Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

NYC - hotels, driving, shopping and a 13 year old.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14th, 2003, 12:07 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Planning on an overnight in NYC in mid July. We will be traveling from Upstate to the southern states. A few questions:

Shall we drive to our hotel or would we be better off going to one of those places just north of the city and taking a train in? I really don't mind the driving.

Hotel we are considering is the Belvedere. Can get it for about $129. I'd also like to splurge and stay at the Le Parker Meridian for about $199. We really don't plan on staying in the room much, so might better save the $ to spend on shopping...

Which leads to my next question: Will be husband I and 13 year old daughter. Would love to go shopping but not the usual Gap, etc. Where are some good places for a 13 year old? Macy's and Bloomingdales are on the list. Also, husband would love a place that sells cooking gadgets.

I think I have the other NYC things figured out!

Thanks in advance. Oh, and if you happen to read this Scarlett - I have some faux painting photos I want to send you but lost your email address....
Old Apr 14th, 2003, 12:09 PM
GoTravel

Century 21, Bolton's, Strawberry, H&M, Armani Exchange (A/X), Sephora are a few that come to mind.

I would take the train in. Parking can be upwards of $45 per day at some hotels.

Old Apr 14th, 2003, 01:01 PM

Driving is easy in the city, but parking can be expensive. Check with your hotel as to what nearby parking is available.
Old Apr 14th, 2003, 01:02 PM

For one night it is NOT worth parking outside the city & hassling with transportation back & forth. I would instead factor parking cost in when you pick a hotel. (ie find out if the hotel has a garage or a deal with a neighboring garage for a special rate.) Your rate at the Parker Meridien sounds high. Have you checked quikbooks.com? I think the Belvedere is fine too. Another option is to bid on priceline.com. Check out BetterBidding.com for advise.

There's a great kitchen shop called Bridge kitchen on east 52nd st. Their website is http://www.bridgekitchenware.com/home.cfm

GoTravel has given you good shopping advise. Also, both macy's & Bloomingdale's have good teen depts. in addition to cooking depts. (Bridge is cheaper I think).
Old Apr 14th, 2003, 01:55 PM

I agree -- drive into the city and park your car someplace while you are here, use taxis and public transportation and walking -- but I would absolutely not wste the time involved in parking outside the city and travellng in. I doubt you'd even save much money.
Old Apr 14th, 2003, 01:56 PM

Austin:I would DEFINETLY NOT park outside and take a train in, especially for one night. Remember, it's not FREE to come in and out of NYC; most train tickets, no matter where you are coming from, cost about $9-$10 round trip, so for 3 people, that's already $ 27 -$30 just for taking the train back and forth to where ever you are parking - and that's NOT including parking fees. I don't know why anyone would ever consider doing that. It just doesn't make any sense.

My advice is to drive in, but not use hotel parking. If you want to look for an inexpensive parking garage in Manhattan, one of the city's larger parking lot & garage Co. has their own website:

www.iconparking.com

You can use their website to find reasonable overnight parking right in Manhattan - YES, you can find reasonable parking in Manhattan.

Also, if you are staying in the Times Square area, there is a garage next to the Virgina Theater @ 245 W. 52 St
The fees $19 are before taxes for 24 hrs. At those prices, it makes no sense for tourists who are driving to NYC to park outside Manhattan and take a train in, thinking they will save money.

Old Apr 14th, 2003, 02:11 PM
GoTravel

I'll have to brush up on my reading comprehension skills. Agree for one night it would not be worth it to park and take the train in.

Old Apr 15th, 2003, 04:51 AM
Original Poster

Thanks! Part of our adventure then will be the driving in NYC. Haven't done it since 1979!

Anyone have any comments on the Belvedere or maybe suggest another similarly priced/location?
Old Apr 15th, 2003, 05:17 AM

The Essex House is offering a summer rate of $189. It's just across from Central Park & close to everything.

Soho would be fun for your daughter & the Bowery area has all sorts of cooking supplies.

Old Apr 15th, 2003, 05:35 AM

For the 13 year old I would suggest shopping in Urban Outfitters and Diesle, both across the street from Bloomingdales, and Abercrombie & Fitch in the South Street Seaport.
Old Apr 15th, 2003, 06:02 AM

Austin,

I just did a fast search for you on quikbook.com (NOT quikbookS as I previously posted.) Picked an arbitrary date in May. The best overall deal I found was the Gorham Hotel at 55th between 5 & 6Th ave. The rate was $125 for either a king bed (I guess with roll away cot) OR 2 queens. If shopping is your primary goal for the day, this is a better location than the Belvedere which would be fine for the theater. It says the Gorham has both on site and off site parking. IMO it's a great location-right near 5th Ave shops (Saks, H & M, Rockefeller Center)