Reload this Page >

NYC during Repubican Convention

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24th, 2004, 09:15 AM
bhewitt

Thinking of coming to NYC next week Sept. 1-4, due to a good deal! It is always fun, but should we postpone until after the RNC? What do the locals say about crowds, security hassles, threats, etc.? With a city that size, will you even notice extra crowds?

Old Aug 24th, 2004, 09:23 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The opinions run from "Come on in!" from Mayor Bloomberg to "You've got to be kidding!" from everyone else. There will be frozen zones, demonstrators with unknown agendas, cops without a contract threatening to walk out instead of protecting/restraining the demonstrators, bus and subway re-routings, traffic jams, security checks, and who knows what else. On the other hand, enough people will be avoiding the city to make touring areas outside of the frozen zones easier, we think. If you come, try to get a hold of one of the "peaceful demonstration" buttons the mayor is offering. It will get you discounts on food and stuff. Only in New York!
Old Aug 24th, 2004, 09:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you stay away from Midtown, you probably won't even notice the crowds. In fact it may be LESS crowded due to many commuters staying home.
Old Aug 24th, 2004, 09:36 AM
GoTravel

Beware of white collar middle aged men in Midtown sporting "re-elect Bush" buttons.

They aren't allowed south of 14th Street outside Wall Street so you would be safe there.

Old Aug 24th, 2004, 09:49 AM

Virtually everyone who can is leaving town. Most everyone left in town will be tourists and protestors. It is up to you whether you want to deal with the inconveniences of frozen zones, security, and protests.
Old Aug 24th, 2004, 10:24 AM
bhewitt

Do you know where the "frozen zones" will be? What exactly are they, and will they change locations? Is that something that would be publicized in the paper each day, so you could avoid?

Old Aug 24th, 2004, 02:45 PM
mp

Try www.nyc.gov or www.nynewsday.com for logistical info.
It will be very strange in Manhattan next week. So far I know 3 residents who will still be here. But one is a doctor on the city emercency team . . . .
Sorry - some of us are a bit cynical. personally I think it will be fine as long as you avoid midtown. Bet you'll even be able to have dinner at all the hip places in the meatpacking district at a reasonable hour!
Old Aug 24th, 2004, 03:35 PM

Sorry - the city will not be deserted. I'm on the UWS and moost of the people I know will be here - except for those leaving for the weekend anyway.

But, most people will be avoiding the MSG area as much as possible - partly to avoid security delays - and partly to avoid the republicans (they're kind of scary to us - essentially extinct in this neighborhood).
Old Aug 24th, 2004, 03:58 PM

I'm so glad Republicans are virtually extinct somewhere ! I'm surrounded by 'em around here!
Old Aug 24th, 2004, 05:12 PM

A frozen zone around Madison Square Garden will be in effect for the full event. Effectively the immediate blocks around MSG including 7th Avenue and 8th Avenue.

You may also have "moving" frozen zones as the Bush/Cheney motorcades move about and around the Waldorf-Astoria, the usual site that the POTUS uses.
Old Aug 28th, 2004, 08:44 AM

I heard some disturbing talk in my office that the demonstrators are planning on throwing marbles on the ground to trip up the police horses.

If anyone who is there and sees this please report it, it makes me sick to think a person would do such a thing.
Old Aug 28th, 2004, 11:46 AM

Well the city is certainly getting interesting with the RNC preparations. Um, I guess more interesting is closer to the description.

Last night I did some shopping and then walked up 8th Ave from the Village to go to the Loews Movie theatre on 34th between 8th and 9th.

8th Ave is blocked and each car going up the Avenue is stopped and checked. I was kind of surprised that the police did not ask for ID as I walked behind all the trailers, but I am guessing that will start today. Also the Post Office on 33rd and 8th was closed it is usually open 24/7.

There are also helicopters in the air with search lights and I am sure lots more security than we even know about.

There is going to be a HUGE, did I mention HUGE protest tomorrow something like 250,000 people marching all around the convention site. The organizers wanted to end the march in Central Park, but the city would not grant a permit.

There is alot of police presence everywhere, so the city certainly is ready for any problems.

All that said, alot of people are leaving town, after all this is a Democratic City (Ummm, how come we have a Republican Major???)

So come and have fun!!!
Old Aug 29th, 2004, 03:06 AM

I'm a New Yorker (UWS), and think I'm qualified to give an opinion because I work in the same building as the Republican National Headquarters (in Madison Square Garden (on top of Penn Station) so I am sort of "in the thick of things" you might say.
First, not everyone who stays in town will be tourists and vacationers. Many of us are staying,
Have been riding the elevators with the "Reps" for the past month, and I must say they are wicked easy to identify, even without buttons. Have overheard some pretty funny conversations .

To get to my job, I go through Penn Station twice a day. Last night I was there, and saw almost as many Police, Secret Police, and National Guardsmen as travelers. We taxpayers here are spending a fortune. The Barricades and stanchions are mostly on all on the blocks surrounding the area of MSG.
I have also heard the stories of anarchists wanting to throw marbles onder the hoofs of the horses, and entering the subways with the small of gunpowder on their clothes to confuse the bomb sniffing dogs. It might happen, who can predict anarchist behavior?

So I plan to avoid taking the subways at rush hour, and will walk to work (50 blocks) good way to stay in shape!)

I think crowds will likely be a hassle, but I will deal with that going to work daily. There is no way I can stay home. There is plenty of information available in the media about what areas are likely to be affected the most, so if you visit, you can plan around this, unless you are planning to join them.

to bhewitt, yes, we are a large city, but we WILL notice the extra crowds, believe me.

As for security, don't know about others, but I now have to show 2 forms of ID, be ready for bag checks, and body scans to get into the office where I am working next week, but that might be different elsewhere.

It's early Sunday morning, just before the biggest demonstration. Luckily, I found a group a people who share my commitment to NONviolent protest, and I plan to march beside them, hoping those crazy out of town anarchists stay away from us. I'm sure there will be many who will go the Central Park to exercise their "rights". Later, if I do go the Park, it will be to help pick up the garbage that is likely to be left behind. We like to keep our parks clean, after all, and this will stretch our resources in a huge way.

As for threats, I believe we have been living under threats for quite awhile now anyway, Some days are easier than others, but it's always around, and we can either live with fear, or go through it and move on with our day! I like the second option better!

So if you love to visit NYC, please come and enjoy your time here fully! There is always so much to do, although next week will surely be intense, It might be an amazing memory!

The Democratic Process has never been famous for being quick, easy, or convenient, but it's what we do. Maybe next time around those Reps will choose your town, and you can have the same fun!

Hope you're coming!

Old Aug 29th, 2004, 04:20 AM
JJ5

Thanks, sognatrice2. THANK YOU! Your report is exactly what those travelers entering NYC needed.

Keep the positive attitude, it's terrific.