NYC, Boston, or DC?

Old Oct 27th, 2002, 04:33 PM
Michele

NYC, Boston, or DC?

My husband and I are planning a 4 day getaway for our 5th anniversary the 1st weekend in December. Can't decide between, NYC, Boston or DC. Have been to NYC but not to Boston or DC. Enjoy really good food, shopping, museums/ sightseeing. Going to bid on Priceline for hotel. Appreciate any help deciding!

Old Oct 27th, 2002, 05:07 PM
xxx

There is nothing like NYC dressed up for the holidays! I'd go to the Big Apple.

Old Oct 27th, 2002, 05:14 PM
Leslie

Although I live outside of Boston, but do work in Boston, I would also vote for NYC in December. There's just so much more to do in NYC in five days, and it would be very romantic for an anniversary.
FYI,
Priceline just combined two of the zones into one in NYC -- the Financial District and Soho/Tribeca are in one zone now.

Old Oct 27th, 2002, 06:46 PM
crusty

I love NYC and go there at least twice a year but I've really enjoyed going to DC. My job takes me to the northwast every so often and I try to piggy back side trips to different locations.

You must go to DC. Hotels are relatively cheap. HOTWIRE.com is awesome ... good prices. I like to stay near the DuPont circle (shops and restaurants). Federal sites are free! Nothing in NYC or Bean town is free. Check out all the Washington locations that you see on the tube. The National Museum is one of the finest in the world.

Old Oct 27th, 2002, 06:49 PM
AB

NYC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Manhattan............ice skating at rockefeller center.....NBC tour of studio??if possible....empire state bdg...

Old Oct 27th, 2002, 07:12 PM
crusty

I love NYC and go there at least twice a year but I've really enjoyed going to DC. My job takes me to the northwast every so often and I try to piggy back side trips to different locations.

You must go to DC. Hotels are relatively cheap. HOTWIRE.com is awesome ... good prices. I like to stay near the DuPont circle (shops and restaurants). Federal sites are free! Nothing in NYC or Bean town is free. Check out all the Washington locations that you see on the tube. The National Museum is one of the finest in the world.

Old Oct 27th, 2002, 09:58 PM
r-travels

I love all three cities, but also vote for DC. Lots of free stuff, lots of important things - the "Wall" & other monuments, buildings. Not as hurried at NYC, nor as dirty, and much better prices for much larger rooms. More parks where you can sit & relax or "people-watch". I also like Dupont Circle area for lodging. Alexandria Old Town and Georgetown nice too.

Old Oct 28th, 2002, 05:00 AM
Jen

Since you've been to NYC before, and since budget seems to be a consideration, I'll also vote for DC. NYC is indeed very exciting in December, but also very crowded and expensive.

Old Oct 28th, 2002, 05:23 AM
Paul Rabe

This is a toughie, because I love all three cities so much.

Boston is at the bottom because of the time of year. It'd be my choice in summer, but even early December can be brutal.

New York would be my choice for five days in December *IF* you had never been there before. It just has better food and shopping (even though Washington is GREAT in both)

But I'm going to recommend Washington because (1) you've never been there and (2) it'd be less hectic. On a romantic trip, slowing down the pace is important. So wander among the museums and monuments, check out the Georgetown area, and enjoy the sweep of history and power all around you.

Old Oct 28th, 2002, 06:46 AM
bennie

Lest anyone comes to the conclusion that Boston is not a great city to visit for Christmas, here's my top ten things to do between Thanksgiving and Christmas:

1. Shopping on Newbury St and Charles St- all lit up like a Christmas card.
2. Going to see the Nutcracker - The Boston Ballet puts on the most wonderful performance.
3. Strolling through the Common at dusk with the lights on the trees.
4. Skating at the Frog Pond on the Common.
5. Tea at the Ritz - the old Ritz has reopened after being completely renovated. Tea at the Ritz before the Nutcracker is a Boston tradition.
6. Drinks at the Bristol Lounge at the Four Seasons.
7. Great dining in the South End and the North End.
8. Boston Pops Holiday concerts - sing along with Santa.
9. The Handel & Hayden Society performing The Messiah.
10.Isabella Stewart Gardener museum decorated for the holidays.

Old Oct 28th, 2002, 07:29 AM
diane

Even though I've been to NYC too many times to count, I'd still say hands down, go to NY. There's so much going on that time of year - you can take in a show at Radio City, take a carriage ride in central park, visit the Met for practically free (ignore the admission price - you just donate whatever you feel like), see the storefronts all done up in extravagant displays, not to mention the tree in Rockefeller Center -I could go on and on.

Plus, NY has some great B&B's to add to the romance factor. However if you're set on bidding on priceline, stick to 4 stars on the Upper East Side, bec. IMO anything in the Times Square/midtown area isn't going to be as romantic.

Old Oct 28th, 2002, 09:23 AM
Beth2

Go Bennie! Boston is great, albeit chilly, for romantic winters. Haven't you ever seen "Love Story?!" If you can get a good rate, staying at the Four Seasons would be ideal. If not, Marriot Copley is a good location too. I agree with all of Bennie's suggestions on the "TO DO" list!

Old Nov 7th, 2002, 03:25 AM
Rae

Bennie - love your list.

We visit Boston from the UK every December - for most of the reasons that you list! Its one of the loveliest cities in the world - especially at Christmas (cold or not - you can always wrap up!).

Having said that, I've been to NYC and DC this year too - both equally world class cities (and thanks to the many people we met in both who were so welcoming to us) - you'd be sure to have a great time with the museums and sight-seeing. We stayed at the Embassy Suites (22nd N I think) and it was great - superb service, lovely suite and a huge breakfast every morning (which you walk off touring the museums and buildings).

Tough choice Michelle but I would go for Boston or DC - with Boston having the Christmassy edge....very romantic.

Or how about coming to the Cotswolds in the UK - very Dickensian!

Have a great trip! (and now I'm really looking forward to being in Boston again in 5 weeks time)

Old Nov 7th, 2002, 08:29 AM
Elisa

No second thoughts - New York - at holiday time especially, DC in the spring when the cherry blossoms flourish.