NYC: Best way to get from Newark airport to Washington Square Hotel

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9th, 2004, 08:46 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Four moms and their 13-year old daughters are heading to NYC tomorrow for the weekend. We're flying into Newark and want to take the bus to Manhattan. We're staying at the Washington Square Hotel. The bus has several drop-off choices including Penn Station, Grand Central Station, and at Lafayette St/Walker St. From there, we'd like to be able to take the subway to the closest stop near the hotel.

Can anyone tell me which bus stop would be best to catch the subway, which subway to get on, and which subway stop we should get off? Another option is to cab it from the closest bus stop, but I'd really like to use public transportation for the experience!

Thank you!
Old Dec 9th, 2004, 08:53 AM

With that many people,it is best to go with one the shuttle services offered from EWR to Manhattan. You might end up with your own private van directly to your hotel. Public transportation is no fun when you are carrying luggage. Take the subway to go sight seeing. Have fun.
Old Dec 9th, 2004, 08:55 AM
GoTravel

If there are 8 of you, four moms and four daughters, I would line up a car service/limo as the price will be comparable and drop you off directly at your hotel.

That is a lot of luggage schlepping to do for 8 people if you are using bus and subway.

We always use Tel-Aviv.

Old Dec 9th, 2004, 09:20 AM
QC

Everyone is old enough to carry their own bags, so here is my suggestion:

PATH train.

The PATH is a subway system that goes from New Jersey into Manhattan. It's also only $1.50 per person, so it's actually cheaper than the NYC Subway.

Take a bus or taxi to Newark Penn Station. From there, you can get directly on the PATH. Take a "33rd St" bound train to 9th Street. You will be 3 blocks from the hotel when you get out of the station at 6th Avenue and 9th Street. There are no transfers other than getting to Downtown Newark, which can also be done by train from Newark Airport.

Have a great visit!

Map here:

http://www.panynj.gov/path/pathmaplinks2.html
Old Dec 9th, 2004, 10:30 AM
QC

Sorry, my mistake.

You WILL have to make a cross-platform transfer at Journal Square for the 33rd Street bound train.

All Newark trains go straight to the World Trade Center stop.
Old Dec 9th, 2004, 11:09 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for your suggestions. The bus from the Newark airport is $11.50 roundtrip per person with children under 16 riding free. A great deal! We're all trying to reserve our money for shopping! I've taken the bus before and it's very easy to catch at the airport and a smooth ride.

I checked on the Tel-Aviv but it's too expensive for us ($95 for four people in a van). The Path sounds good ($1.50) but having to travel from the airport to the Newark Train station, then change trains to get to 9th street, then walk three blocks sounds like a lot of schlepping. I can hear the kids whining already.

If we take the bus to Manhattan, would it be a shorter cab ride to the hotel from Penn Station or the Lafayette/ Walker drop off ? Seems like the Lafayette/Walker spot is closer but I may be wrong.

Thanks again for all your help!
Old Dec 9th, 2004, 11:32 AM
QC

Yes, that's right, Lafayette and Walker is closer than Penn Station (7th Ave @ 32nd Street).

Take a taxi (you will need two), it will be the almost the same price as the $16.00 you will have to pay for the bus or subway for 8 to go uptown.

If you DO want to bus it, take the M6 on Church St (two blocks west of where you will be dropped off). Tell the driver you are going to Waverly Pl. or West 4th St.

Good choice of hotels, your kids are exactly the right age for shopping on 8th Street. Don't forget to get a hot dog at Gray's Papaya.

Bring two rolls of quarters, city buses don't take bills.
Old Dec 9th, 2004, 11:52 AM
Original Poster

Thanks QC. Haven't been to GV myself but my 19YO daughter says it's THE place to be. Hadn't heard of the hotdog place but we'll try it out. So far, we've been told about a place that sells hundreds of kinds of french fries, and another place that sells hundreds of kinds of rice pudding! I'm hoping to find a place that sells hundreds of kinds of wine.

Thanks for your help!
Old Dec 9th, 2004, 12:20 PM
QC

Parker:

The wine store you want to visit is Crossroads, 55 West 14th Street. If they ain't got it, you don't want it.

Gray's Papaya is 8th Street and 6th Avenue, best hot dogs in the world, cheap cheap cheap, crazy exotic fruit drinks, and open 24 hours.

As far as "hundreds of fries", I think your daughter is referring to Pommes Frites on 2nd Avenue at about 7th street. They have one kind of fry (authentic Belgian style), but dozens of dipping sauces.

The rice pudding place is unbearably weird unless you really want Jalapeno-Mesquite or Wasabi rice pudding.

Instead, try the American branch of the European ice cream parlor Australian (they are actualy Belgian) on St. Mark's Place near Avenue A for the richest Vanilla you will ever taste. They sell chocolates, too.

Celebrity Chef Mario Battali has an inexpensive Pizza and Sandwich place called Otto at 1 Fifth Avenue, just 2 blocks from your hotel. If you or your kids watch Food Network, they can brag to the folks back home they ate at a famous person's place.

Greenwich Village had its heyday about 40 years ago, but it is a fun neighborhood for first-time visitors and teens. You should have a blast.

Old Dec 9th, 2004, 12:29 PM
Original Poster

Thanks QC for all of the suggestions and addresses! Our plan tomorrow is to roam around GV, making our way to Soho, Little Italy, and Chinatown (if all that's possible). Saturday, we have tickets to see Chicago so we'll head uptown and wander around there. Sunday, it's St. Patrick's and lunch before heading back to the airport.

We're all about to burst with excitement! Your suggestions are very appreciated.
Old Dec 9th, 2004, 12:39 PM

The bus is only $11.50 round trip? I've paid that price one way but never round trip. Please let me know what service this is so I can take it next time. Thanks!