Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

NYC: Can anyone help me decide between the Beacon Hotel, San Carlos and Radio City Apartments?

Search

NYC: Can anyone help me decide between the Beacon Hotel, San Carlos and Radio City Apartments?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10th, 2000, 05:29 AM
Maria

We (family of 6: 2 adults and 4 children ages 17 to 11!) are planning a week long vacation to NYC this summer and are looking for inexpensive suite-type accomodations with kitchenettes for our stay. Searching this Forum I have come up with 3 potential accomodations that meet our needs. At this point I am just looking for any comments that would help me decide which one might be better. All are in our price range and I am wondering if paying a little more is worth it in terms of quality, space, neighborhood, etc...Here is the scoop:
Radio City Apts in the Rockefeller Center, 2 bedroom suite with kitchenette for $205/night.
Hotel Beacon, Upper West side (75th and Broadway) 2 bedroom suite with kitchenette for $250/night.
San Carlos Hotel on the East side (50th and 3rd) a one bedroom suite with kitchenette for $310/night.
Again, thanks in advance for your help and knowledge! Also, many thanks to previous posters who helped me narrow my search.

Maria

Old Nov 10th, 2000, 05:38 AM
Annie

Hi Maria:
Can you snag that deal at the Radio City Apts right away? I would. The price seems reasonable and the location is ideal. Comments here have always been favorable.
Welcome to NYC!

Old Nov 11th, 2000, 06:53 AM
maria

Annie,

Thanks for your input, anybody else out there with other thoughts?

Maria

Old Nov 11th, 2000, 07:58 AM
Owen

I can't comment on the San Carlos other than to say that the location is less coonvenient when you're doing lots of touristy stuff. I've read good comments about the beacon and many focused on the fact that it's in more of residential neighborhood than the others. By this I mean that if you wish to get a feel for the people of NYC - what it's like to be in an area where many people live (as opposed to a heavy concentration of business and hotels) - it's a good choice. I have stayed at Radio City Apartments and found it the be the most ideal location of any place I've ever stayed in NYC. It's just far enough off the main avenues to be quiet at night, the rooms were clean, spacious and pleasant - not fancy but very acceptable. having ther kitchenette was a huge plus. I find having breakfast food, snacks for late night, fruit and water to carry as during the day... all a major plus. best of all, it's close to so many major subway lines that access to everything is very quick and easy. We came back to the room once or twice each day to freshen up or relax and it was great having it so easy to get to. My vote is for Radio City. If you do decide to stock up on groceries you should find out where the nearest food Emporium is - there should be one within a mile or two and you could get a cab there and back - prices at all the small groceries within easy walking distance are high and selection minimal.

Old Nov 11th, 2000, 12:46 PM
Janet

We just got back from NYC this week. I vote for Radio City as it is so close to restaurants and theaters and time square. Loved Nyc our first time and it was wonderful. If you are going to Statue of Liberty be at Batttery Square for the ferry by at least 7:30 or 8:00
as the box office opens at 8:30 and there will be a line.
Janet

Old Nov 12th, 2000, 10:10 AM
hcw

I stayed at the Beacon last May and liked it a lot -- especially the groceries & delis in the neighborhood. But Radio City Apartments sounds interesting too -- could someone please post the website address so that I can add it to my file for future reference? Thanks!

Old Nov 12th, 2000, 10:37 AM
Patrick

We have booked a month at San Carlos (May), but have a rate at less than half what you got ($145 per night). Granted it is for a month, not a week, but that seems like an awfully big difference. We looked at Radio City and found them very dowdy. It's OK if you don't care at all about decor, but they reminded me of college dorm rooms or a motel 6. Although we've always stayed in Times Square area hotel wise, we are looking forward to the 50th and 3rd location. Lots of nice small "local" type restuarants nearby, and still not a bad walk to the theatre district.

