spots to eat including Big Wong's (yes that is the real name), NY Noodletown, and a Joe's Shanghai. And be sure to take your son to the Chiantown Ice Cream for delicious store made ice cream.
Old Feb 20th, 2012, 09:08 AM

Late lunch/early dinner at Shake Shack Tribeca (215 Murray Street) on the first day.

Get to the area before 6pm and take a quick look at the handsome Irish Hunger Memorial just across the street. Great view of the river, Ellis Island, and Statue of Liberty from the top. WTC is just across the highway from both SS and the Memorial.

With time, you can take a quick peek at the gorgeous Rockefeller Park a couple of blocks north on the river. The sculptures by Tom Otterness there are fabulous, even for kids!

http://nymag.com/listings/attraction...nger_memorial/

http://www.bpcparks.org/bpcp/parks/parks.php

http://www.tomostudio.com/exhibition...t_landing.html
Old Feb 20th, 2012, 09:12 AM

I agree about hoping off the bus idea.....

Yes, do Chinatown for lunch on the first day, and Shake Shack for dinner if you are set on trying their burgers. Or vice versa.
Old Feb 20th, 2012, 09:24 AM
Original Poster

Probably not going to hit Chinatown.... we have a Chinatown local to us...

I get the advice to skip the bus a lot, however, I really like the bus! It's an easy slow way to see things, a nice way to ease into the city. Expecially with a kid who's never been. Coming up the escalator from Penn Station, into the city, is quite the shock to a small town person!

I do like the ideas from ekscrunchy - never heard of the Irish Hunger Memorial, we will check that out for sure!

Shake Shack in Tribeca will fit in perfect on our first day, Lower Manhattan. I think Ellen's is more in the midtown area anyway, so we can do that Saturday....

Great replies, thank you all!
Old Feb 20th, 2012, 09:27 AM

Agree the bus is a waste of time.

On Sat not sure what you mean by explore Midtown. Midtown is a business/shopping district. There are specific sights to see - ToTR, FAO and whatever Nintendo is - but you don't want to just wander around office buildings. You will see Times Square when you go to whatever show (and when will this happen - you need to get Wicked tickets far in advance) and don;t know what you would do at the visitor's center.

Central Park zoo is fine - but further uptown.

When are you coming to the city. If soon you will need to organize activities based on weather.

Also, Brooklyn Bridge is a fairly long walk, time-consuming and not sure if this is the best use of your very limited time. And if soon, be aware that this is a cold and windy walk.
Old Feb 20th, 2012, 09:36 AM
Original Poster

Another vote against the bus!

Midtown, that is the area that TOTR, FAO, TS are in, correct?
And like you said, CPZ is further uptown, maybe better to do that Saturday am...

BB - I think we will walk only to the halfway point.

We are coming end of April, and yes, I have already started looking at WICKED tix. Very expensive... and it doesn't look like I can get them discounted day of show. If I can't secure them before I go, for whatever reason, we may see Mamma Mia instead.
Old Feb 20th, 2012, 11:02 AM

If you are coming end of April seriously have your son read Peter and the Star Catcher before that (you read it too!) The first volume of this multivolume prequel to Peter Pan (not the version on SyFy) is wonderful.

I saw the last off Broadway performance on Easter Sunday and have been hoping for its return so I can take my great nieces and nephews. Previews start late March and the show opens mid April. Get discount tickets as soon as they show up on Broadway Box.

thestarryeye.typepad.com/explorenyc