Needed: Last minute (sort of) hotel for NYC

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4th, 2004, 08:07 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Long story, but we no longer have a place to stay for our June 10-14th NYC trip. Reception reservations have been made and nonrefundable flights have been purchased- so we are going!

Can anyone suggest a last minute deal in New York? We are definitely on a budget, but need something comfortable. I haven't started searching yet- don't even know where to begin. I thought I might get some good advice from my alway handy Fodorites.

I'm headed to start searching and will check back!
Thanks so much!
Jenelle
Old Jun 4th, 2004, 09:02 PM

Is there just the two of you?
How about Priceline or Hotwire?
Check out http://www.betterbidding.com and read both about bidding in NYC and much more cheaply in Jersey City, which apparently has a very convenient proximity to Manhattan.
Even with Priceline, NYC hotels are quite expensive, but maybe you will be lucky.
Old Jun 4th, 2004, 09:07 PM

Here's another recommendation for Hotwire or Priceline if we=2 people.

I've always been extremely pleased with Hotwire rates and hotels. With Priceline, I've gotten substantially lower rates though.

If you know what you're doing with either, you can hardly go wrong for those rates. I, personally, don't expect quite as much (but almost) for the ridiculously low rates you can get with Hotwire and Priceline.
Old Jun 5th, 2004, 04:38 AM

You may want to try Quikbook as well. Have never used it since I live in NY but have heard from out of town friends that it usually has good discounts and you get to pick whihc hotel you want.

Would not recommend staying outside of Manhattan to save money. No matter how close you are the trip is fairly long - especially at rush hours - and the trip in/out is never free - although it can be inexpensive - but only if you are right near a train ot bus stop. the you usually have additional duway costs one you get to town - since little is walkable from the major stations.

Why not try for a hotel in a less expensive area - like the upper west side?
Old Jun 5th, 2004, 05:26 AM

Jenelle, just did some detective work on your trip and discovered you're coming for a wedding on LI so will be travelling on the LIRR. With that info, one idea is to go to Applecorehotels.com Their prices are $130-170 night depending on hotel & day of the week. The Red Roof is closest to Penn Station but I think the Ramada Inn in their group might be a bit cheaper.

I also agree Priceline is ideal for a short stay if there are just 2 of you.

Another thing to check is parksouthhotel.com--a very nice hotel that often has weeekend specials.

That should give you a good start.

You could also stay on Long Island but then you'd have to rent a car.