Search

NYC Help

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24th, 2003, 07:15 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NYC Help

Myself and my two teenage daughters will be going to NYC to visit Columbia and have to stay in a Residence Inn (free voucher). My choices are New Rochelle, West Orange, and Newark airport. They all seem to be about the same distance but since we will probably be arriving late after a Broadway show, which would be the safest and easiest to access? Do any of them have restaurants, shops, etc. in the vicinity? Thanks for any help!
Old Feb 24th, 2003, 07:31 PM

This is a tough one.
I'm not familiar with the West Orange location, so can't comment on that. I would have to say in terms of easiest access & stuff immediately near the hotel, the location in New Rochele would fit the bill. It is located in downtown, in a brand new complex called New Roc City. It's sort of those shopping, family restaurant, movie house combo places you now find in many places. So everything is new. Additionally, you can take the MetroNorth train to/from New Rochelle into Manhattan, via Grand Central. The Metro North station is only a several block walk from the New Roc City complex.
Although the Newark Airport could also be a choice, there wouldn't be anything you could walk around to there.
Old Feb 25th, 2003, 06:27 AM

I don't know anything about the New Rochelle area, but given your criteria and Anthony's description above, that's the location i would choose.

West Orange is a nice town, but not easily accessible to mass transit (other than potential bus line) and i think would not have frequent service later at nite. Newark is nearby and convenient with the PATH train, but not an area you'd want to be walking at nite with 2 teenage daughters... everything would probably be alright, but it wouldn't be a comfortable/secure feeling.

Double check the train schedule from New Rochelle, ask the hotle if they offer a shuttle to the train or how far of a walk/cab ride it is, and if all of their answers are acceptable then i think your decision has been made.
Old Feb 25th, 2003, 07:33 AM

Maureen, I hope you realize none of these locations is very convenient to being in New york City. West Orange & New Rochelle are both suburban areas. Newark is probably the closest to the city in mileage but will be the least attractive in terms of shops, restaurants etc. Columbia is all the way uptown Manhattan so New Rochelle is probably the closest to the school. Will you have a car or are you depending on public transport? Are you sure you can't spring for a hotel room? Great deals on hotels if you do some research. Doesn't the school suggest reasonable accomodation? Are you sure there's not a residence Inn in the city?
Old Feb 25th, 2003, 08:19 AM

If you are going to NYC "collge shopping" staying in any of your choices will give you a very unreal impression of the college. Nobody would go to Columbia and live that distance away during their college years. There are hotels in NYC on the Upper West Side which will be convenient to the college and a short subway or taxi ride from the theatre. Taking a train and then the subway to visit a college will be a hassle.
Old Feb 25th, 2003, 10:59 AM

I don't see anything wrong with staying for free outside NYC. What's the difference whether you stay in midtown or New Rochelle? Either way, you're not staying in the Columbia neighborhood so your impression of the area will be formed based on the time you're visiting the campus or visiting the neighborhood.

When you tour Cornell, unless you stay at the expensive hotel on campus, you're not staying in the neighborhood. If you stay in Boston when visiting Harvard, you're not staying in the neighborhood. Maureen04, there's no reason why you won't be able to get a good sense of what Columbia is like and still enjoy the theater (it's a quick walk or cab ride from the theater district over to Grand Central Station where you can catch the train to New Rochelle).

For recommendations for eating in New Rochelle (or whichever place you end up staying), check with chowhound.com, a user forum with lots of knowledgeable food people.
Old Feb 26th, 2003, 08:13 AM

Maureen, I was just doing asearch here and came across a post that said there's a Quality Inn at Broadway & 94th St. with rates "as low as $75/nite". This location would be equidistant between Columbia & the theater district and you'd be IN Manhattan. Thought you might want to check it out. It's a residential area with shops & restaurants.