NYC - Hotel / Parking

Feb 19th, 2011, 05:22 PM
Original Poster

NYC - Hotel / Parking

Hi - My husband & I from Australia are travelling to the USA In Oct for a month (our 6th trip..we love it!) - travelling in a hire car through Miami up to New York where we'll spend a couple of nights. We thought rather than take the car up to Niagara Falls - it would be less hassle if we left the car in NY & did an overnight tour to Niagara Falls & let them do all the work The problem we have is...where to stay in NYC as the parking rate ranges from $20-40 for a 24 hr period. We don't mind catching the subway etc - would we be better off staying out of NYC a bit & catching the subway/train in & the parking would probably be zero AND the rooms a lot cheaper? BUT...where to stay is the problem as we don't know the area. We would appreciate any help you guys can give please?
Feb 19th, 2011, 05:34 PM
J62

Parking outside the city and commuting in is a a big pain. If your plan is to visit NY then you should stay in NY.

Can you simply return the car when you arrive in NYC? No need to pay for both rental and parking when you won't be using the car. All of the major rental car co's have rental offices all over town.

If you need a car when you leave town you can start a new rental.

It's about an 7-8hr drive from NYC to Niagara Falls - that's a long way for just an overnight.
Feb 19th, 2011, 06:12 PM

It sounds like you haven't been to NYC before: you will bitterly regret not staying in the city, and you definitely don't need (nor will you want to deal with the hassle of) a car while there. J26 has great advice: drop the car upon arrival and rent another on your way out of town, if you need one.

This board has lots of good threads on NYC hotels in various locations around the city, depending on what you're looking for, how long you'll be staying, etc.
Feb 19th, 2011, 10:54 PM

will you be driving the car back to Miami? If so, dropping off the car and getting a new one a few days later might kill you with one-way rental fees.
Feb 20th, 2011, 05:45 AM

Where are you taking the car after NYC? If this is the end of the trip just drop it. If you're staying in NYC for several days and then taking a tour to Niagara Falls (more about this later) then moving on - drop this car upon arrival in NYC and then pick up another when you leave.

If you really want to keep the car while in NYC there is one hotel in Manhattan that has free parking - the Travel Inn on the far west side. (Although I would think the $40 per night for parking would be nothing compared to the cost of a rental for 5 or 6 days you aren;t using the car).

Your idea for staying a "little" outside the city and taking the subway in won;t work. Parking is difficult almost everyplace in NYC unless you have a driveway or a garage. There are many more cars than places to park them. Main streets have parking meters in almost all areas, cars can't be parked in one place for many days due to the street cleaning rules (requires moving every car at specific times during the day twice a week) and some places if you leave a car parked in one place for days you will return to find it either stripped or gone.

There are hotels right outside the city with easy access - some in Jersey City, but the prices aren;t much less and you still have to pay to park in most - or in Long Island City - not such a pleasant area and street parking is not always available.

For a true New York experience you should stay in Manhattan - so you can step out the door and be somewhere - not have a 30 minute to an hour trip to start and end every day. The atmosphere is completely different from anyplace else in the world and having to trek back to the suburbs everynight will make you miss out on a lot of evening activities - or have you waiting fro trains etc at midnight.

As for Niagara Falls, many ex-US visitor seem to want to see this - and frankly it;s a very long trip to see some water falling downhill. I'm a native and didn't see it until in my 40's we took a road trip to Toronto. It is pretty and mildly interesting - but IMHO taking a tour with 2 very long days on the bus (at least 8 hours plus the time to get into Canada - where most of the good views and stuff are) just to see falling water makes no sense, If you really want to see this fly from NYC to Buffalo and either rent a car or get a shuttle or car service to take you into Canada. If you fly up early one day and fly back late the next you will actually have some time there to see everything - including Niagara on the Lake, which is very pretty, without wasting 2 whole days sitting in a bus.
Feb 20th, 2011, 06:08 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your comments... I kinda knew on the staying in the Manhattan area I think - bit like when we went to New Orleans & stayed in the "French Quarter" & Grand Canyon - staying on the rim ..heaps more expensive but the only way to do it The first thing I checked out was the one way drop off - before I even booked the air fares as we would of preferred to fly into Miami & out of NYC or vice versa - $AUD3000.00 to have a one way hire... to drop the car off in NYC & hire another one..or to pick it up in Miami & drop off in NYC so we are now flying into Miami - doing a week cruise - pick up the car & drive to NYC & back to Miami in 3.5 weeks. Plenty of time for us - we are used to doing big trips in Oz! I hear what your saying nytraveler re Niagara Falls but I find lots of famous sites are like this but I still wish to see them...Grand Canyon I was glad I went but you only need to go once as is our overrated Uluru (Ayers Rock). I'm sure Niagara Falls comes into that category but still..whilst we are there I might check out the Travel Inn too so thanks for all your advice & if anyone has any more - please keep it coming!
Feb 20th, 2011, 06:19 AM

