Bargain shopping in NYC

Old Oct 24th, 2005, 11:26 AM
Original Poster

Bargain shopping in NYC

My 28-year-old daughter and I will be going to New York next week, and we are interested in fun places where we can find good bargains on clothing and accessories. I know about the Canal Street area and the knock-offs on the street corners of Times Square. Any other suggestions? By the way, we will be staying in the East Village.
Old Oct 24th, 2005, 11:41 AM
GoTravel

Century 21, Daffy's, Bolton, Strawberry, Macy's sales, and Syms to start.

You are wasting your money with knockoffs you buy on the street. Cheap fabrics and cheaply made.

Old Oct 24th, 2005, 12:17 PM

The problem with Daffy's and Century 21 is that they are VERY hit and miss. The Century 21 down by Wall St. is the best of the chain, however. (At least it used to be.) You are better off trying to hit sales in the clothing shops in and around the East Village, West Broadway, Broadway/Houston/Prince St. area, and lower 5th Ave. (around 20th St.) Another great store is H&M on 5th Ave. across from St. Pat's. You have to get there early, however, to get the best stuff. There are several other H&M's in Manhattan.

Sorry, but I think Strawberry and Bolton's is CRAP. I used to be in the fashion biz in Manhattan years ago. Does anybody remember Charivari?? Now that was a great store. At least we still have Henri Bendel.

Why would you want a knock-off? Buy a real leather bag that you can afford that doesn't look cheap and tacky.
Old Oct 24th, 2005, 12:20 PM

Agree with Thin about Century 21 being hit and miss. My first time there was a big HIT, and I scored a great designer leather jacket for about half price. Mostly it's been "miss" since then, but you never know.
Old Oct 24th, 2005, 12:21 PM

Of course some of us remember Charivari!! Way ahead of its time. For discount clothing you could do worse than Loehmann's on 7th Avenue and 17th Street.....you can take a good, interesting walk there from the East Village..it will take about a half hour or so. You should be specific about your tastes to get more advice. Knockoffs are CHEESY!!
Old Oct 24th, 2005, 12:52 PM
GoTravel

Yes, Century 21 and Daffy are hit and miss and you must spend time digging but that is true of all discounters.

I'd rather dig in Century 21 than Macy.

Thin Gorgus, you think Bolton and Strawberry are crap but H&M sells quality merchandise????

Old Oct 24th, 2005, 01:41 PM
Original Poster

We live in California and we're looking for casual clothing. Something you'd wear around Berkeley or Santa Cruz, if you're familiar with the areas.
Old Oct 24th, 2005, 01:51 PM

"You are wasting your money with knockoffs you buy on the street. Cheap fabrics and cheaply made."

My wife had a LV purse and the zipper broke. She bought a knock-off for less than the cost of repair of the real one and it's still going strong after a LONG time.
Old Oct 24th, 2005, 01:57 PM
GoTravel

Barry, if your wife has a real Louis Vuitton, they will repair and replace the zipper free of charge.

They usually pay for the shipping.

Old Oct 24th, 2005, 04:18 PM

Well, Barry, I have Louis Vuitton luggage from 1934. It is still going strong too. You get what you pay for.
Old Oct 24th, 2005, 04:49 PM
sandi

If you're thinking Strawberry's or Bolton's or H&M - why bother. You can just as easily shop Marshalls or Target at home.

Century 21 and Daffy's would be the only shops where you might luck out with designer clothing, but it's alot of picking thru not so great stuff. Soho or the East Village shops are more interesting if you catch items on sales.

Take a walk along 7th Ave in the garment center and someone is bound to be handing out a flyer for a sale at some showroom - some are even designer.

For whatever you'd wear in Berkely or Santa Cruz you can find in California and remember - in NY, you pay tax on clothing.

Old Oct 24th, 2005, 10:49 PM

Agree with you Barry! Knock-offs are the way to go!
Old Oct 25th, 2005, 06:16 AM
GoTravel

sandi, Century 21 has not so great stuff? Yes, you have to spend time searching but it is always worth the while for me.

I've gotten a Versace coat, a Fendi handbag, scads of designer jeans, and tons of other really good QUALITY things at Century 21.

Also, you've never shopped at Target if you put it in the same category as Strawberry, Bolton, or H&M.

Old Oct 25th, 2005, 06:29 AM

Sometimes you also get lucky at Filene's basement on Union Square. Also, very often you can find killer deals at Macy's.
Old Oct 25th, 2005, 09:01 AM
E

Pearl River Mart is really fun...
Old Oct 25th, 2005, 11:13 AM

Daffy's, next to Macy's is my favorite intown, I always find great things there.

There are several Filene's around the city, Union Square and 18th and 6th are my favorites.

Loehman's on 17th and 7th is also a great place for good quality at great prices.

Also check New York Magazine for sample sales.

Have a great time.
Old Oct 25th, 2005, 12:50 PM

Gotravel, H&M is much more stylish than Strawberry, Bolton, or even Target, especially the store on 5th Ave. Some H&M stores are tacky, like the one in the King of Prussia Mall. For some reason, the stores in Manhattan get better merchandise, and have men's clothing as well. (I have noticed that Manhattan GAP stores also have a better selection than mall GAP stores.)
Strawberry reminds me of old Fashion Bug.

Yes, I forgot about Pearl River! I have some fantastic red laterns from the store. Great for sandals and robes, too.
Old Oct 25th, 2005, 12:53 PM

ThinGorjus~if you have a LV train case, I'd love to buy it!!
Old Oct 25th, 2005, 12:59 PM
GoTravel

I loved Pearl River when it was dingy and dusty in Chinatown. Too newish in SoHo but still good deals.

ThinGorjus, I've only been to the H&M on Fifth Avenue and not to any others. Agree they put the best merchandise in the better stores.

Old Oct 25th, 2005, 04:58 PM
Original Poster

These are great suggestions! Thank you all so much for your help.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

FODOR'S VIDEO