Furniture shopping in NYC

Jun 3rd, 2002, 08:58 AM
E.

Furniture shopping in NYC

Can anyone suggest one or two neighborhoods in NYC with a high concentration of furniture stores, new, used and/or antique? (Specific store recommendations would be fantastic, too!) My friend and I will only have 2 full days to shop, and so won't be able to run all around. Thanks a bunch!

Jun 3rd, 2002, 09:10 AM
me

'antique row' is 11th st between b'way and university. Soho has lots of interesting furniture stores.

Jun 3rd, 2002, 09:15 AM
David

No trip to NY to shop for furniture would be complete without at least a brief stop at ABC Carpet and Home, on Broadway around 19th or 20th Street.

It's a HUGE store, with new and antique furniture, home furnishings, and new and antique rugs (across the streets).

Their furniture isn't cheap...but the selection is great and just walking their floors is a fun experience. They also have a huge selection of floor coverings

Jun 3rd, 2002, 10:08 AM
s

Soho is full of furniture stores, Mercer St, Prince,Sullivan,they are mostly expensive though.
And I second the great suggestion of ABC HOme~

Jun 3rd, 2002, 10:21 AM
suzanne

There are also a few other furniture stores on Broadway just north of ABC Carpet & Home.

Also, not to far from there, on 7th Avenue near 16th Street, there are a few furniture stores, including Thomasville, Jensen Lewis (my personal favorite), and Basics. There are a few thrift shops between 6th and 7th that sell couches, chairs, and the like...I believe they are on 17th or 16th Street.

If you have a car, Atlantic Avenue in Brooklyn has a ton of antique stores and a few large thrift stores. Prices here are cheaper than Manhattan. At the Salvation Army store on Atlantic Avenue bought an antique Art Deco mahogany bedroom set for - gasp - $90! Just needed some repainting...now it looks spectacular.

Jun 3rd, 2002, 10:26 AM
patty

I've gotten many things at ABC, including the chair I'm currently sitting in, and I love them. Another store I recommend, although I'm not sure they're still around, is Cobweb on Houston Street, on the northern border of Soho. Cobweb has a lot of antique wood furniture from Mexico, Spain, I think some from Asia.

Jun 3rd, 2002, 07:45 PM
E.

Thanks, everyone! Now the only problem will be what to choose, as an apartment can only hold so much...