I've visited New York both ways - staying outside while commuting in, and staying in Manhattan. Since you are visiting from out of the US & don't know when you'll be back, it would really enhance your visit if you stay in New York, specifically in Manhattan. If you do choose to stay outside of Manhattan, two options I've used are Jersey City in New Jersey, which has access to Manhattan via the NJ Path trains, and Long Island City, which is in NYC but not in Manhattan, but rather in Queens. It has a very convenient subway connection.

But the posters above are right, you will really enjoy your stay more if you lodge in Manhattan. Do you need the car after New York? If not, you could just end the rental when you arrive in NYC.

As far as Niagara goes, it is a very long bus ride & the idea of flying to Buffalo would be worth checking out. I have visited the falls once, and found it quite spectacular. If you go, you should try to visit both sides - the more majestic Canadian falls which you can only view from above or by boat, and the smaller American falls which you can literally walk right up to.
Feb 20th, 2011, 06:46 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your input I am pleased to say that I have a booking at the Travel Inn for USD$225.00 a night that includes parking - the other tentative booking I had was for $230 a night & then $40.00 a night parking fee so thanks for that ny traveler as I would never have found that one!!! I will still try the Price-line option again closer to the date - not that I've had much luck with that previously....how long before the required date can you try to book on Price-line? The tour that we were considering does both the Canadian & the American side of Niagara Falls as many Aussies have told us that the Canadian side is the best
Feb 21st, 2011, 04:48 AM

I use priceline often for New York, usually with the end result being a rate about 50% of the lowest internet rate available. Sometimes it can be as low as 40%. You can do it well in advance, but in my experience it's somewhat unusual to see people hitting on priceline more than 6 months out. I usually do it somewhere between a week and a month before the date I am going. That said, October is a very busy month in NY, and it can be hard to get a bargain at that time of year, though last November I got a rate of about $120 at the Hilton NY on a weeknight, which was much better than I expected to do. If you haven't done it already, going to the websites BetterBidding.com or BiddingForTravel.com can be very helpful in terms of bidding on priceline.
Feb 21st, 2011, 05:02 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the Price-line info - Is October always a busy month in NY or is there something special on this year?
Feb 21st, 2011, 08:14 AM

Yes, the fall is always a busy time for New York, and it stays that way leading up to Christmas. It's a nice time to visit, and I'm sure you'll enjoy it.
Feb 21st, 2011, 10:37 AM

October is the start of our busiest tourist season - which culminates between Thanksgiving and Christmas. Jan/Feb are the lowest seasons and July/Aug are not to busy due to heat/humidity and locals on vacation and beach or country at weekends.

My favorite months are May (good weather/moderate prices) and October (weather the same but prices a lot higher)
Feb 22nd, 2011, 04:24 AM
Original Poster

Thanks - just looking at location - which has the better location according to you "locals" ....the Newton Hotel or The Travel Inn?
Feb 22nd, 2011, 05:16 AM

The two hotels are in very different neighborhoods, each with its pros and cons.

The Travel Inn is in a busy part of midtown quite close to Times Square and also close to the Lincoln Tunnel for easy arriving and departing by car. Times Square has excellent public transportation connections to other parts of the city. Some might find the area too noisy and busy with traffic and crowds of people.

