NYC HOTEL CHOICE AT CHRISTMAS

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22nd, 2003, 08:51 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are in the process of making arrangements for our annual pre-Christmas trip to NYC. Which hotel would you chose? We normally opt for one of the suites, if available, or one of the better room categories.

Four Seasons
The Peninsula
Ritz Carlton (Central Park)
St. Regis
The Plaza

Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks!
Old Nov 22nd, 2003, 06:32 PM

I would suggest The Palace, it is really beautiful over the holidays, and it is very close to all the shopping on Madison and 5th Ave.

Have a fun time while you are here.
Old Nov 22nd, 2003, 06:36 PM

Your list has the best hotels in NYC so can't go wrong. Peninsula has GREAT location on 5th Ave, with Rockefeller Center, Saks, St. Patricks all within one block. St. Regis is also fabulous, just a few blocks away. Depends on what you like, also. St. Regis is great, but more classical in design as is the Plaza, while Peninsula and Four Seasons are more modern. Just can't go wrong.
Old Nov 23rd, 2003, 02:29 AM

I love the Peninsula. It's luxuries are made for serious shoppers. A search under my screen name should bring up my comments from August or September.

All of your places have great locations. The St. Regis and Peninsula have identical locations on either side of Fifth.

I am not that crazy about the Palace. I guess I can't get the memory of "Oklahoma" being played on a harp
Old Nov 23rd, 2003, 03:59 AM

Scuba, have you reserved yet ? We ended up at the Ritz in Battery Park at this time of year last year (only hotel with vacancy) ; very inconvenient I thought, although very quiet location. We went on the weekend that they light up the tree at Rockefeller, around Dec. 10.  Someone told me it's one of the busiest weekends of the year.
Old Nov 23rd, 2003, 04:57 AM

I think you could safely put all five names in a hat and draw. They're all good choices. I'd probably eliminate The Plaza first though as it's hard to be guaranteed a really nice room there. I loved the Peninsula, but if I had to choose between these five, I think I might choose St. Regis for its really traditional and elegant charm and service.
Old Nov 23rd, 2003, 05:02 PM

I just posted a current (not so favorable) review of the Peninsula.
I've stayed at most of the places on your list (excpt the RC CP) and would recommend a suite at the FS or St. Regis, of the places I've stayed.
The top hotels in the city are definitely the FS, SR and RC (Central Park).

Never trust the Plaza. Like playing roulette...a few good rooms a few mediocre ones, a lot of disappointing ones.