Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

NYC Hotel: Have you used Expedia or Hotwire?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20th, 2009, 04:27 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know the city is expensive. Am looking to book last week in May. Has anyone used one of the discount sites to book a hotel? Any suggestions in midtown, times square or other safe area? Thank You.

Old Jan 20th, 2009, 04:33 PM

Used Expedia many times and love them!
Mid town, I have stayed at the Benjamin hotel and had a great stay.
I have used Hotwire but no guarantee on the hotel you want..you pick the area and its a crapshoot.
If anything, I like Expedia to gauge what things will cost and photos of the hotel and I also go direct too.
Old Jan 21st, 2009, 09:49 AM

For NYC, Priceline would be my first choice. But, you do have to do your homework. See www.betterbidding.com and www.biddingfortravel.com

I've also had good luck with Hotwire.

It's been a long time since I've seen rates on Expedia more favorable than booking directly with the hotel, whereupon you don't have to prepay and can cancel with no fee if you find a better option.

Best bet is to shop like the dickens and book something. Then, keep shopping.

If you want to know where you're staying before booking, have a look at Quikbook and keep an eye on TravelZoo for specials.
Old Jan 21st, 2009, 09:56 AM

Any are of Manhattan with hotels is safe.

Picking an area is more a matter of what general ambiance you want (Times Square is incredibly noisyand frantic, downtown is more trendy, upper west side is mid/upscale residential). If you're willing to risk letting them pick, the best deals are usually Priceline - but you MUST know what you're doing - and it's good only for 2 people per room.

At the moment there are a lot of good deal on travelzoo - and also some of the hotel web sites.
Old Jan 21st, 2009, 10:46 AM

Agree with everything written above but think unless you're prepared to pay upfront and agree to no cancellation (which is what both Hotwire and Priceline require and often the case with Expedia and other similar sites) I think it's too early to find deals for late May.

Quikbook.com can be very good for NYC and often has "book now, pay later" rates, but maybe not the cheapest for late May. I'd go there and see if anything interests you and book something cancelable and wait to see what sales may turn up on travelzoo. What exactly do you need (dates and number of people) and what's your budget?
Old Jan 21st, 2009, 06:33 PM

HEY, Travelzoo has some great deals on hotels too. I use Expedia all the time. I totally recommend them. I stayed at the Sheraton Manhattan a few years ago. Did all the travel with Expedia and it was great. Can't say anything good about the airports and crowds/security. But can't blame Expedia for that.
Old Jan 22nd, 2009, 08:46 AM

One trick for Hotwire is if you put in air and hotel for your trip, it has to tell you the name of the hotel so then you know the sale-priced rate plus the name of the hotel. When you call the hotel and ask if they will match the price, chances are they will. I did it last week and got a week at Crowne Plaza for $195/night.