Search

NYC: chocolates downtown?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20th, 2008, 11:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NYC: chocolates downtown?

Hi All

I will only have one chance to get in to the city, Christmas Eve, before our 7pm dinner reservation at Lavagna in the EV.

I have broken feet and can't get around without the kind help of my family, who will soon be sick of me. We have scheduled stops to pick up special things at Russ and Daughters (Houston St) and Blackhound Bakery (10th St).

I would also like to buy some nice chocolates but I don't like Max Brenner or the Australian place on St Marks.

Can anyone recommend another store for good filled dark chocolates near the EV? I am willing to go to Soho, but not willing to go into Dean and Deluca on Xmas Eve, with a walker or wheelchair.

Merry Christmas.
Old Dec 20th, 2008, 12:26 PM

This is a chocolate directory of Manhattan. There's Alison Nelson's Chocolate Bar at 127 East 7th (1st Ave & Ave A)

http://www.tenementcity.com/index_chocolate3.html
Old Dec 20th, 2008, 02:22 PM

I don't know if this is too far west for you, but Jaques Torres has a store at 350 Hudson St (near King St, one block below Houston).
Old Dec 20th, 2008, 05:57 PM

Candy and Chocolates

*Economy Candy (Established 1934)
108 Rivington Street
I am not sure they make anything on premises but they do have every candy still in production at very good prices. If you are a fan of candy stores, you will want to be buried here.

Evelyn’s Hand Dipped Chocolates
4 John Street
The best value for hand made chocolate in NY. It is clearly not the best, but most candy is made by hand and Evelyn can be seen slipping in and out from behind the counter. The cost is a fraction of the top notch candy stores. This is the type of place you find in a quaint town with quaint people. This 9/11 survivor should be supported.

*Jacques Torres Chocolates
Various Locations
For some reason people know the Brooklyn location better than the one on Hudson Street. Their truffles are exquisite as are all the chocolates and the hot chocolate. The lines are extraordinary on Valentine’s Day.

*Kee’s
80 Thompson Street
Kee was a banker or a lawyer before she started making the best truffles in NYC. Some are Asian influenced each variety is better than the next. This is a must stop for chocolate cuckoos.

*Teuscher
Various locations
Truffles are flown in from Switzerland. I once bought some for a chocolate loving friend who about to get married. While eating the truffles, this modest woman was made sounds that are usually reserved for her husband. Although she was completely embarrassed, I knew I bought the right gift.

There are many chocolate stores in midtown that make exceptional products but I have not enough experience to add them to the list. These include Richart, Maison du Cholat, and Pierre Marcolini. Just turn your pockets inside out for a taste.

Old Dec 20th, 2008, 06:50 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the recs.
Old Dec 21st, 2008, 10:16 AM

When it comes to chocolate, I always go to the Rockafella center area as there are many choices there.

My favorite is La Mason du chocolate-the best.

There is a Teuscher, Godiver chocolate and a small Dean and Deluca which does not have chocolate i don't think.

Hope this helps.
Old Dec 21st, 2008, 01:09 PM
mp

BUT BLACK HOUND HAS GREAT CHOCOLATES!!!! They make their own - they are terrific. Why go to another place? They started out as a chocolatier. They are known for their chocolates.
check out the website:
http://www.blackhoundny.com/chocolates.cfm

If you must drag yourself somewhere else, try Michel Cluziel in ABC Carpet, Broadway and 19th St.

Avoid Max Brenner.
Old Dec 21st, 2008, 01:17 PM

I've purchased chocolates at the Godiva on Lexington between 50th and 51st.
Old Dec 22nd, 2008, 04:35 PM
Original Poster

mp: that is wonderful news! I saw those on Black Hound's website, but I thought they only had those gift baskets. Didn't know I could get chocolates there otherwise, or that they were great. I'm happy.

I thank everyone for the recommendations, but I wont be going above 10th Street. I'm lucky that my family has agreed to these few stops. DH is NOT happy but I can't stay in forever.

I mentioned in my OP that I don't like Max Brenner or Australian Homemade... both are yucky. But I will be trying the chocolates at BH.

MP: do they do chocolates other than truffles, which are all that they mention on their website.
Old Dec 22nd, 2008, 04:57 PM
mdn

Vosges in Soho is amazing and has a lot of funky flavors which surprisingly go really well. They have more traditional stuff too as well as caramel toffees etc.. Our friends from Switzerland always bring us wonderful Swiss treats and we return the favor with Vosges when we visit them, which they all love.
http://www.vosgeschocolate.com/

There's a Leonidas store all the way by Hanover Square (Wall Street area).
Sounds like you know your chocolates... In the downtown area, there isn't much else. You then have to go to midtown for Pierre Marcolini, Maison..., Teuscher etc.
Old Dec 22nd, 2008, 04:57 PM
mp

Tle - usually they have a pretty good assortment of filled chocolates and truffles - but it can change from day to day - why don't you just call them and check - they are very nice there.
NEW YORK STORE
M-Th:10am-10:30pm F-Sat:10am-11:30pm Sun:11am-10pm
170 2nd Avenue New York, NY 10003 Phone: 212.979.9505
For all other inquiries, please contact us at [email protected]

CPG's suggestion of Chocolate Bar is good, too, here's their site - http://www.chocolatebarnyc.com/home.html
They are pretty reliable - it seems to me tho, that what they are carrying are actually made by Jacques Torres (the designs of the chocolates in the pix are the same as his) but I could be wrong. They also ave a wide selection, and are just 3 blocks from Black Hound.

Black Hound used to make the best Sacher Torte when they were on 1st Avenue - that was back when I actually ate entire pieces of cake! Now it's one piece of dark chocolate - any thing more and it's 30 minutes on the treadmill. So it better be great chocolate!
Old Dec 22nd, 2008, 04:59 PM
mdn

And oh! Great choice of restaurant in Lavagna!!