NYC Hotels - Giraffe or Muse?

Old Apr 18th, 2007, 02:24 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NYC Hotels - Giraffe or Muse?

Ok, I need to book a hotel pronto for NYC. We are goig for 3 nights for the 1st time, and while we want to do a night at a show (which I know Muse is very convenient for), we also want to play elsewhere in Manhattan (SoHo, little Italy, Central Park, the Met Museum, shopping on 5th, etc.). Basically we want to go everywhere.

But I can't decide on these hotels. The Muse in the heart of the theatre district/Times Square or the Giraffe, in a less touristy area? Both are very close in price. Help?
Old Apr 18th, 2007, 04:04 PM

Muse - more centrally located to the places I'm assuming you want to see. More transportation lines/options to get to other places in the city.
Old Apr 18th, 2007, 04:27 PM
Kealalani

escargot was just at the Girrafe and I was very impressed reading her description of the place. I'll top for you.

Old Apr 18th, 2007, 04:33 PM

http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...1&tid=34983070

that is the link to the report - we were at the Giraffe last weekend, we have stayed there before since it is only a few blocks from my daughters apartment -
this, and the Michelangelo are two of my favorite hotels in the city. The other we also like and will be at this weekend is the W Union Square -

what I like about the Giraffe is it gives you an 'oasis' in the middle of the running around - when you sit in the lobby and enjoy your coffee and read the paper, you coudl be in your living room at home - it's a nice respite if even for 20 minutes

there is not one hotel that is going to have you close to soho, little italy, and central park -
will you use the subway?
will you only take cabs?

are you 'walkers' ?

I don't find the walk to the subway from the Giraffe a problem, but I will walk w/ out giving it a second thought....

Old Apr 18th, 2007, 05:23 PM

here is a good report on the Muse from a frequent poster

http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...1&tid=34865292

also, if you type 'Muse HOtel, NYC" into the search this forum bar, there are several reviews - same if you plug in the Giraffe Hotel -

Old Apr 18th, 2007, 06:25 PM

We were just in new york for the first time last weekend. We stayed at The Muse because we got 199.00 per night in Times Square. It is a great location and a 4* hotel, but nothing to get excited about. The lobby is nothing, wine reception from 5 to 6 very crowded. Concerige(sp) and front desk same. Good enough, but not what you think of for a 4* hotel. I do not know anything about the other.
Old Apr 19th, 2007, 08:35 AM
Original Poster

Thanks guys - I ended up booking the Giraffe - we are definitely walkers and a a few blocks from the subway is just fine. I like the idea of being in a less touristy area, so based on glowing reviews (i dont' think i've seen a really negative review about it) we went with it. Thanks
Old Apr 19th, 2007, 09:13 AM

Great ! Don't forget to let us know how the trip went afterwards !! Have fun-