The Newton Hotel is in a residential neighborhood on the Upper West Side, close to the northern end of Central Park. There are two good subway stations nearby that give access to most of Manhattan. This neighborhood will give a real sense of living in Manhattan, but perhaps not the excitement of midtown that visitors may be seeking.

You get to decide which is better based on your interests.
Feb 22nd, 2011, 05:25 AM

NYC gets over 45 million visitors a year, there is always something going on in the city. The cultural calender is full in the winter, even though Jan and Feb are the slowest tourist months.

Every guide book in Asutralia, including the ones for England, must make Niagara Falls attractive. While the Falls are engaging, it is not worth the time on a first trip.
Feb 22nd, 2011, 10:56 AM

The area the Newton is in is actually more convenient to the subway than the Travel Inn - but you will hae to garage the car. Be arare that the area is mid/upcale residentaila nd garges tend to be full at night. I fyou dump the car for several days you should have no problem - but do reserve a garage space in advance - either through the hotel or through iconparking.com. Street parking in the area is NOT possible.

The Newton was redone a couple of years ago and is fairly simple but relaible. The area has a ton of budget/moderte restaurants of every possible ethnicity, many with sidewalk cafes, you are 3 block from Cenral Park and a walk or an esy bus ride to most of the major museums (which line either the est or west side of the park). If you hop the Broadway express you will be in Times Square in aobut 8 minutes, and have esy access to all other major tourist areas.

If you decide on the Newton drive north on the west side highway when you hit Manhattan and get off at 95th St. It's only a couple of blocks to the hotel but you will have to cicle to drop off bgs and then park (in Manhattan amost all streets and many aveneues are one way).
Feb 23rd, 2011, 05:05 AM
Original Poster

Great thanks all of you for that information. The Newton has offered us parking at $27 a day & although the Travel Inn parking is free - the Newton has said that we can leave the car in their parking whilst we visit Niagara Falls - a trip my husband is quite insistent on doing - I don't blame him - we won't ever be back that way again so why not The total cost is slightly cheaper at the Newton $207 incl parking compared to $225 at the Travel Inn.
We like the idea of a ton of budget/moderate restaurants of every possible ethnicity, many with sidewalk cafes (Travel Inn hasn't got much in that way according to other sites?) you are 3 block from Central Park and a walk or an easy bus ride to most of the major museums (which line either the est or west side of the park). A 3 block walk sounds perfect & whilst noise/traffic & crowds of people normally would be OK to us - I don't think we can even imagine the concept of all those people when our total population is only 22 million So...once again you have helped me heaps & I thank you!

Now - I need to hop on a Miami site & see what recommendations people can help me with for the night we fly into Miami (after a 20 hr flight...can't wait) for 2 nights before we board our cruise ship. must be somewhere there that provides airport & cruise dock transport
Feb 23rd, 2011, 05:12 AM

Haven't read every single word on this thread but would like to say you should FLY to Buffalo, NY to see Niagara Falls. A tour will cost a lot unnecessarily and going by bus to Niagara Falls is honestly a waste of time. The bus tours will stop in Corning at the glass factory only to give you something to do. There are tours that include airfare but they don't guarantee flying to Buffalo. Some fly to Rochester which is cheaper but further from the falls and makes for a longer bus ride. If you're not going to fly, I honestly think you should drive yourselves given you'll have a car.

As for hotel and parking, you can easily park the car outside of Manhattan at the Metropark in Iselin, NJ and take the train into Manhattan from there. Or closer to NYC, there's $10/day parking at the Port Imperial ferry terminal in Weehawken, NJ owned by nywaterway.com http://nywaterway.com/PortImperialWe...nTerminal.aspx

Even if you stay at the Travel Inn, you won't be able to leave the car there while you go off to Niagara Falls. Another option for the car is finding your own parking near whatever hotel you pick using bestparking.com That will always be cheaper than using the hotel's valet parking.
Feb 23rd, 2011, 05:14 AM

To look at airfare from NYC to Buffalo (or anywhere else) I like kayak.com They also have a good search engine for hotels.