Search

NYC Brunch/Lunch

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24th, 2005, 01:25 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NYC Brunch/Lunch

Looking for a quick inexpensive but good lunch around Times Square on Saturday after we arrive. Also, on Sunday, going to Yankee's game starting at 1:00 and looking for an early brunch/breakfast place around Times Square before we leave or at least on the way to the stadium. Also - lunch around the UN?? Have two teenage daughters in tow!! Thanks for any help.
Old Jun 24th, 2005, 01:42 PM

Right off Times Square to the west on 44th Street -- Ollie's Noodle House, very good, abundant food, and downright cheap. I love the "little bit of everything" (or something like that) soup, which is a great meal. Or get several Chinese dishes and share.

Don't know the name, but on 8th Avenue, at the corner of 44th, opposite the Westin is a coffee shop that is good and cheap, full breakfasts.
Old Jun 24th, 2005, 02:31 PM

If you are going to a Yankees game at 1 pm you should plan on arriving there by 11:30 am at the latest.

First - there are 50,000 people all trying to get in at once - which is a slow process given the extent of security (you cannot take in anything larger than a small purse). If you see the games on TV you will note the # of empty seats at the start of the game - this is not unsold tickets - just bad planning. All those people are in huge lines outside the stadium.

Second - when you go really early you get to see batting practice etc - and if lucky may wend you way down for an autograph (much better if you are aged 10 or less).

So for lunch - you just eat some of the disgusting stuff at the Stadium.
Old Jun 24th, 2005, 02:35 PM

Incidentally, assuming you are from Atlanta, then I understand your idea of "brunch" meaning something in the morning -- between breakfast and lunch. But in New York, brunch seems to be more like lunch and supper combined. I've seen brunches that didn't start till noon or even 1 PM and go till late in the afternoon.
Old Jun 24th, 2005, 04:09 PM
Original Poster

Patrick, You are right. In Atlanta, brunch is usually from 11:00 until 1:00 at the latest. That is why I've had trouble finding something in NY earlier. I guess "breakfast" is a better term for the earlier time we are needing! Also, how long is the train ride from Times Sq. to the stadium?