Rental Car or form of transportation in NYC

Jan 6th, 2003, 09:52 AM
Trish

Rental Car or form of transportation in NYC

I have seen similiar questions about this but, not exactly. I am renting a car in Newark for $393.00 for two weeks(complete price). We are driving one week up to New England states and plan to spend the other week in NYC. I know I don't need a rental car in NYC so, I'm considering turning it in after we get back from the NEw England adventure which would split the cost of the $393.00. I have noticed other questions about the cost coming from Newark in taxis etc. realized that it would almost be the same cost as the other week of the rental car
My question is should I just keep the rental car in Manhatten or would it be more of a problem than it's worth? I would appreciate any help on this . Thankyou

Jan 6th, 2003, 10:06 AM
suzanne

It would be more of a problem than it's worth. Remember, you have to PAY to park anywhere in Manhattan, and in touristy areas it can be very expensive. Once my Mom & Dad came down for a show and parked in the theater district...it cost them $50 for less than 1 day.

Drop off the car at the airport. Most of the rental agencies have free shuttles to the AirTrain, which for $11.55 per person will take you into Midtown Manhattan faster than a taxi.

Jan 6th, 2003, 10:11 AM
Howard

I would rent the car just for the week in New England, then drop off the family in NYC and take the car back to the rental place in Newark. Then, since you have no luggage, I'd take a bus back to the city from the airport.
Before you change your car reservation, check on the price. It might be more than half of the $393 rate.
It's silly to take the car into the city, where parking would cost at least $25 a day in the midtown area. (The cost to get back to the airport--Newark, I assume--would be less, a lot less, than what you'd have to pay to park the car for a week.)

Jan 6th, 2003, 10:13 AM
ryan

Don't take the car for a week into NYC. You won't need it and parking will be a fortune. A cab into NY from Newark airport will be about $55+. (There are several options, bus, train, etc. that are cheaper.)

The previous post is correct about the cost of parking. For a week, it will be significanlty more than the cost of a cab and the car. When I head into the office on the weekends, it's not unusual to spend $20 for just a few hours (and that's downtown on a Sunday!.)

Jan 6th, 2003, 10:27 AM
Howard

$50 for a few hours' parking? No way...not even in NYC!

Jan 6th, 2003, 10:31 AM
jason

Definitely send the car back while in NYC. A nice hotel will charge you about 45 per day to store the car and that is without in and out priveleges (although some allow it). Parking in Manhattan is about as close to getting butt raped as it gets (ask xx or xyz). Plus, driving in NYC will give you an aneurism. I'd cab it all the way.

Jan 6th, 2003, 12:51 PM
GOL

I do like to have a car with me wherever I go.. NYC is hard to have one, though, and the concensus is ditch the auto.. Here is a 'weak' attempt at an alternative, but one I would personally pursue if I was in your shoes (only because I love to have a car with me)

***HOWEVER - if you can get your hotel to pick up the parking (you may have to ask), I'd keep it. [If the hotel won't, then I agree, it could be expensive] One week is a good amount of time in NYC, but the car affords you one more way to get around the (non-Manhattan) Metropolitian area. For example, if you go to the zoo or aquarium, it may be easier to drive than cab / public transportation. Inter-city/area (not intra) transportation is lousy. If, say, you want to head across the river to Jersey for shopping (outlets) or to the Hamptons or whatever, there really isn't a perfect way to manage unless the place is on a rail or bus line.

Can you return your car to a Manhattan location? Maybe you can 'keep' it there just in case you want it?

Weak Case over.. LOL.. Have fun

Jan 6th, 2003, 12:56 PM
junebug

Howard, it's true, I stupidly paid $50 for parking once in Manhattan. SO and I decided to make an afternoon stop at the Met before going upstate on a Saturday, and we used an underground lot about 2 blocks from the museum. The car was there for about 4 hours and it was $50. SO nearly had a stroke so I paid it myself to end the hysteria.. but I learned that lesson the hard way. Such a horrible rip-off, you truly pay for the convenience of it.

Jan 6th, 2003, 12:58 PM
x

Bag the car in the city. I can't think of a bigger pain in the butt than having to deal with a car in Manhattan.

Jan 6th, 2003, 01:32 PM
s

I agree with every other poster. You don't need the car in NYc. Howard's suggestion is the best. When you return from NE drop your family off at the hotel. Drive the car to NJ and return. You can return to the city by bus or traain at a cost of arouind $11