Old Nov 12th, 2000, 06:09 PM
Polly

Although its been a while, my friends/co-workers have stayed at the San Carlos often. The management is friendly. They once got a group of us tickets to a Broadway play. There is a coin washer/dryer in the basement which was convenient. It is clean and safe (for Manhattan)and is a short distance to the subway which allowed me to tour museums and shop alone. In the evenings, we met for shows and restaurants and used taxis and cars with drivers. I have also stayed at a Sheraton and the lobby was much nicer but the quality of the rooms were the same.

Old Nov 12th, 2000, 06:26 PM
Owen O'Neill

I would agree that the decor at Radio City Apartments is a bit on the dowdy side but for my short stay (3 nights) with limited time spent in the room, it was adequate. I think the comparison to a Motel 6 is not too far off the mark but it's probably really a bit better than that. If I was planning on spending some evenings in the room I'd want something a bit nicer. As to the person inquiring about a website - I'm not aware that they have one. Its also not listed in many Internet listings of hotels - I reached them by phone and checked it out in advance when I was in the city on business

Old Nov 12th, 2000, 06:42 PM
Caitlin

Radio City Apartments does have a web site: www.radiocityapartments.com, natch.

Old Nov 14th, 2000, 08:18 AM
help

Here is New York City info for the person just moving here looking for temp housing.......

Old Nov 14th, 2000, 09:43 AM
Susan

Just returned from NYC and the Hotel Beacon. Excellent choice for a family.
There is a 24 hour restaurant next door and grocery across the street. The suites are roomy and very clean. The service was nice too. The location is perfect for all of the NYC tourist needs.

Old Nov 20th, 2000, 10:30 AM
Annie

Topping this for Ian's question on Milford Plaza.

Old Jan 5th, 2001, 09:06 AM
AC

Up again for KATHY!

Old Jan 14th, 2001, 05:51 PM
Susan

If you decide to stay at the Beacon ask for one of the corner rooms with windows on two sides. I used to stay there with firends and the price was no more for the corner room. I also like the neighborhood, across the street from Zabar's and neighborhood coffee shops like the one on Sienfeld.

Old Jan 14th, 2001, 06:10 PM
Patrick

Interesting that this old post was brought back up. We did a short visit to NYC in December and checked out the San Carlos Hotel than we had booked for the month of May. We cancelled our reservation. The halls were tired, dark, and rather seedy. The suite was nice enough, except for the old closets with peeling shelves and a handful of old wire hangers. The bath was fairly large, but an old pedestal sink with no where to put any toiletries and major rust stains in the tub. Guess we are just a little picky for that. We had eliminated Radio City Apartments before that as they were even less attractive and well kept. We are now booked at a small private place called The Allen House at 3rd Avenue and 71st Street, same price as San Carlos, but a lot better kept and more attractive. Also looking forward to a more "neighborhood" area.

Old Jan 5th, 2002, 11:02 AM
Annie

also up for Maurice!

Old Jan 5th, 2002, 04:18 PM
Lois

The Beacon Hotel is really nice; not at all seedy. I have seen rates of about $145 on Expedia, which is about as low as you can get for good quality accommodation. Since it is in a residential area, there are lots of family-friendly, reasonably-priced restaurants around; and if you ever want to bring food in, to keep those huge meal tabs down(there's a kitchenette in Beacon rooms) you can go a few blocks along to Zabar's, which is another "must see" while in New York, with packaged meals to take out. You can also pretend to be NY natives and take out from any restaurant, if the kids are grouchy from too much sight-seeing. It is close to the subway, an easy walk to Lincoln Center, Mus.of Nat. History, Central Park, walkable to theaters (okay, not a short walk, but I've done it, and with kids, too). the area is much more relaxing than the Radio City area. Probably the busiest movie-plex in Manhattan is just a couple of blocks down on Broadway. Are any of your 4 kids girls? Do they like dance? They can take an open class with fabulous teachers at Broadway Dance, 57th and Bway, or Steps on Bway. Keep 'em busy and happy.

Old May 3rd, 2002, 12:00 PM
ttt

up for marcie